The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old December 16, 2012, 03:26 PM   #1
jag2

Assault gun ban question

Not sure where to post this so feel free to move.
As I remember the ban, there were 5 options that were available on an ar-15 such as the flash hider, pistol grip, hi-cap mags, scope, etc. I'm not sure I got those right but as I remember the law said you could only have (I'm guessing here) maybe 3 of those 5 to be legal. Is that right, can anyone give more specifics? Never had a desire to own one but I know they're going to be a topic of conversation for a while so I'd like to know what I'm talking about.
Old December 16, 2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Don H

Don't make the assumption that any proposed ban, if there is one, will be anything like the expired ban.
Old December 16, 2012, 03:52 PM   #3
jag2

Not making any assumptions, proposals or suggestions. I simply don't remember the details of the ban that did exist, thats all. Since posting I have googled some info and it seems I am fairly close to what it was so if no one wants to discuss, that's fine with me.
Old December 16, 2012, 04:01 PM   #4
patriotic

EBR

I believe these are the evil AR items:
Flash suppressor
Detachable magazine
Adjustable stock
Threaded barrel
Bayonet lug
Barrel less than 16 inches
Pistol grip

If you have a pistol grip you cannot have more than two other evil features.
Magazines are a separate issue (no more than 10 rounds).
Old December 16, 2012, 04:08 PM   #5
ripnbst

The two that I would choose would be the detachable mag and adjustable stock. Might trade adjustable stock for flash hider.
Old December 16, 2012, 06:59 PM   #6
jmr40

Under the 1994-2004 ban most AR type rifles just left off the bayonnete mount and used a a muzzle break in place of a flash hider to be legal. Under the old ban it was illegal to sell the guns with 10+ round mags, unless the mags were manfactured prior to the ban. Buying and using the older 10+ round capacity mags was fine and for the more common handguns and rifles there were plenty available, although at higher prices.

If there is ever a new ban it will be much more restrictive and old guns and mags will not be grandfathered in and there will be no sunset provision. I do not see the votes to make this happen anytime soon. The law passed by 1 vote in 1994 and a large number of those voting for it were voted out of office less than 2 years later.
Old December 16, 2012, 07:09 PM   #7
KMAX

Sen. Diane Feinstein plans to introduce an AWB in the beginning of the new year.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old December 16, 2012, 08:42 PM   #8
mitranoc

Quote:
Sen. Diane Feinstein plans to introduce an AWB in the beginning of the new year.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2311477.html
Old December 16, 2012, 09:49 PM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For this forum, stay with features from the old ban. Don't get into the politics of grandfathering and all that.
Old December 16, 2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Metal god

Sen. Diane Feinstein plans to introduce an AWB day one ( her words ) . She also said that they learned from the last one . That to me means it will be different and more strict . She also stated that the AWB will
Quote:
ban the sale , transfer , importation and the possession not retroactively but prospectively
What does prospectively mean ?

I must ask if there is so much more on the table that is different then the old AWB . Why are you limiting the scope of this conversation ?

Quote:
For this forum, stay with features from the old ban. Don't get into the politics of grandfathering and all that.

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 16, 2012, 11:38 PM   #11
TheGoldenState

Feinstein's proposal, what little we know it, will not affect those already in possession of weapons and/or accessories (mags, features, etc.), but will ban the new purchases of whatever the bill will encompass.

I don't think it's going out on a limb to say it will be very similar to the previous AWB, but will add a few more……upgrades.

Her agenda, in her words, is to "get weapons of war, off the street."

"Those weapons aren't for hunting deer, they're for hunting people."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note to all future criminals who will use a gun in the commission of their crimes; please use non-tacticool, traditional deer hunting rifles, muskets, black powder, and revolvers.

Signed,
The good people who will suffer the consequences while the you still get to enjoy all the banned stuff that you were never going to register anyway.
Old December 17, 2012, 12:19 AM   #12
Metal god

Is it time to ask ? Is buying a stipped lower good enough to get around the new ban ? will we have to show and or register the complete rifle . I ask cus I have a couple stipped lowers now .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 17, 2012, 12:27 AM   #13
cslinger

First I don't believe there is political will for another AWB. Remember the last one was a bit of a Little Big Horn for those folks.

Second even during the last ban, the lower technically had to be in its pre-ban configuration prior to the go live of the ban. So you technically couldn't build p a stripped lower after the fact with evil features.

That being said I don't think there was ever an AWB prosecution unless it was in addition to other "REAL" felonious activities.
Old December 17, 2012, 01:27 AM   #14
Quentin2

Man I knew I should have saved all those receipts to date all my purchases!
Old December 17, 2012, 03:53 AM   #15
skeeter

Diane Feinstein has armed body guards paid for by us with magazines over 10 rounds (including automatic weapons), just like the senate and House have their own health care system. Do as I say not as I do is the rule for politics.
Old December 17, 2012, 06:54 AM   #16
Mobuck

If you listened to big 0's "memorial speech" last night, you know there will be some sort of action. He vowed, promised, threatened(whatever you want to call it) that he would"use every resource of his office" to address the "problem".
Pretty good acting on stage for someone who may just have pressed to go button to cause the massacre. I wouldn't put ANYTHING past these jokers in their quest for total gun control.
Pull up your knickers and batten down the hatches because it's started.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:19 AM   #17
rebs

It is a shame that our President would use this terrible tragedy to further his own agenda. But it looks like that is what is going to happen.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:57 AM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Enough politics.
Closed Thread