The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2011, 06:05 AM   #1
CatmanDoes

Reloading .380 with heavy heads

Apologies if this has come up before, I did search around here, found a few threads and posts but have yet to find an answer to my specific question.

First up, my big problem is I'm not in the States and getting bullet heads can be a nightmare and expensive (especially in shipping) I also have extremely limited options on what I can get my hands on in terms of reloading supplies.

Now I'm looking to buy a .380 pistol (not sure which one yet, probably a Sig P232). I currently reload all my ammo for .45, 9mm and .357 with bought hard-cast lead heads, which for the 9mm come in 125gr flavour, so I'm wondering as I currently have a large stock of these; can I make up a .380 round with these heads? And I'll only be using these rounds at the range (max distance of 25 yards) before anyone asks, I'm not looking for any kind of self-defense round. I know that the lighter the head the better but I'm hoping to find a compromise here

From what I've read, I understand there'll be very little room in the case for the powder with such a large bullet. I did find a recipe floating around on the internet for 125gr using AA-5 that claimed to achieve 800 FPS but I'd like to have confirmed this with more sources/recipes/opinions before considering this route any further. Oh, I currently have Hodgdon Universal and HP-38 in stock but I can get hold of most powders.

Of course my other option is to cast my own heads but I'm not at all set up for this and am considering it a last resort at this stage.

Thanks in advance for any comments/advice.
Old January 20, 2011, 06:15 AM   #2
spacecoast

Not saying it wouldn't work, but I don't think it's worth the risk of a kaboom. I'd work harder at finding some 95 or 100 grain bullets if I were you, or stick with 9mm.
Old January 20, 2011, 08:02 AM   #3
Sevens

One of the problems you may face (besides the obvious!) is that the case itself is designed around bullets of a certain length. The heavier bullet you use, the longer it is. (obviously!) You will get to the point whee regardless of the amount of leftover internal space needed for combustion, the brass will be too thick the closer you get to the case head.

You may not be able to seat these heavy bullets deep enough in the case to allow for a workable COAL of the loaded round.

I know what my answer would be in your position -- I'd simply get over my desire for a .380. For sure, that's pretty easy for me to do and I can get the bullets quickly, cheaply and easily!
Old January 20, 2011, 08:33 AM   #4
fhwiggins

Not being in the states may prevent you from loading 380's safefully. Surely you have someone in the states that can get what you need and forward them on to you. Where there is a will there is a way but I would not fool around with untried weights or methods. My manual shows 115gr. as the biggest pre made fmj round. Mine have worked fine but only after checking ALL tolerances and manual chambering checks with the barrell removed. I have shot quite a few 115gr jhp in my 380 with no jams but again as with all reloading, there is no such thing as checking to much or being too carefull.

"Law abiding citizen" is not a synonym for "Sheep to the slaughter." CCW!
Old January 20, 2011, 09:26 AM   #5
jmortimer

What everyone else said. Don't go over 100 grains.
Old January 20, 2011, 09:56 AM   #6
overkill0084

I've got a bunch of 115 gr bullets for my 9mm, That's about as heavy as I would prefer to go. I've actually been meaning to try some. I don't think I would want to go any heavier. I would think that size limitations become a factor. I currently use 95 & 100 gr cast. I didn't have spectacular results with Accurate #5 in my wife's PPK/S. To be fair, I didn't really work that hard building loads. I've found that Bullseye in works well for me toward the warmer end of the spectrum. I still have more work to do however. My real problem is that I really don't enjoy loading for the .380. If .380 acp ammo was cheaper, I probably wouldn't bother.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old January 20, 2011, 10:48 AM   #7
CatmanDoes

I'm on the lookout for .380 heads but the only ones I can find are copper jacketed/washed but these are over twice the price of the hard-cast lead stuff for 9mm.

If it comes to it I'll cast my own 'boolits', I see that Lee do a .380 mould at around 100gr. But if I do go for the cast-your-own route I may as well consider other calibres (.32 or .25 for example) it's not for self-defense/conceal carry just making holes in paper for a bit of fun.
Old January 20, 2011, 12:12 PM   #8
reloader28

The Lyman cast books only go to 120gr, which is close in weight, but the RCBS cast book has 2 different 124gr bullets with several different powders.

I use 125gr Lyman truncated cone homecast and they work great in both my 380's. I'm using 2.2gr Bullseye and they shoot good, but that is over the book max. You'll want to start lower than that of course.

Last edited by reloader28; January 20, 2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old January 20, 2011, 09:11 PM   #9
WESHOOT2

"head" = bullet

While i do not personally load 380, I am aware of numerous others using 115g bullets.
They load them over AA2, TiteGroup, Bullseye, W231, Power Pistol, and 3N37.

Sierra offers published data.
Old January 22, 2011, 04:39 PM   #10
jpsshack

My personal preference is to keep .380 bullets at 100 grains or lower. That said, I've done 115 gr. jacketed bullets for .380. They bulge the cases quite a bit, but shoot straight. Getting them the right OAL resulted in some case bulging, and I needed to run them through a Lee factory crimp die to restore them to spec. These were Rose 115 grain FMJ bullets.

Quote:
I see that Lee do a .380 mould at around 100gr.
I have that mould (Lee 356-102 1R) A very nice, versatile little "boolit"
great in the .380 as well as the 9.

Last edited by jpsshack; January 22, 2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old January 22, 2011, 07:48 PM   #11
goodspeed(TPF)

Get a mold and cast your own.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old January 22, 2011, 09:36 PM   #12
pelo801

Quote:
Get a mold and cast your own.
yeah, this ^^^^. i have loaded 115 gr in my .380. like already said, the cases bulged and i was not happy at all with the accuracy.
Old January 23, 2011, 03:44 AM   #13
Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I have some hours into 380 hot hand load experiments, mostly 158 gr.

Two weeks ago I was working with 115 gr JHP.

The 380s with long magazines for longer OAL, heavy slides, thick chamber walls, and good case support, can exceed the power of 357 magnum with the same barrel length.

The 380s with short magazines, light slides, thin chamber walls, and poor case support over the feed ramp, can not catch up to standard 9mm performance. These are the Kel-Tec P3AT and Ruger LCP class of 380s.

And there are lots of 380s in between that reach 9mm +P performance.

Unfortunately, some limitations are not just the brass.
Don't try to get 357 mag performance with a WWII bring back with a .095" chamber wall.
Ask me how I know

What does it all mean?
Don't experiment beyond conventional procedures unless you know what you are doing so no one gets hurt.
Don't experiment on any hardware you are not emotionally prepared to throw away.
Old January 23, 2011, 03:53 AM   #14
Xfire68

My favorite for the .380 is a 90g Hornady XTP but, in your case where your not able to get what you want I would cast your own and not go over 102g.

I have tried to go higher with a 115g and the cases buckled badly.
Old January 23, 2011, 09:22 AM   #15
Sevens

We know that your experiments run the rough edge of sanity, Clark, and for most of us, there is no practical application of your findings. But I would be interested to hear specifically which firearms... manufacturers and models are capable of handling your nuclear 158 grain and/or "beyond .357 Mag performance" rounds.

I'm trying to think of a solid .380 and I'm coming up short. Walther PPK? Beretta 84?

Which .380 will contain that blast?
Old January 23, 2011, 11:39 PM   #16
Clark

The 1903 Browning 380 when built for the 9mmBrowning, can take a cartridge in 380 that will take a cartridge that is 1.090" instead of .984". It has thick chamber walls, good case support and a heavy slide used in blow back mode.
With it's 5" barrel, it will push 158 gr from 1158 ~ 1187 fps.

In contrast a 357 mag with 3.4" barrel and a 1.6" cylinder length cannot push a 158 gr bullet that fast without the cases getting very stuck in the chamber.

There is not much practical application for the 1903, because the 100 year old pistol weighs 33 ounces empty.

Contrast that with little locked breech 380s that weigh 6 ounces empty, that can't get half way from 380 up to 9mm.

What does it all mean?
At 33 ounces, you could carry a 357 mag, so why bother with the hot heavy 380?
Old January 24, 2011, 02:22 PM   #17
CatmanDoes

Thanks for all the replies guys I'm going to go down the casting route - as soon as I decide which pocket pistol calibre to go with
Old January 24, 2011, 02:27 PM   #18
spacecoast

Quote:
The 380s with long magazines for longer OAL, heavy slides, thick chamber walls, and good case support, can exceed the power of 357 magnum with the same barrel length.
No way I'm going to try that <stuff> with my 1921 Colt Hammerless