The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 28, 2010, 02:05 PM   #51
Mike-Mat

I agree with m&p45acp10+1

They all work. Some require more work than others. With unlimited funds, I might have purchased a Dillon. With just a little more in my budget, I would have gotten a Hornady LnL Progressive. But I could afford a Lee Loadmaster and the accessories for my calibers.

All presses need some Love and Finesse to get them dialed in. I believe that some people who are not mechanically inclined, think a Progressive press is a magic machine that makes bullets. When they cant figure out the tuning of the mechanics, they post negative things on forums and bad product reviews on places like MidwayUSA's site.

There are no bad presses. Just bad operators with unreal expectations. All of these presses can make quality ammunition.

Mike Mattera
Old November 28, 2010, 05:45 PM   #52
wncchester

"There are no bad presses. Just bad operators with unreal expectations. All of these presses can make quality ammunition."

Roger that!!
Old November 28, 2010, 06:11 PM   #53
farmerboy

wincchester is right, we all have different oplnions and differnts ways on doing things. I use a single stage press and would not change a thing if you gave me any one or any brand out there. I love to shoot and reload. have thousands of rounds ready and load from time to time and shoot from time to time as well. and love my press, it suits all my needs.
Old November 29, 2010, 03:02 AM   #54
Hook686

+1

I'm with farmerboy ... I like my press. I use the Lee Classic Turret, while the Lee Pro1000 sits in a box in the garage. I like the Classic Turret and enjoy reload using it.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old November 29, 2010, 12:38 PM   #55
Edward429451

Good thread. We seem to be coming to the crux of it. Some people swear by the Lee presses and others swear at them. I surmise that the people that like Lee presses are mechanically inclined. (mechanically inclined people usually do not have unrealistic expectations from machinery).

Does that make Lee presses good then? I would think not. If a press has to have a (sic) mechanic run it for it to work then it is not what we call user friendly. We should be able to pass off the loading run to a less experianced friend while we go to the bathrrom and come back to find no problems! (No, I don't do this, I'm just making the point!)

No offense to Lee owners.
Old November 29, 2010, 12:54 PM   #56
rattletrap1970

I have been using Dillon 550rl since 1990 or so. Still have my first one. I have 3 now (but I AM selling one). Complete with 3 calibers and a bunch of stuff (PM me).

I have never had a problem with any product from them. Whenever something broke or stripped they had one in the mail and I got it a day or two later for free. They are very polite and knowledgeable on the phone and I swear they have their catalog memorized.
Old November 30, 2010, 07:14 AM   #57
wwmkwood

I've had the same great customer service form RCBS and Hornady.
Old November 30, 2010, 07:59 AM   #58
mikejonestkd

Quote:
Does that make Lee presses good then? I would think not. If a press has to have a (sic) mechanic run it for it to work then it is not what we call user friendly. We should be able to pass off the loading run to a less experianced friend while we go to the bathroom and come back to find no problems! (No, I don't do this, I'm just making the point!)
I've only had my LCT press for a short while and my 12 year old has loaded almost all of the ammo that we have made with it. Under supervision, he has had a perfect quality record with the press. He has probably loaded 1200 rounds and they have all functioned as expected. My role is basically sitting there and watching him load, while keeping a close eye on each stroke of the handle, and measuring the finished rounds for OAL.