The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 29, 2008, 01:49 AM   #1
redwing 40

lee Pro 1000

I have a new Lee Pro 1000. I picked this press up a few years back it is set up for .40 S&W. I bought the whole thing for $75.00 in the box. I have used Dillons for years but never used a Lee.

My question is this thing any good it seems a little light? Would it be worth changing to another caliber? How much of a problem is it to change out to say
a .44 MAg. or .45 ACP? About what would it cost? Where is the best place to get the parts?
Old November 29, 2008, 08:15 AM   #2
.45 Vet

For handgun re-loading, the P-1000 is all I've ever used. But there are plenty of folks that swear at them, not by them. For $75.oo I think you did ok. You can buy a complete "shell-plate carrier" for most any pistol caliber for a bit over $30.oo.

It will come with the propper size primer-feed and tray to hold 100 primers. You can find the parts at Midway, Lee Factory direct, and other web-sites all for less than the parent Lee will sell them for.

I just loaded 400 .45acp and 150 .45Colt yesterday on my twenty year old press. Took me a bit over 2 1/2 hrs. I have sepperate shell plate carriers for every caliber I load, except .45Colt. For the Colt I have to change-out the shell-plate and use the same carrier as I do for .45acp.(as they are both large-pistol-primed).

Using sepperate shell plate carriers is the best way to go as it requires less set-up/re-zerroing time. The P-1000 is a light-weight press, but it will turn-out reasonable quantities of very good ammo for a minimal investment.

Just checked Lee Factory direct, complete shell plate carrier is $39.oo (inflation)
www.factorysales.com

Last edited by .45 Vet; November 29, 2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old November 30, 2008, 12:44 AM   #3
redwing 40

.45 Vet many thanks. I am not clear on the whole change out. But it seems all I need is the carrier and a set of dies. Thx.
Old December 2, 2008, 03:00 PM   #4
ForneyRider

For my Pro 1000 kit in 41 mag, I bought an extra shell plate carrier, extra turret heads, and shellplates for .223, and 308 Win(45 ACP, .22-250, etc.).

It is pretty easy to swap out the turret heads. I could jump from caliber to the next in a few minutes and be back up and running. Biggest bottleneck is setting up the powder dropper. You can get an extra one of those, or get good at dumping out current powder and loading the new one.

75$ is a deal if it was complete, they are 140$ new with a set of dies.

You can setup the Lee Perfect Powder measure for rifle turret and Lee Auto Disk for small rifle and pistol on another turret.

The Pro 1000 is a little short, so I couldn't do 7mm Mag, but I heard someone was able to stuff a 270 in there, but I don't know how. For short rifle and pistol, it is great bang for buck.