The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 15, 2013, 03:46 AM   #26
Bill Akins

Quote:
Whitebox wrote:
I'd appreciate it if someone could still provide me with an answer.
Whitebox, I provided you with an answer to your first question of:
"one-piece barrel can't take it apart! how to cut the barrel then?"

But you haven't acknowledged my answer to your first question, much less thanked me for my time to write and give you that answer to your question of..."how to cut the barrel then?".....that you asked. I like helping people and hope I helped you, but an acknowledgement of thanks is appropriate in the culture that most of us living in the U.S. recognize. In some cultures in other countries it is considered an insult if one does not belch as a sign of appreciating the meal provided by the host. It's kind of the same show of courtesy and appreciation.

Perhaps if you showed a little courteous appreciation for questions already answered, you'd get more replies for answers to subsequent questions you ask.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; November 15, 2013 at 03:59 AM.
Old November 16, 2013, 10:36 AM   #27
johnwilliamson062

English isn't his first language so navigating the nuances of polite society while getting his point across probably isn't all that easy even if he wants to.
If it is a shotgun cutting the barrel at home with a few tools can be accomplished without ruining the gun. You need more than a hacksaw the get any accuracy at all out of it, but it can be done at home with a few simple tools.
A rifle is a whole other game. First you have to get it cut square. A bznd saw won't do it. Then you have to recrown the barrel. There is a special tool to do this and not sure how you could do it without one. You then have the reattatch the front sight. Doing that correctly may be more difficult than the barrel cut.
The length depends entirely on the cartridge. No one can give you any advice on that without knowing the cartridge.
If you have access to a band saw that will cut a steel barrel you must also have access to a machinist or two. If you are thinking a woodworking bandsaw is going to work for this I think you are in for a surprise.
If you don't care at all about accuracy you aren't using it for hunting.
Old November 17, 2013, 12:58 PM   #28
Dreaming100Straight

I all but deleted this post because when I thought of it I can't tell what that is supposed to be a picture of. I think he is saying that instead of having some kind of tang that fits into the stock this one's stock is attached by those two screws going though holes bored in the receiver and the stock.

It doesn't appear to be any kind of a break action from what I can see and I would like him to explain how the shotshell is loaded. Also how old is it and what kind of a barrel does it have, Damascus or twist.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; November 17, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old December 31, 2013, 09:28 AM   #29
Shootrj2003

White box ,
Perhaps the ones selling you the gun were not totally forthcoming or they simply did not know how to take it apart?most single shot break open shotguns come apart by first taking off the fore arm,sometimes this is secured by a screw to the barrel bottom. Sometimes just spring tension.in the first case unscrew the screw in the center of the forearm then it will pull off downward.in the second case,merely pull down on the forearm -sometimes a hard pull. In my experience this is always with the action closed and locked.after the forearm is removed open the arm as if to load it,when fully open pull the barrel toward the rear and the barrel will come off.i believe what you are looking at as a screw is the hinge pin,which is just a smooth ended pin or a rivet this does not come out normally.
Nearly every gun will come apart,they were put together so they come apart. Sometimes on cheap guns the reciever and barrel are one piece , but not real common.i hope this helps.
Old December 31, 2013, 11:30 AM   #30
natman

OK, whitebox, it's clear that some basic shooting words need to be explained:

Your firearm is a shotgun, not a rifle. A rifle shoots bullets and the inside of the barrel has spiral grooves which spins the bullet to make it stable. A shotgun shoots pellets (usually) and the inside of the barrel is smooth so the pellets do not spin.

Rifle barrels are measured by caliber. A 30 caliber rifle has an inner diameter of roughly .30 inch. Shotgun barrels are measured by gauge. The smaller the gauge, the larger the barrel. Your shotgun is a 12 gauge.

I am sure that it is possible to take your shotgun apart. I would recommend that you not try it until you have a better idea what you are doing. I would also recommend against cutting the barrel for the same reason.

Tags
band saw , cut , hacksaw , rifle barrel