The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 11, 2000, 08:23 AM   #1
Will Beararms

Each year about this time, I get this urge to make a change on the Whitetail Rifle. I guess it's just the fact that I am anxious. I have decided to stick with the Wal Mart Cheapo Marlin 336W. However, I will probably get rid of the Tasco 4X32 and top it with a Leupold 4X33.

A few years ago, I had a beautiful Browning A-Bolt Medallion. I babied it until a Buck went into a thicket after I shot it. The gun ended up being scratched all to heck. Since that time, I prefer the synthetics or the tough wood finishes of Marlin and Ruger.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully, I'll have some pic files to post this winter.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."
Old July 11, 2000, 10:11 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I reckon falling, stumbling or sliding down a mountain will put hickies on most any stock, if things don't go right. Seems to me it's sorta like putting horns up on the wall: A museum of memories.

Looking at the occasional scratch or ding on my"Pets" brings back memories of where and when it happened. What the day was like. The same for the horns. The only immortality anybody has is in the memories of friends and family. As long as I'm alive, there're a bunch of deer who are immortal, who won't be forgotten.

Dings and scratches on the gun or on me are kinda like Merit Badges--ya had to go out and earn'em. A pristine gun is sorta like a couch-potato fella or an undented racecar; never really been anywhere.

, Art