The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 25, 2008, 02:00 PM   #1
Reliabilityman

TC changed design of their hawkins breech?

As you may know from my other post below. I have boogered up the flats on the clean out plug (little screw just under the nipple) on my .50 cal TC percussion hawkins rifle. I called TC to get a replacement plug and the lady on the other end of the phone told me that TC no longer sells the clean out plug. She informed me that TC re-designed their Hawkins guns to eliminate the clean out plug and that I should send my barrel into TC and they will replace the breech free of charge because the old style stripped out. I think she was meaning the threads machined into the barrel, however I tried to explain that I was just wanting the little screw. She confirmed that if I wrote a letter to TC and sent my barrel in to them, they would replace my breech to the new style and send my barrel back to me free of charge. All of this seems to be a little too good to believe. My question to you all is this.
Does anyone know if TC re-designed their barrel to eliminate the clean out plug just under the nipple on these guns?
Do you think this offer is on the up and up. I would hate to send in my barrel for a .50 screw.

Anyone know where a guy can purchase on of these clean out plug/screws online? I think I am going to leave these in from now on and just clean the gun through the whole after removing the nipple.

Thanks
Old February 25, 2008, 02:35 PM   #2
armedandsafe

I believe that is a standard diameter/thread screw. The one I replaced on a CVA was metric, but I haven't measured my TC to see if it is metric or SAE. Get one that fits, cut it and blue it. Works fine for me.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old February 25, 2008, 02:44 PM   #3
Pahoo

Obviously!!
I don't say this to be sarcastic but your post prompted me to go look at my TC's and to my surprise, One has this plug and the others do not!! Now, the one that does, is an older original T.C. Hawken that was built back in the early 80's. This is before they even embossed "Hawken" on the barrel. You must have an older one as well. I suppose you could check the threads and try to find a set screw or drill and chase the threads or even drill and retap. If it looks bad, I'd send it back and have the breach plug replaced. Personally, I would not have a problem by not having this cleanout plug. Lyman and Traditions still have these plugs and have had some problems with them as the nipple hits the end of this plug. Make it easy on yourself.
Be Safe !!
Old February 25, 2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Reliabilityman

Yes mine is an early 80's model. I guess if I find a plug, I am going to leave it in forever, or send it to TC. I kind of like the original look of the gun.
Old February 25, 2008, 05:54 PM   #5
mykeal

I'd keep the barrel and replace the screw, like you want to do, or just leave the old one in place.

However, the offer from TC is legitimate. They have a reputation for repairing and upgrading for free. You have nothing to fear from sending it to them.
Old February 26, 2008, 07:39 PM   #6
Mac Attack

Does anyone know when TC stopped making the Hawken rifle with a clean our screw?

Reliabilityman and Pahoo,
If you don't mind me asking, what is the serial range of your rifles - what letter does it start with? The reason I ask is because I purchased a used TC Hawken rifle end of last year and it has the clean our screw. I have not intention of taking it out because of there really is no need to take it out.

When I contacted TC to determine the year of production they told me they lost all the information in a fire and have no way of dating a rifle. My rifle starts with a 'K' and I was hoping to determine my rifles age by comparing it to other's serial prefix and purchase date.
Old February 26, 2008, 07:43 PM   #7
Hawg

The K prefix means it was a kit gun if I'm not mistaken.
Old February 26, 2008, 08:14 PM   #8
Pahoo

Mac Attack/ Reliabilityman,

I do not know when the change came about however, as stated, Mine is early 80's, not a kit and serial number is #315XX, no alpha designation. Other physical features I might ask Y'all about are as follows but really do not know the significance. Hope I can communicate this better than my previous posts.

1) These older models have a higher more pronounced comb. Stocks are generally cut better. Check your combs !!!

2) Mine is not labled "Hawken" top of the barrel, this came later. Are yours marked or not?? I might add that I have a Seneca of this era and it too has no name on the top of the barrel.

3) This older model has the third hole drilled and tapped at the Tang for peep site mounting. Looks for that third hole on the tang. The current models that I have seen, do not have this third mounting hole.

Would appreciate you Y'all getting back to me on this information. I have also read information on when they changed the comb heigth. Will go back to my books and perhaps make a connection. I believe the source came from Sam Fadala, the outdoor writer. ... Be safe and please get back to me!!
Old February 26, 2008, 08:29 PM   #9
Mac Attack

Pahoo,

1) These older models have a higher more pronounced comb. Stocks are generally cut better. Check your combs !!!
Not sure what the comb is, can you elaborate?

2) Mine is not labled "Hawken" top of the barrel, this came later. Are yours marked or not?? I might add that I have a Seneca of this era and it too has no name on the top of the barrel.
My rifle does not have "Hawken" anywhere on the barrel. The barrel only has 2 lines enscribed on the barrel - "Thompson l Center Arms" , "Rochester, New Hampshire", ".50 Caliber". The serial number is K17xxxx

3) This older model has the third hole drilled and tapped at the Tang for peep site mounting. Looks for that third hole on the tang. The current models that I have seen, do not have this third mounting hole.
My rifle has the extra tang hole. I know this because I just installed a TC Hunter type sight.

Last edited by Mac Attack; February 26, 2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old February 26, 2008, 09:04 PM   #10
Pahoo

Mac Attack

I'm sure you have the high comb as yours and mine are about the same vintage. Look at the profile of your M/L and follow the tang as it comes back toward the butt end. You will see a hump as it comes up to the buttstock. If you can compare it to newer T.C. Hawkens, you will see that yours is higher and makes a sharp pronounced turn toward the rear. This heigth raises the top of the buttstock or the comb. Crap, I'm not doing this very well.
This time, take my word for it, you have a high comb and that is good. !!!
Be safe. Waiting to hear from: Reliabilityman
Old February 26, 2008, 09:29 PM   #11
Reliabilityman

mine too

my gun also just says same on the barrel as above like the others without the hawkins. I also have the nice stock with the big comb. I also have the third hole for the peep sight. my serial number is 156xxx. there isn't any alpha in the serial. if I had to guess based on my memory, my dad bought this new in 80-82 timeframe. I hope this helps. I am wondering if the screw from a renegade will fit in the hawkins?
Old February 27, 2008, 12:30 PM   #12
Pahoo

I don't know why not as I have seen no other differences in this area, for this caliber. I know you may want to preserve the original look but if it were my choice, I'd rather not have this clean out. If T.C. has offered to replace this plug, take them for their word. I have always been satisfied with their service.

Now, a few weeks back, I bought some Hawken parts from a dealer. He had a couple of these breach plugs that were bead blasted. Kind of thought it odd but now suspect that he salvaged them off bad barrels. Don't know if they had this little plug or not as I didn't pay that much attention.

Be Safe