The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 13, 2000, 07:57 PM   #1
LASur5r

Some years back when I attended college near an Air Force base, we had military types come into town mostly on weekends...mainly to pick up on the local girls.
One night, when I was shopping in a 24 hour market,my friend who was taking a nap in my car before we headed down to L.A. came running into the market looking for a weapon;a stick, a broom or mop handle...anything. He rushed out to my car.
I was in line, I asked the cashier to put the market goods aside and I would be right back.
I knew my friend from Hawaii was in Kajukenpo karate there and he was one tough cookie to fight. I knew if he was looking for a weapon, it had to be serious and he needed me then and there to watch his six.
As I ran out of the market, I noticed another friend in the parking lot on his knees. My karate friend was standing next to a strange car looking into the car.
When I got to him, he said that when he was trying to nap, some guys parked next to the other parked car where there was a girl by herself. The Air Force guys were getting too aggressive and my friend said nicely "Why don't you leave the girl alone? You're scaring her."
Before he knew it , they had surrounded my car and two guys had something in their hands behind them. They challenged him and it turned out one had a length of chain in his hand and the other guy had a knife in it. The other three just kept taunting him to come out of the car.
It was a small town (34,000) and you could actually walk the main drag, so that's how the other friend appeared...he saw my car and walked into the crowd! thinking we were figuring out where to party. They partied alright..One hit the second friend with the chain wrapped around his fist, then the third guy stuck a knife in my friend as he went to his knees. That was the break my friend in the car needed, he kicked the driver's door open and ran into the market looking for a weapon to use.
When I was listening to the girl through her sobbing, my karate friend checked on my wounded friend. Wounded friend needed some stitches. We unceremoniously put him in the backseat, told the night store manager to watch the girl and have her call her parents, then we headed for the local emergency room.
As there are only two main streets to cruise on we saw the turkeys coming our way, apparently trying to get out of town. Before I knew it both of my friends are beating me about the head and shoulders to "Cut 'em off!"
Mind you, the BG's are coming the opposite direction. I still wanted to get to L.A., so i let the BG's car go past me then i pulled a U-turn and then I passed them (Good ol' Chevy V-8) and cut them off..They swerved and almost hit a telephone pole.
My karate friend and wounded friend jump out of my car and yell, "There he is." and gave chase to the first guy that came out of the stopped car...apparently the guy that liked to hit people with the chain wrapped fist. The guy turns and runs into the darkness.
My friends run after him and passed the stopped car! They disappeared into the tuile (sp?) fog...The four other guys get out of the car, holding all kinds of non-shooting weapons.
I stepped out of my car, engine wouldn't start up( damn Chevy V-8, apparently flooded carb)...I was not packing yet..
Darn good odds...Thanks a lot to my buds.
I remember a 12 inch long chromed open mouth crescent wrench under my seat.
I guess it is the reflection and the way I held it because I heard "Gun! He's got a gun!"
They jumped back into their Ford Mustang, and I see headlights coming towards me...I jump up on the rear bumper of my car and fling the wrench like a Frisbee at the oncoming car.
All I saw was the Front and back windshields shatter and the car fishtailing down the street. I didn't get my wrench back.
I picked up my friends...they lost the dude in the fog, got one to the hospital and took the other one back to the market...went off to L.A..
Next day, we called local PD...the Captain was a friend of ours and told him all the details. No charges...durned outsiders.

Anybody else have to use a substitute for a gun in a situation?