The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 21, 2011, 08:40 PM   #1
magicroy

Help with scope purchase..Leupold VX3L or Zeiss Conquest

I am shopping for a scope for a 22-250. I had a Nikon Monarch on it and am greatly disappointed in it. The more I read the more I am confused on which to buy. To be honest I have never owned a Zeiss or looked through one. I was dead set on a Leupold until I got to reading forums and reviews. I was looking at the Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50 LR with 30mm tube but really had decided on the Leupold VX-3L 6.5-20x56 30mm tube with the cut lens to mount it lower. Wanted something that would be really good in low light. But had a guy at a online store to turn my attention to a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 which is a little cheaper than the Leupold I want. I am looking at the varmint reticle in all the scopes, but the Zeiss Z-Varmint is a little different. I really love the Leupold varmint reticle, it is fine enough to shoot some good groups from the bench and still had bullet comp. I don’t have any big scope dealers close by for me to do a side by side comp. My budget in around 1100 to 1200 and I can actually get the Zeiss for 925 after a 100 rebate from Zeiss. I am reaching out for some honest facts, not bias brand loyal remarks. I know they are both really good scopes with great backrounds. But would like people to comment that owns or looked though both scopes in the field that can give me honest opinion. I want to know which is clearer, best in low light or even after dark with a light, and is Zeiss warranty as good as Leupold. And oh yea I know shooting after light is not right, but when coyotes has killed as many of your animals and pets as they have mine, I take em whenever they present theirselves....sorry.
Old October 22, 2011, 09:24 AM   #2
603Country

I can't speak for Zeiss scopes, but I own a Leupold 6.5x20X50 with 30mm tube and the fine crosshairs. It's the older Vari-X III model and I've used it for years. I have quite a few rifles and scopes, but that scope continues to impress me. It's very bright and very sharp and only once has lost its zero (when it fell out of my Kubota on to a gravel road). I would not hesitate to buy another scope just like it, but am retired now and don't have the same cash flow as I did back then. Mine doesn't have the varmint reticle, since that wasn't offered back then, but I sure wish I did have it. Still, it's on my 220 Swift, and if I know the range, the holdover calculations don't take much thinking out to 400 yards, which means I really don't need more lines or dots.
Old October 22, 2011, 09:33 AM   #3
CPTMurdoc30

Click on this link http://www.leupold.c...actical-videos/ and look for Factory Tour.

If that factory tour video doesn't make you want to run out and buy a Leupold. You're a commie.

You would be happy with with either one. They both use some of the best glass money can buy in the price range. The Conquest line is Zeiss's cheap (BY Cheap i mean their lowest priced scopes) line. Where as The VX-3 or VX-3l are Leupold middle to upper end scopes.

I myself would go with the Leupold and never look back. Lifetime warranty, MADE IN THE USA.

I hate to do this to you but....

Or take a look at Sightron they are just as good as the two you are looking at but again cost a little less.
http://swfa.com/Sightron-SIII-Riflescopes-C176.aspx

Last edited by CPTMurdoc30; October 22, 2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old October 23, 2011, 12:23 PM   #4
maxman894

Zeiss has amazingly clear scopes. I have one on my 30-06 and I love it.
Old October 24, 2011, 10:10 PM   #5
DeerSlayer86

I love Leupold and have always used them...until I looked through a zeiss. On a rifle I bought earlier this year I went through the same thing. What made my decision easy was looking through both side by side at dusk. I went to a nearby Cabelas and asked the outfitter if I could compare them in natural light. No comparrison. I was extremely dissaplinted in the difference. Wasn't even close. And the rear focus on the zeiss is so much easier for field use vs the Leupold. On a 44mm obj zeiss the glass was so much better than the vx3, it was brighter than the 50mm Leupold. Once you compare the two you'll understand and the decision will be easy.

Both scopes have lifetime warranties. Zeiss makes their own glass so their quality control is better. I don't know who makes leupolds glass. Made in America really only means assembled in America. Both are good scopes but keep in mind your comparing leupolds best line vs zeiss entry level scopes. Zeiss is just better glass it's that simple. But if that gold ring around the objective does something for you than just get it. Get what you want and youll probably be happy with it

Last edited by DeerSlayer86; October 25, 2011 at 07:25 AM.

Tags
leupold zeiss