The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 12, 2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Gary L. Griffiths

Wallet "Concealer" holster

Hi, all. Just wanted to show you a holster I made recently for my Ruger LCP. I usually carry in my right hip pocket, and have made a couple of wallet holsters in the past for my Kel-Tec P-32. The Ruger, however, is just a hair longer than the Kel-Tec and tended to show somewhat in some of my trousers which have shorter pockets. Of course, the simple answer is to lengthen the pockets, but I decided to take a different approach.

This holster is made from thin lining leather with an outer skin of Dura-Shark neoprene material generously given to me by another member. The Dura-Shark is very "sticky" and absolutely keeps the holster positioned in my pocket. I added a flap of ostrich-embossed pigskin, so anyone looking down into my pocket will see a nondescript leather wallet or pouch of some kind, not a gun. Thought it might give y'all some ideas.

Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old September 16, 2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Evyl Robot

Interesting work there. I'm impressed!
Old September 16, 2010, 07:43 PM   #3
X_shooter

Nice improvisation. I was thinking about making my own to offer better concealment. How is your draw with the flap? Have you practiced getting it out quick?
Old September 18, 2010, 09:16 AM   #4
Gary L. Griffiths

As you can see when it's closed (top photo) there's a gap right behind the trigger. Simply insert the trigger finger there, draw from pocket. The pigskin flap is flexible enough that the weapon simply slides out. You can also easily start the flap up and out of the way with your ring finger as you start the draw.

Of course, designed as it is, you have to reposition your trigger finger once you have a good grip on the handle, but if I'd made the notch deeper, I would be drawing by pulling on the trigger. Not good, even with the long, strong trigger-pull on the LCP! Also, that might subject it to the "AOW" category since it could be fired (once) from the holster.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old September 29, 2010, 08:39 AM   #5
jhog1

Since you can fire the gun while in the holster, this holster is illegal to own without the proper federal stamp from the BATF. If you get caught it is punishable up to a $250,000 fine. The BATF takes this very seriously. I would remove this post.
Old September 29, 2010, 08:58 AM   #6
CK Bigoldi

Quote:
Since you can fire the gun while in the holster, this holster is illegal to own without the proper federal stamp from the BATF. If you get caught it is punishable up to a $250,000 fine. The BATF takes this very seriously. I would remove this post.
huh? According to the 4th picture the trigger is completely covered when the gun is seated. It cannot be fired from the holster. I'm thinking that you looked at the 2nd picture and thought the gun was seated in the holster.