The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Have you tried a PGO grip and do you still use it...
I have tried it but do not use it. 24 23.08%
I have tried it and do still use it. 18 17.31%
I have tried it but removed it and got rid of it. 14 13.46%
I have tried it but removed it still have it though. 19 18.27%
I have never tried but would like to. 19 18.27%
I have never tried it, won't try it. 15 14.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 4, 2009, 02:48 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Pistol grip Only POLL

This isn't a what is good better or best. It is simply to state if you have previously owned and tried the PGO. If you have, do you still own it and/or use it.
Brent
Old April 4, 2009, 03:14 PM   #2
Dave_Shotgun

I was planning on getting a PG shotgun but I'm not a very strong guy and only weigh 155 lbs, thus I don't think I would be able to handle the recoil. I'm going to stick with the stock.
Old April 4, 2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Ricky B

In case anyone wonders how someone could vote "No, I haven't and don't want to try it," I figure that if Dave McC says that it isn't much fun, I can trust him on that.
Old April 4, 2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Creature

Had one...and hated it.
Old April 4, 2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Lee Lapin

Used one for a while- a Win 1300 20 gauge pump with a laser and a Speedfeed bird's head style PG. Quit working where I needed the compactness inside vehicles and put the conventional shoulder stock back on the gun. The PG is still in the parts bin somewhere...

lpl
Old April 4, 2009, 04:12 PM   #6
rantingredneck

Tried the speedfeed birdshead style for 870. Tried the Mossberg 500 factory version. Tried the butler creek folding stock for 870. All have found their way to other homes.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old April 4, 2009, 04:31 PM   #7
Evan Thomas

Never tried one, don't need to. Along with a bunch of other things, like, oh, heroin, bungee jumping, eating live frogs...
Old April 4, 2009, 04:47 PM   #8
amd6547

Have the speedfeed birdshead grip on my HD Mossberg. No problem handling recoil or hitting what I point at, even at 25yds. My Mossberg has the Hogue overmolded fore-end, which gives me a good grip out front. I use full power 00 buck.
If I want a shotgun with a stock, I have a Remingtom Model 11 riot gun.
Old April 4, 2009, 05:31 PM   #9
rem870hunter

have tried both pg only and pg with buttstock. have pg w/buttstock on 2 870wingmaster 12 ga. better control when hunting deer. but no pg only on any presently. presently using a speedfeed type 2 on a 12 ga 870 express mag.
Old April 4, 2009, 05:50 PM   #10
SPUSCG

PGOs are so you can show friends and have them go "whoah PGO" and generally be a mall ninja, I see people with them at the range who give up on shooting once there hand hurts (maybe a full tube)
Old April 4, 2009, 05:52 PM   #11
Tommy Vercetti

I keep a pistolgrip shotgun handy to "repel boarders"
Old April 4, 2009, 06:00 PM   #12
amd6547

The only friend who has seen mine was my shooting buddy, when we both had ours at the range and were shooting slugs at 25yds (and hitting).
Old April 4, 2009, 08:26 PM   #13
Sixer

I'm not a mall ninja, but I do have a PG on my HD shotgun at the moment. I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. It reduces the OAL of the gun and IMHO increases your manoeuvre-ability a bit. I kept the original wood forend on mine and added a heat shield and side saddle. I like the way it looks... almost a Mad Max type shotgun

When I start to add lasers and tri-rail forends you are more than welcome to accuse me of "Mall Ninja-ism." Until then I'll stick with my PGP for HD purposes. Besides, it takes all of 2 minutes to switch it back to the original stock if I feel the need.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old April 4, 2009, 08:42 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Sixer, I will concede that in a 22 inch wide hall way under battle conditions OAL is a factor. But other than that with conscious deliberate motions, both are basically equal. I can also perry and thrust fore and aft with the 18 inch barrel full stock equipped 500... In close confines you are as apt to confront a BG as in the open and it is still easier to get your gun from you....
Brent
Old April 4, 2009, 08:52 PM   #15
hoytinak

Had one on the 500....hated it, added a front pistol grip (thought that might help), still hated it, sold both, added a full stock and never looked back.
Old April 4, 2009, 09:12 PM   #16
Csspecs

Tried it did not like it at all.

To much muzzle climb, less positive feel. Like I can point shoot a pump gun at targets over 100 feet away just fine, but the PGO really messed my pointing just not natural at all.

I play informal airsoft games with pump shotgun based airsoft guns and find that the size is not the problem but rather how you hold it or your tactic. We have PGO as well as full stock and CAR-15 style stocks. I grab the one with the CAR-15 stock a lot, next up would be one with a "speed feedish" stock one with a pistol grip and fixed stock. If I get stuck with a normal style stock I just lay in wait or stick to more open areas and avoid looking for trouble.

I find the pistol grips help you pump the gun when shooting at odd angles or from cover. The collapsing stock helps for tight corners, but even still I normally just put the stock under my arm like I did for years grouse hunting in swamps.
Old April 4, 2009, 10:03 PM   #17
SPUSCG

I have my regular stock, 20 inch deer barrel, and cloth slip on side saddle that holds 5 shells, and took off rock-hard factory pad and put in a slip on limbsaver. I can room clear with it just fine, shoot it at the range, slugs, buck, it doesn't matter.
Old April 4, 2009, 10:30 PM   #18
Scattergun Bob

You know my stand

Bob
Old April 5, 2009, 12:40 AM   #19
zippy13

A failure to communicate...

Brent, aka hogdogs, started this thread very succinctly identifying the type of stock in question as a "Pistol Gip Only" or "PGO."

I think no one has a problem conjuring up in his mind's eye what a PGO looks like, but that's where the concordance in communication stops. In the first reply Dave Shotgun says,
Quote:
I was planning on getting a PG shotgun but I'm not a very strong guy and only weigh 155 lbs, thus I don't think I would be able to handle the recoil. I'm going to stick with the stock.
And, further on, Tommy Vercetti comments,
Quote:
I keep a pistolgrip shotgun handy to "repel boarders"
I suspect I know what they mean; however, I'm really not sure. Are you?

In the world of plastic stocked Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s the terms "pistol grip" and "pistol grip only" may have become synonymous, but they are not in the realm of sporting and target shotguns. The term "pistol grip" goes way back and was initially used to distinguish grip stocks from classic straight, or English, stocks. The majority of shotguns sold in the US are of the "pistol grip" style. With tactical specific shotguns came the introduction of "detached pistol grip" and "pistol grip only" stocks. To avoid confusion, when using the term "pistol grip" remember to include "detached (or full)" or "only" as applicable, otherwise you're talking about a conventional stock.

Old April 5, 2009, 12:40 AM   #20
Sigma 40 Blaster

I am not a hardcore shotgunner by any means but I did buy a Mossberg 590 recently and got a PG to replace the factory stock and forend.

Let me say that I'm 6'5 and 300+ pounds. I've been able to take it out to the range a few times since I bought it, first time I was a little afraid to shoot slugs through it but the second time I ran 9 slugs through quickly and accurately out to 20 or 25 yards (I did that drill a few times). Recoil wasn't bad at all and I was racking the slide as fast I could without being out of control.

I much prefer the size of the gun and feel of the pistol grips for something I'll be carrying through my home should the need arise, very compact, very close to my body, and points very naturally. I have no intentions of ninja'ing it out anymore...maybe a sling so I can have a light in one hand and a hand controlling the gun in a ready for action position.

I also have a couple of other options if I need a shotgun with a stock for whatever reason..but I'm happy with my bump in the night gun.
Old April 5, 2009, 08:14 AM   #21
Dave_Shotgun

Quote:
In the world of plastic stocked Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s the terms "pistol grip" and "pistol grip only" may have become synonymous, but they are not in the realm of sporting and target shotguns. The term "pistol grip" goes way back and was initially used to distinguish grip stocks from classic straight, or English, stocks. The majority of shotguns sold in the US are of the "pistol grip" style. With tactical specific shotguns came the introduction of "detached pistol grip" and "pistol grip only" stocks. To avoid confusion, when using the term "pistol grip" remember to include "detached (or full)" or "only" as applicable, otherwise you're talking about a conventional stock.
Thank you for clarifying this zippy. I am very new to shotguns and I thought that PG and PGO basically meant the same thing (that the shotgun had no stock, only a handgun type grip). Detachable pistol grip looks really cool so you can have the best of both worlds.
Old April 5, 2009, 10:01 AM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Zippy is absolutely correct. But I don't specify the difference in a straight english style and a regular ol' pistol grip standard wooden/synthetic stock. For sake of simplicity I refer to a PGO as that of what we all know it to be and a pistol grip stock as the AR type. This is because at least 50% of the folks who find this section are quite new to all the shotguns in general. Of those many are going to get advise and/or opinion even if they do not ask for it. Since the english style straight stock is quite limited in the realm of modern shotguns I doubt many are runnin out lookin' for one to fit their "Mossy" splatter gun.
The second stock in your row of 3 is the one I prefer for HD/SD and hunting.
Thanks for pointing it out though...
Brent
Old April 5, 2009, 10:04 AM   #23
protectedbyglock

Dammit, where is the option in the poll for:
"Used one once, didn't really like it, but bought one anyway and never installed it"
Old April 5, 2009, 10:06 AM   #24
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

PBG, I shoulda made a place for "Bought, never used and is in the parts bin somewhere..."
Mine is here somewhere I think...
Brent
Old April 5, 2009, 11:03 AM   #25
LouPran

My HD Tactical shotgun is a Remington 870 MarineMagnum with a Knoxx Spec Ops recoil reducing PG stock and padded butt.

It's a tank.

Even with heavy loads like 3" Magnum 00 Buck it's a creampuff to shoot held PG only.

I believe it's a combination of the weight and the recoil reducing design. Either way ... My 100lb daughter can shoot it.

The Knoxx stocks work like a charm.