The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 25, 2005, 10:19 PM   #1
pepsquad

my 03a3

i'm looking to start make my dumpy pawn shop 03a3 look good and more importantly function well. the head space has been checked and it seems to be in good working order 9i've shot it a few times)
my questions are :
has any one ordered a stock from Boyds? i'll probably buy one of thier Dakota XXX grade curl maple. i'm wondering how much sanding is average for thier stocks, and if thier finished are worth anything.
the original trigger has creep not as bad as some i've felt but it's there i'm thinking maybe a timney trigger any opinions?
and finally someone please suggest a good peep sight to put on this thing, i'm thinking mid range expensive.
thanks in advance.
Sarah
Old January 26, 2005, 09:50 PM   #2
Pbridges

Sarah,
I have used a Boyd stock on my Remington Rolling Block. It required a little fitting, and finished out well. I feel it was worth the money that I spent on it.
I do not wish to stir anything up, here. As I recall, the 03A3 already has a peep sight, I think. Why change it?
-Bridges
Old January 27, 2005, 05:52 AM   #3
pepsquad

it does my particular 03A3 only has half of one, someone took off the outer part of it (shaped like a U) and dovetailed the interior part of it and slapped it on the reciever.
i don't like it for two reasons
a. it's ugly someone has dropped it several times
b. it's not very adjustable form side to side.
Old January 27, 2005, 01:55 PM   #4
Joe W

03-A3 Peep Sight

Years ago I installed a Lyman #48 peep ( 1/4 minute adj) on my 03-A3 It worked fine. Doubt it is still made but should be available at gun shows or maybe Numrich Arms. I also installed a Lyman # 17 Front Target sight with interchangeable inserts. Also installed Timney Target trigger which I liked.