The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 18, 2013, 02:38 PM   #26
GJSchulze

Quote:
I view them more as witness marks rather than trying to use them as measurements - the numbers are simply guides and not absolute
I do too, but the problem is that the zero on the dial didn't coincide with the zero of any whole number marking on the stem. IOW, when it showed zero on the dial, the edge of it was between markings on the stem and since you have to have two rotations of the dial to travel one full "number" marking on the stem, I didn't always read it right.

I finally realized that I could loosen the screw on the top and adjust it to coincide with a whole number marking on the stem.

This was on my bullet seater, but the powder micrometer is the same. I just don't adjust it very much because I'm using the same powder and weight.
Old October 18, 2013, 02:44 PM   #27
bt380

Check out 76highboy Hornady LNL AP series on you tube. He uses a baffle and has the same stroke each time as mentioned in this thread. He nails the exact powder charge each time. He also says the bench has a lot to do with it as well. He gives a lot of other tips as well.
-
Find out if you have the latest primer update for the Hornady LNL AP. They resolved a problem some were having with their presses.