The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 3, 2001, 02:00 AM   #1
Nalapombu

Hey all,
Could anyone tell me the company that does the conversion or manufactures the short barreled shotgun known as the "Witness Protection"? It is based on a Remington 870 and the barrel has been cut to about 12" and a pistol grip has been added.
I am looking to get a short barreled shotgun and I am interested in that one as well as some others. If anyone knows the answer to my question please post it here so I can get the details.
I would also like any other info on these types of weapons that anyone may have. I am open to recommendations as well. Keep in mind that I do not want to pay the $200.00 tax, I want to get a gun that is classified as an AOW and therefore will only cost me a tax charge of $5.00

Thanks for any help that you might give me.

Nala
Old January 3, 2001, 09:25 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Tom Bowers has a listing of Class II and Class 3 dealers who can help you out. Go to http://www.subguns.com and clik on recommended dealers for more information.
Old January 3, 2001, 10:26 AM   #3
ctdonath

IIRC, short barreled shotguns by definition have shoulder stocks, while AOW shotguns do not. The latter have the $5 tax. Think about what you actually want a pistol-grip-only shotgun for, and realize that in general it's not particularly useful.

I bought this Mossberg 590 Mariner AOW from C3 dealer Allan Kirchmer:

I'm also tempted by the Serbu Super-Shorty:

Check your state's laws on such items; subtleties may allow or disalow such arms. Read Bardwell's NFA FAQ. Peruse Tom Bowers' Subguns Board. Read and contribute to the 1934 Group's lawsuit to remove the much-abused CLEO-signoff requirement for Class III transfers. When you're ready to buy, contact the dealer of your choice and just work through the paperwork he gives you.
Old January 4, 2001, 05:59 AM   #4
45King

The "Witness Protection" model 870 is offered by Scattergun Technologies, Inc. They used to be a stand alone company, but now I believe they are part of Bill Wilson's outfit. Don't have a url or anything, but a search with that name or Wilson's should yeild something.
I've got a 5 or 6 year old catalog from STI, and the WP looks like a great under-the-coat gun, but it is pricey. If I lived in a Class III state, I'd probably have one, but....

Freedom is a consequence of the exercising of rights.
Old January 4, 2001, 09:48 AM   #5
ctdonath

The "Witness Protection" is made by Roger Small of Scattergun Technologies Inc.

Scattergun Technologies, Inc.
2234 CR 719 • Berryville, AR 72616
1-800-955-4856 • 870-545-3618
FAX 870-545-3310

You can request a catalog via Wilson Combat at [email protected]
Old January 29, 2001, 05:23 PM   #6
Rob Garrett

Wilson WP870

I have an original "Witness Protection 870" which was built by Jim Wilson, Wilson Arms, Brunswick GA. Several years ago, Wilson was in a legal battle with Roger Small over the name. I don't know what the outcome was.

For a shotgun with a brl. less than 18" to be classified as AOW, it must be orginally manufactured in that configuration. This requires the maker to be classified as a manufacturer by the maker of the receiver/shotgun. Even with a $5 stamp, you can not put a stock on an AOW shotgun. Anytime you cut a brl on an existing shotgun, regardless of the configuration (stock/no stock) it is classified as a short-barreled shotgun and ATF hits you up for $200.

Also, be aware that Wilson purchased SGT and it is my understanding that Small is no longer involved in the operation.

Hope this helps.

RLG