The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 10, 2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Oquirrh

Nice Navy comes my way

Don't know how to post pictures or I would.
Nice ol' codger polished off all the markings and antiqued it, which probably made it hard to sell. He tells me it's a Pietta from Navy Arms. 5 years old or so. (still has serial no., is there a way to check the age?). I came across it when I got my Navy Pocket.

Feels as solid and tight as my ROA and has two cylinders. He told me to store it in the holster and not baby it, it will just make it look better. ;-)

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...4/IMGP0025.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...4/IMGP0020.jpg

Last edited by Oquirrh; June 11, 2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old June 10, 2008, 09:58 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

You don't have to "age" it any further. Storing it in the holster would make it susceptible to rust.
Old June 10, 2008, 10:24 PM   #3
Sarge

I like it.
Old June 11, 2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

There should be a date code on the frame somewhere, a box with two letters or a roman numeral starting XX that isnt in a box. Here is a reference page for proof markings and dates codes:

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/P...Proofmarks.pdf

Correction made
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; June 11, 2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old June 11, 2008, 01:23 PM   #5
mykeal

Actually, there SHOULD be a date code, but he's already said that the previous owner 'defarbed' the gun, removing all marks and 'antiquing' the finish.

There is no known relationship between serial numbers and date of manufacture for Pietta replica revolvers. That's one of the disadvantages of the popular practice of 'antiquing' these replicas. I have no problem with the owner of a gun doing whatever he wants to it, as long as he keeps it. I have a great deal of difficulty with people who 'antique' their guns and then sell them. You have no idea of the background/parentage of that gun. For all you know it's a Palmetto kit gun, worth essentially nothing.

I appreciate the fact that it locks up tight and feels solid. I presume you've inspected the barrel and chambers with a light and found them free of dirt/pitting/rust, and disassembled it to inspect the action parts.
Old June 11, 2008, 05:03 PM   #6
Fingers McGee

Quote:
There is no known relationship between serial numbers and date of manufacture for Pietta replica revolvers.
Actually, there is a partial list in the 5th Edition BP Blue Book. For 1851s starting SNs listed are:

1986 - 261770
1987 - 270639
1988 - 276147
1989 - 281729
1990 - 289218
1991 - 295461
1992 - 306405
1993 - 320701
1994 - 334123
1995 - 353230
1996 - 380048
1997 - 396922
1998 - 410579
1999 - 424561

Of course, if it's a "Pietta from Navy Arms. 5 years old or so." the serial number will be significantly higher.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old June 11, 2008, 06:56 PM   #7
mykeal

Yes, I have that book and have seen that list. I presume it's accurate as far as it goes. However, the caveat at the bottom speaks volumes - Pietta frequently changed serial number series for a new order by a distributor, thus the list only tells (presumably) the truth about a portion of any year's production.
Old June 11, 2008, 09:03 PM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
You don't have to "age" it any further. Storing it in the holster would make it susceptible to rust.
I live in the humid South and I've got 5 bp pistols and three smokeless pistols that live in leather full time. Some of them go for months without being used. No rust.
Old June 11, 2008, 10:01 PM   #9
oldwheat

'Old codger', eh! .... Actually, I was only kidding about storing it in the holster ( You might end up with rust in the innards & the bore even in our arid climate... The serial # is still there but all other marks have been removed.. I still have it's twin, didn't really need 2 Navys I figgered... Post the serial # , I'm not really sure which is the older of the two.. They are both Pietta's from DGW though...
Old June 11, 2008, 10:18 PM   #10
Oquirrh

More info...

I love this Navy. I shot it today. It's about 3" high and 3" left at 50'. I've been shooting 15g of fffg. After I find an accurate load, I'll work on moving POI to the right.

The serial No. is 528540. I found a mark on the face of the cylinder it's a star with what looks like "BN" under it. The "B" is so far gone it could be "P" or maybe "R". Theres another symbol but I can't make out what it's supposed to be.

Maybe when I completely tear it down this weekend, I'll find more markings.

I'm a pretty skeptical guy-- the seller was an black powder type and I don't think he would BS me about it being a Pietta. If it's "BN" the list provided by Fingers would indicate it's a 2000, which jibes with his statement that he bought it three or four years ago.

BTW, I shot my Navy Pocket too. besides switching out the nipples i put a leather pad under the main spring like I was advised on this forum and the misfires disappeared. I also had less problems with burst caps falling into the works. It still shoots a good 8" high at 50' with 12g of powder. I need to put a higher sight on the barrel.
Old June 11, 2008, 10:28 PM   #11
oldwheat

You miss my point, I AM the guy who sold it to you (Albertsons ) & yes, it truly is a Pietta from Dixie Gun Works ...
Old June 11, 2008, 10:30 PM   #12
Fingers McGee

The star over PN is an Italian proof mark.
Old June 12, 2008, 05:56 AM   #13
mykeal

Oldwheat - when was the gun manufactured?
Old June 12, 2008, 06:12 AM   #14
Oquirrh

our posts crossed, old wheat

we must have been typing at the same time.

hi, i really like the Pietta colt. Despite the exterior, you really took care of the bore and innards. Patches come out cleaner than on my Pocket Navy.

I was going to call you to ask: How'd you get the Navy to shoot to POA? I understand they shoot high invariably.

BTW, as a old codger, myself, I didn't mean an disrespect by the term "codger."
Old June 14, 2008, 10:24 AM   #15
oldwheat

To be honest , I never spent too much time working on POA... Just keep messing with loads & sooner or later, you will at least conquer the vertical accuracy... I don't have the foggiest as to the manufacture date..