The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 27, 2011, 08:22 AM   #1
M14

M141 Remington Question

I have had a M141 Remington in .35 Remington for several years. It has one peculiarity (feature?) that I don't know whether it's normal with this rifle or not as this is the only M141 I've had any experience with. After loading the magazine the first pump (action cycle) fails to feed a round about 99% of the time. After that the rifle functions flawlessly. I also notice that the rounds in the magazine are farther back after the initial pump. Is this normal with this weapon?
Old June 27, 2011, 02:08 PM   #2
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I have two and have never experienced what yours is doing .
Old June 27, 2011, 04:07 PM   #3
GURU1911

MR. M14

Suggest you detail strip & clean the magazine if possible. If not, then drop the whole mag into a pan of hot soapy water & let soak a few minutes. Rinse well & blow dry with compressed air or hair dryer. Also, do a good cleaning inside the receiver, bolt, action bars, then lube & try again to see if that helps.

I do agree with "old-sap" that something is amiss, if that first pump stroke does not strip the first round off the top of the mag.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old June 27, 2011, 05:20 PM   #4
mapsjanhere

Try gently tapping the gun stock to the floor before your first pump. It sounds like your spring is too weak (or your tube too dirty) to push the cartridges in the right position, so a good cleaning seems in order.
Old June 27, 2011, 05:32 PM   #5
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Mike , in order to soak the Magazine you'd need to soak the whole Rifle ! I'd take the end off the tube and remove the Spring and Follower and give them a good clean & lube . Clean the Tube like you would the Barrel and maybe give the Spring a good stretch and put her back together . I'd be surprised if it doesn't straighten out !
Old June 27, 2011, 09:13 PM   #6
GURU1911

Thanks "one-old-sap"

Ooops---my bad--thought it was a box magazine. Remove tubular mag from rifle. Clean the "id" of the outer tube with a cleaning rod, brush, patches, & solvent. Clean & polish the "od" of the inner tube. Clean spring & follower as best as you can. Give mag spring a gentle stretch, reassemble, & try to feed some ammo. If you can locate one, install a new mag spring.

Thanks "o-o-s" for correcting my duh !!!!!!!

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old June 27, 2011, 11:15 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

It should affect all rounds, but the magazine tube could be dented or bent, or the spring kinked. Sometimes those tubes can be bent without noticing it because of the spiral indents put in to prevent a discharge in the magazine.

Jim
Old June 29, 2011, 11:28 AM   #8
M14

Carrier Dog?

I cleaned the magazine tube which wasn't really dirty to begin with, slightly stretched the magazine spring, & checked the magazine tube for dents (there weren't any). The problem still persists. I did notice that the carrier dog is free to swing fore & aft quite a ways. It only experiences spring resistance at both far ends of its travel. Is this normal?