The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 21, 2011, 03:51 AM   #1
Max

Beginner AR-15 Competition?

Hi, I am new to shooting and I have myself a new Stag Model 2T, 1-9" twist. I live in California near the Sacramento area.

Everything I read says that a 1-7" twist is mandatory for high powered rifle competitions, can somebody explain to me why this is, and additionally, offer any suggestions for competitions that I can get into in my area, with THIS gun, if any?

Much appreciated.

Cheers!
Old February 21, 2011, 07:58 AM   #2
lmccrock

A twist faster than 1:9" is better than stabilizing the heavier bullets commonly used in highpower. A 9 twist will stabilize bullets to 68-69 gr, and MAYBE as heavy as 75-77, but do not count on it. For reduced range (to 100 or 200 or 300, not 600 yds), the lighter bullets are fine. Lots to learn even at reduced distance.

A 1:8" twist will stabilize the 75-77 bullets, so a 7 twist is not "necessary".

Lee
Old February 21, 2011, 01:45 PM   #3
kraigwy

Quote:
A 1:8" twist will stabilize the 75-77 bullets, so a 7 twist is not "necessary".
Most high power shooter shoot 80 - 90 grn bullets at 600 & 1000 yards, so yes a 1:7 is necessary.

When in doubt always go heavier or faster twist. A 1:7 will shoot lighter bullets but a faster twist will not shoot heavier bullets. This chart shows the compairson.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 21, 2011, 04:08 PM   #4
Max

Are there any competitions that do not include the higher range segment, so that I can enter and be fine shooting my Stag 2T 1-9" twist? Because like I said, I already own the gun, and I would rather not have to buy new parts to compete.

That said, if I MUST have a 1-7" to compete, can I simply buy a new barrel with the proper twist and slap it in my 2HT upper, or is it necessary to have a completely new upper (or lower for that matter) in order for the barrel with a higher twist to be usable?

Thanks!
Old February 21, 2011, 04:23 PM   #5
lmccrock

There are reduced range matches for highpower that do not go out to 600 yds, say, 100 or 200 yds max. Those matches use reduced size targets so the MOA is the same as when the targets are farther - the scoring rings are smaller, but "look" the same size at the reduced distance. Not sure if any of those are around the Bay area.

Lee
Old February 21, 2011, 06:04 PM   #6
Max

Is it possible to buy a 1-7" barrel and stick it in my current rifle, or do I have to buy a whole new upper in order for the new barrel to be compatible?
Old February 21, 2011, 06:21 PM   #7
boltgun71

What type of competition do you have in mind? The competition most of the others are referring to is NRA Highpower competition and is fired at 200, 300, and 600yds traditionally. They do have reduced course matches at 100 or 200yds as well. Your Stag 2T carbine is not allowed for this type of competition by regulation but you may be allowed to shoot it informally at small matches just for the experience. It would still be a great learning experience. As for the twist rate, in Highpower you certainly wont be competitive with the 1-9" twist firing lighter bullets compared to the guys with faster twists and heavier bullets, BUT you did say beginner AR-15 shooting. In that sense who cares what your twist rate and bullet weight is, it dont matter, you just starting out, not out to win medals right away, go shoot with what you currently have, learn and have fun, and if you like it save up to by more competitive equipment and ammo.

As for competitions that your Stag is currently suited for and allowed, there is not too many out there, but your Stag would be welcomed at any 3 gun match where you fire both rifles, shotguns, and pistols in various stages per match. The Stag would be perfect for the rifle portion of a 3 gun shoot. Hope this helps clarify some things. Good luck and I commend you on your search to get involved in competition shooting, it is one of teh best things you can do to become a better shot.
Old February 21, 2011, 06:37 PM   #8
kraigwy

Quote:
That said, if I MUST have a 1-7" to compete, can I simply buy a new barrel with the proper twist and slap it in my 2HT upper
Yes, however if it were me, I'd load up some rounds, get some NRA 100 yard reduced targets and shoot the heck out of it. Wear out that barrel before you move to the 1:7. As others mentioned some have NRA reduced matches at 100 or 200 yards.

Even still the 600 yards is one 1/4 of a normal match, you'll shoot 200 standing and setting rappid and 300 prone rapid. Get good at those ranges and do your best with the barrel you have and the heaviest bullts you can shoot (try 77 SMKs). They may not be the best at 600, but you can make up for it at 2 & 300 yards. Any way, most matches are won or lost standing. You can do that with cheap box store 55s that will work in your gun.

Main thing is don't let it get you down. Jump right in as start shooting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 21, 2011, 11:32 PM   #9
Ken O

Real good info above. Barrels are consumable, good for 2000-4000 rounds usually. The reason for heavier bullets at 600 is better ballistics for wind. If no wind, not much difference.

The 9 twist will probably stabilize a 75 Hornady HPBT or a 77SMK. Try those first, if not, the 69 SMK will do.

Barrels are real easy to change out on an AR. When you shoot at a club, ask around and someone will help you when its time. Keep a barrel log and mark down every round shot at the end of a practice or match. Not hard, just look in the box and see how many are left at the end of the day. Also record all your come ups for each yardage at each range, again not hard. When you come off the line click down and record. Then put your dope on for the next yardage before moving back.

Nothing to get excited about, just go out and have fun.