The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 7, 2017, 08:29 AM   #1
taymag

I feel like carrying at 2:00-2:30 with a 45 degree cant stops the argument?

Mainly I was wondering, does AIWB have a bad name because you could shoot your jewels off? Or because you femoral artery?

Wouldn't a 45 degree cant holster at 2-2:30 solve all these problems AND push the barrel just right of the hip when sitting?

I work at home so rarely change from gym shorts when I leave the house during the day and honestly don't see how more people dont carry here
Old January 7, 2017, 10:26 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by taymag
Wouldn't a 45 degree cant holster at 2-2:30 solve all these problems AND push the barrel just right of the hip when sitting?
No.

It would also result in a very awkward draw.
Old January 7, 2017, 10:58 AM   #3
buck460XVR

The above post is a prime example of why or why not, any style or method of carrying, open or concealed, is without argument from someone. Just sayin'..........
Old January 7, 2017, 11:33 AM   #4
taymag

lolol so a 2-2:30 draw would be awkward, literally right where your hand naturally is, but a 3:00 seems to be the ideal? or lets say 4-4:30, drawing behind the back is ideal?

I totally get the "I dont want to shoot myself in the D" even though if you have that kind of error or fear you shouldn't even carry. But "its awkward to draw from" is ridiculous.

And yes, other than shooting yourself, the "uncomfortable barrel in the thigh" is usually the other excuse, which 45 degree cant puts the barrel to your side when you sit
Old January 7, 2017, 01:53 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
lolol so a 2-2:30 draw would be awkward, literally right where your hand naturally is, but a 3:00 seems to be the ideal? or lets say 4-4:30, drawing behind the back is ideal?
Are you changing your original parameters, or just not aware of what you originally proposed?

Your opening proposal was a holster with a 45-degree cant at the 2:00 or 2:30 position.

I carry at around the 3:30 position, in an OWB holster with an "FBI" cant. FBI cant is 15 to 20 degrees. At 15 degrees and located at or slightly behind the shoulder line, the draw is a fairly natural sweep, up and forward. Move the holster forward to around 2:00 and increase the cant angle from 15 degrees to 45 degrees, and your draw becomes right-to-left (or left-to-right, if you're a southpaw -- but then it would be at 10:00 rather than 2:00) rather than a natural, forward sweep.

I made no attempt to tell anyone what's "ideal." You asked if the 45-degree holster worn at the 2:00 or 2:30 position solves "all these problems AND push[es] the barrel just right of the hip when sitting." Without embellishing, my answer is no ... it does not solve ALL these problems AND push the barrel to the right of the hip when sitting.
Old January 7, 2017, 03:33 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Your opening proposal was a holster with a 45-degree cant at the 2:00 or 2:30 position.
Maybe depending on the direction of the cant?
Forward cant, as in "FBI", I can see what you are saying. The grip would be close to straight up. But with the cant the other way, it would be a very natural, and easy draw. Think cross draw.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 7, 2017, 03:42 PM   #7
Brit

Any of you Chaps addicted to Blue Bloods, as my Wife and I are? Some of the female detectives carry strong side, at around 2-30, with the FBI cant?

Necessitating the right shoulder to be tilted way forward to draw?
Old January 7, 2017, 04:10 PM   #8
Archie

Appendix carry

... which is the position of which you enquire, but with an inside the belt holster.

Quote:
... bad name because you could shoot your jewels off? Or because you [could shoot your] femoral artery?
Yeah, that's mostly what I hear. I tend to discount it, as firing a shot prematurely is a function of training and practice. If you don't often crank off a round using any other holster, I see no reason to believe you'll shoot yourself with this arrangement.

Quote:
Depends on your build, physical arrangement and choice of sidearm. And possibly the holster itself.

I carry a Commander (lightweight). No matter what I do, it's long enough to poke into my upper leg when I sit (including driving) or bend. It is annoying more than painful. Some folks have a hard time with the pistol pointing in such a manner, but I've come to accommodate it. People don't realize that a regular, exposed, strong side belt holster can put a round through one's lower thigh or lower leg IF one stands with feet spread apart. (That presumes a premature shot as well.)

With a very short barreled sidearm, the pokey aspect might be reduced or removed. Possibly, a holster with a high lift could do the same. However, I can't figure how to make a (leather) holster comfortably supporting itself like that. Maybe Kydex or something of that nature.

That 45 degree cant, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
It would also result in a very awkward draw.
I have to agree. A 45 degree cant would put the grip at an attitude where my wrist just resists bending. If you can do it, fine; my carpus just flat does not agree.

Final thought: Try it with an empty sidearm. If you can get a decent firing grip prior to removing the arm from the holster, AND if it doesn't - for any reason - promote a premature shot, then it works for you and there's no need to put it to a vote. (I don't carry your gun for you and neither does anyone else!)

If it doesn't work 'right' - for any reason - start over. Most of us have a pile of old holsters in some closet that don't quite work.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old January 7, 2017, 04:24 PM   #9
Archie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit
Any of you Chaps addicted to Blue Bloods, as my Wife and I are? Some of the female detectives carry strong side, at around 2-30, with the FBI cant?
No, but I've watched television and movies before.

Many things on television or movies depend on what the actor or director thinks looks good (cool, maybe?) or what the properties man has in stock.

The late Don Knotts as Deputy Barney Fife, carried either a Colt Official Police or a Smith & Wesson Military & Police revolver on the old "Andy Griffith Show". Which gun was dependent on what the prop man could find.

In the old series, "Hogan's Heroes" the German Sergeant Schultz carried an 1892 Krag Jorgensen (that's "Yorgensen", by yimminy) rifle from the U. S. instead of a German K98 rifle. Probably for the same reason.

Television and movies should not be considered useful sources of information about much anything. You've probably noted certain elements from your employment which are 'not exactly right' on tele.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old January 7, 2017, 06:10 PM   #10
Brit

Hi Archie, I have worked on film sets before. I know what this holster "Pose" is, they want to "Show" the gun! And that's all it is.

But the acting is superb, facial expressions, one liners, etc.

The hardest thing to do, on a film set, is to get the actor, to not aim directly at the person, they are about to shoot!

"I did not load these blanks!" I tell them. "And do not know if some particle or other is going to come out of the barrel. Maybe blind the other actor."

The camera has a one eyed lens, just aim off to one side.

Had one actor menace a group in a room, with a Colt .45 Single Action, with the hammer not cocked. The Director was not happy when I pointed it out to him.
Old January 7, 2017, 09:24 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit
Had one actor menace a group in a room, with a Colt .45 Single Action, with the hammer not cocked. The Director was not happy when I pointed it out to him.
Heh, heh.

Late in 2016 I got into watching all the episodes of the original Lone Ranger television series on You Tube. I was amazed at how many times the Lone Ranger drew his sixgun and held a bad guy at bay with the gun not cocked, and the web of his hand high up and wrapped around the hammer such that could not possibly be cocked quickly and smoothly.

I wasn't aware of such things when I was a kid, of course. After all, he was THE LONE RANGER.
Old January 7, 2017, 09:27 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter
Maybe depending on the direction of the cant?
I admit, the possibility of a forward 45-degree cant didn't occur to me. Now that I think about it, though, I don't think wearing a handgun at the 2:00 or 2:30 position with a forward 45-degree cant would result in pointing the muzzle away from parts you might not want to shoot. Quite the opposite, especially when sitting.
Old January 7, 2017, 11:00 PM   #13
NYC guy in GA

I don't think 30 minutes a day is enough to carry.

Was that 2:30 a.m. or 2:30 p.m.?

At 45 degrees, you would have to be laying on your side.

Lol
Old January 7, 2017, 11:14 PM   #14
str8tshot

OP, thank you for sharing your feelings.
Carrying appendix isn't for all. I heard a funny comment from Colion Nior about the way he carried, and appendix was not preferred. I don't mention him as an example other than the humor. If you want to study the efficiencies, maybe try several positions and see which one allows a clean draw with the least amount of wasted motion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old January 8, 2017, 01:15 AM   #15
joe sixgun

I carry at 2:30, high, forward can't, and it is very comfortable while sitting. I use a Tagua leather belt holster. Love it but squeaks like crazy on my belt.