The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 30, 2016, 09:13 AM   #1
OhioGuy

Has anyone carried the Blackhawk! "TecGrip" holster?

Has anyone carried this: http://www.blackhawk.com/Products/Ho...idextrous.aspx

I picked one up at Cabela's just out of curiosity. It's like the Sticky or Remora holsters, but the material is much thinner. It's still quite grippy, and as I've experimented with it, it doesn't seem to be in danger of going anywhere. If anything it might be at greater risk of being pushed up and falling over your belt (sitting if carrying appendix, for instance) than dropping down the pant leg.

It covers the trigger guard fully, but there's no retention to keep it inside the holster other than the belt squeezing it. If the gun were to slip upwards about 1/2", the trigger could potentially become exposed.

Just wondering whether anyone actually carries one, or has any experience with how well the gun is retained inside. I guess the same question could be asked of Sticky or Remora, although those are made of a more rigid material and seem (to me) like they might be less susceptible to shifting...?

For $20, it was worth it just to try it out. It adds almost zero bulk to the gun, and without a belt clip it doesn't print in the least.
Old December 30, 2016, 10:29 AM   #2
Bob Wright

Quote:
It covers the trigger guard fully, but there's no retention to keep it inside the holster other than the belt squeezing it. If the gun were to slip upwards about 1/2", the trigger could potentially become exposed.
What's wrong with that?

Never let a layer of leather come between your finger and the trigger!

Bob Wright
Old December 30, 2016, 11:49 AM   #3
Ozzieman

Quote:
What's wrong with that?
I'm with Bob on this one for single action holsters. Since the gun is totally safe unless the hammer is pulled back, to me open triggers is not an issue at all.
As far as that holster being made out of cloth I would be concerned about its stretching due to the weight of a BH.
My only experience with cloth holsters it that with a heavy gun their life span can be short if used a lot.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old December 30, 2016, 12:08 PM   #4
lunger

I believe "Blackhawk" is the company that makes this holster,not to carry the Ruger
Old December 30, 2016, 07:52 PM   #5
OhioGuy

Haha! Yes, "Blackhawk!" (including the exclamation point" is the brand of holster. I would be carrying a semi auto with a fairly short trigger.

Although it would be pretty awesome to own a Ruger Black Hawk!!!
Old December 30, 2016, 08:43 PM   #6
Model12Win

I personally would not carry a Blackhawk or Col. Colt's Single Action Revolving Belt Pistol of Army Caliber in one of those holsters. They deserve a nice piece of leather.
Old December 30, 2016, 09:43 PM   #7
OhioGuy

I think I have confused everyone.

This post has absolutely nothin to do with a ruger Blackhawk single action revolver.

It has to do with the holster referenced in the original post, designed to be worn IWB without a belt clip, for a semiautomatic carry gun. The company that makes the holster is called Blackhawk with no connection to ruger.
Old December 31, 2016, 02:40 AM   #8
Koda94

a good holster covers the trigger completely, stays on the belt when undone, is stable, you can always reholster one handed and has some retention...

I think the blackhawk, sticky type holster is a gimmick. Id be curious what you think about it after wearing it a few weeks?
Old December 31, 2016, 09:39 AM   #9
Ricklin

No No No

A thin holster that goes flat when the pistol is removed is the last thing you want. For IWB a holster that is rigid enough to remain open without the gun is critical.
Goggle up Glock Leg.
The key is the ease of reholstering SAFELY!
Old December 31, 2016, 02:26 PM   #10
dogtown tom

Quote:
Bob Wright ....Never let a layer of leather come between your finger and the trigger!
Incredibly poor advice for anyone carrying a semi automatic pistol with no thumb safety.......like a Glock, M&P, Kahr, etc.

Quote:
Model12Win I personally would not carry a Blackhawk or Col. Colt's Single Action Revolving Belt Pistol of Army Caliber in one of those holsters. They deserve a nice piece of leather.
None of those holster is sized to fit a single action revolver.

Quote:
OhioGuy I think I have confused everyone.
Only those that get confused easily. It's readily apparent that that holster is NOT designed for carrying a SAA or Ruger Blackhawk SA revolver.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 31, 2016, 08:16 PM   #11
Model12Win

Quote:
Only those that get confused easily.
What's with the attitude downy T? It was a simple mistake. No need to get wizzy.
Old January 16, 2017, 07:51 PM   #12
orsogato

This looks like another one of Blackhawk's "great ideas," along with its Serpa holster.

No thank you to both - especially the SERPA!!
Old January 17, 2017, 01:28 PM   #13
OhioGuy

So I've tried this for a few weeks, and it's surprisingly better than I would have expected. It's so thin that it adds almost no bulk to the gun at all, so it's nearly invisible and has no belt clip to add bulk. It seems to stay pretty well put, both in height and whatever angle I've tilted it. Stays put both in appendix and about 4:00 positions. Nothing so far has made it slip out so long as my belt is tightened.

I don't for a second buy the idea that it would work with sweatpants.

But for $20 it's a pretty capable holster. I doubt I'll use it, but who knows, if I get some other gun or a backup, I might actually put it into service.