The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 10, 2012, 11:56 PM   #1
samsmix

"inapropriate" hunting weapons

This was inspired by the SKS for Antelope thread. What Med. to Large game have you taken or seen taken with the "wrong" guns?

I personally have taken a white-tail with a 9mm Hi-power, and have seen an antelope taken with a buckshot loaded shotgun. I also took two mulie does with "00" buck, but was in the brush hunting whitetails at the time.

Everyone seems to know that an antelope rifle must shoot to half a mile on level sights, and throw rocks the rest of the way. That's why next this fall I will take my speed goat with a sidelock .50 and a round ball.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old February 11, 2012, 12:12 AM   #2
egor20

Inappropriate for Antelope and other small game.

Although from what some are saying about wild pigs.

it might work.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 11, 2012, 08:24 AM   #3
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmix
This was inspired by the SKS for Antelope thread. What Med. to Large game have you taken or seen taken with the "wrong" guns?
Most folks forget that until the latter part of the 1800s all game killed in the world was taken with black powder and a cast lead bullet. I've seen elk taken with pointy sticks and a bent piece of wood and string. For many years, the world record grizzly bear was on the books, taken by a teenage girl with a .22 (thank God that worked out well for her).

In the '80s I did all my rifle hunting with a black powder rifle and a patched round ball. I got very good with that rifle out to 150 yards and if the game was farther than that, they were admired and let walk.

It ain't the gun, son, it's the person behind it.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 11, 2012, 09:08 AM   #4
HOGSHOOTER

Well said,i`ve kill hogs with 22rimfire to 50 BMG the results are the same dead hogs(and buckshot,slugs and buck and ball] SKS AKS AR15S work just fine just do not use FMJ.HOGSHOOTER
Old February 11, 2012, 09:19 AM   #5
warbirdlover

A compound (or recurve) bow in the hands of someone who doesn't shoot it all year long.
Old February 11, 2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Baylorattorney

Hand grenades
Old February 11, 2012, 09:36 AM   #7
KBP

I think what should be looked at is "inapropriate" hunting by unskilled people! Almost any gun or weapon can be deadly in a skilled hunter's hands. Don't forget a .22 long rifle bullet can go thru 7 inches of wood under the right conditions! Many polar bears have been taken by native hunters with the 30-30 rifle. Its the hunter that makes the difference. That being said, the battleship would really only need one of those guns for most of my hunting requirements.
Old February 11, 2012, 10:51 AM   #8
cornbush

I have killed a few Pine chickens with sticks, rocks and my foot..... does that count????
Old February 11, 2012, 01:14 PM   #9
rickyrick

Sporks
Mini 14
Wood and blue rifles
Cartridges developed before 1950
Iron sighted rifles
rifles with 100$ scopes
rifles that your grandpa owned
Rifles that cool guys don't like
The rifle in your truck
The rifle you just bought.
The rifle you just asked about on a shooting forum.
Sporks
Old February 11, 2012, 01:19 PM   #10
Gunplummer

Cars. My x-wife killed/crippled more deer with her car than most people 30 and younger have hunting.
Old February 11, 2012, 01:22 PM   #11
Major Dave (retired)

I shot up a flock of peacocks..

in "Nam, early '66, with a M-16 on full auto.

I was on a last light recon flight in a small helocopter (can't remember the model name - the kind used in the M*A*S*H* tv series). Just me (artillery Air Observer), and the pilot.

We were at about 1,000 ft altitude, and saw a cultivated rice paddy in an area of no known villages, so we figured VC were growing their own food supply. We decided to take a low level look see, expecting to find the "farmers" nearby.

At about 100 ft of altitude, on a glide path to the rice paddy, we noticed a flock of about a dozen peacocks in/on the rice paddy. My pilot, on the intercom, told me to shoot them and take them back to the mess hall cooks.

So, as we dove down in attack mode befitting a WW II dive bomber, I unloaded a 20 round mag on full auto into the unaware flock.

Knocked down one bird, reloaded with another 20 rd mag at the fleeing flock - hit nothing!

Then, there was the Air Observer who engaged an elephant towing a light arty cannon - shot at him with 8 inch howitzer - 200 pound bullet, 2 ton target. Actually, very appropriate, I think.

Never hit the elephant - he was a moving target. Had to wait 5 to 10 minutes after every shot for the elephant to quit running. After about 5 rounds, the cannon was all bent up from being smashed into teak trees when the elephant ran amok everytime one of those 200 pound shells exploded near him. Mission accomplished - one enemy field piece destroyed!
Old February 11, 2012, 01:23 PM   #12
DougU

I guess I must be inapprpriate because I don't shoot my compound bow "all year long" In fact, I may go as long as 2 months in the middle of winter without shooting it at all. The rest of the year I might only shoot a couple times a week so every deer and turkey I kill must also be inappropriate............
Old February 11, 2012, 02:11 PM   #13
johnwilliamson062

DougU, I think he is talking more about people who bring it out a month before season and shoot it once or twice before they go out thinking it is a crossbow.

I do know a guy who sights his weapons on one day a week before season and that is it. He is in his 60s and spent a lot more time with them when he was younger. Once he shot a single shot with his muzzle loader at 125 yds, it was on target and he put it aside satisfied. He has hunted at least twice as long as I have been alive and no reports of him wounding anything that got away, so I can't judge. I know others who don't shoot well enough to be able to zero their shotguns at 45 yards with $50 worth of sabotted slugs.
Old February 11, 2012, 04:51 PM   #14
rickyrick

Go to this thread post 27 we have a winner.http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...84#post4955284
Old February 11, 2012, 04:59 PM   #15
Trip286

Have not checked it out myself to find if it's fact or crap, but I hear Alabama has a spear season. I also know people who have hunted hogs with knives.

I think there is no such thing as an inappropriate hunting weapon, unless you go into the extreme overkill, like using a 20mm rifle for white tail.

There are, however, some inappropriate/irresponsible hunters out there.
Old February 11, 2012, 05:08 PM   #16
samsmix

Okay I shouldda been more specific. I meant marginally capable weapons NOT designed for hunting. Antelope & larger is what I meant by med to large game. Not peafowl, poodles, mice or bunnies.

Old February 11, 2012, 05:13 PM   #17
Microgunner

I know of a few white tails taken, successfully, with .22lr.
Old February 11, 2012, 05:32 PM   #18
samsmix

I've known of some, and even seen it once, but I was thinking not so much of head shots as traditional heart & lung shots. Deer shot with .30 carbines, service pistols & service revolvers, prarie animals with shotguns or punkin' slingers...whatever.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I hunted whitetails with my brother who took 3 that day with a .375 H&H. He brought it for bison, but then found out he could buy surplus deer tags. Well, dead is dead. Meat damage was not so different fron an '06, which is really exactly what I expected.

Old February 11, 2012, 05:59 PM   #19
tahunua001

while tail with an AR15(not 6.8) I've committed blasphemy I'm also doing my spring blackbear with a 303 instead of 375 or larger...what can I say? I'm an unethical and heartless bastard
Old February 11, 2012, 06:03 PM   #20
samsmix

nope, you are a sane and sensible bastard.

Just kidding. Seriously though, I can't think of a cartidge much better suited to black bear than the .303.

Old February 11, 2012, 06:44 PM   #21
TX Hunter

Well I have killed a Big Hog in the woods at night with a Ruger Single Six .22 Magnum Revolver, It was a lucky one shot kill, If I had not shot when I did, I dont know how it would have turned out. I was Coon Hunting, but walked upon this hog in the brush.
Old February 11, 2012, 06:55 PM   #22
rickyrick

Well since the inception of this thread I got a mental scene of somebody punching an antelope in the grill with a set of brass knuckles.

But in the spirit of the op, I have to throw .30 carbine as the serious submission.
Old February 11, 2012, 08:25 PM   #23
samsmix

Once, North of Grass Range, MT, I saw a white-haird & handlebar mustacioed man, with oversized cartridges stuffed in the loops of his safari shirt. He was fueling up one of the old Range Rovers with the hood mounted spare tire. When I commented that it seemed like overkill for antelope, he replied with an Austrian accent:

"Young man (I was 14) I hunt all over the world, and I hunt with one rifle."

He then showed me a BEAUTIFUL Mannlicher stocked rifle, in .375 H&H with double set triggers and detatchable scope mounts.

It left an impression. The whole "beware the man with one gun..." bit.

And thank you to those willing to stick to the origonal intent of this thread.

Old February 11, 2012, 09:09 PM   #24
mightyoakwildlife

One season, I used my Sako Handy-Carbine in .375 H&H to thin out a couple dozen woodchucks in the neighbor's hay fields. Worked on a couple whitetails, also.
Old February 12, 2012, 12:02 AM   #25
bamaranger

zero

Any rifle you have not verified the zero on.