The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 3, 2013, 10:54 PM   #1
Jeff #111

Former Marine Joshua Boston's letter to Feinstein

So how many have already seen this letter? It's from former marine Joshua Boston and he sent it to Feinsten. It's on CNN where it started. Evidently it's gone viral. I like the letter and it's attitude. No response from Feinstein, but I would be willing to bet a couple bucks that she's now aware of it and the attention it's getting. Supposedly the letter has been verified as being true. Whatever the case it a good letter. Here you go.

Senator Dianne Feinstein,

I will not register my weapons should this bill be passed, as I do not believe it is the government's right to know what I own. Nor do I think it prudent to tell you what I own so that it may be taken from me by a group of people who enjoy armed protection yet decry me having the same a crime. You ma'am have overstepped a line that is not your domain. I am a Marine Corps Veteran of 8 years, and I will not have some woman who proclaims the evil of an inanimate object, yet carries one, tell me I may not have one.

I am not your subject. I am the man who keeps you free. I am not your servant. I am the person whom you serve. I am not your peasant. I am the flesh and blood of America.
I am the man who fought for my country. I am the man who learned. I am an American. You will not tell me that I must register my semi-automatic AR-15 because of the actions of some evil man.

I will not be disarmed to suit the fear that has been established by the media and your misinformation campaign against the American public.

We, the people, deserve better than you.

Respectfully Submitted,
Joshua Boston
Cpl, United States Marine Corps
2004-2012
Old January 3, 2013, 11:00 PM   #2
MonkeyKnight

Excellent!

I had not seen that. Perfectly stated. Thanks for sharing.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:55 PM   #3
stephen426

I think he kind of defeated his own point. He gave his full name, his rank, and the years he served. The Marine corp is the smallest branch of the military so it would be pretty easy to find out exactly who he is, where he lives, and the rest of his personal information. He also mentioned that he has an AR-15 so he essentially notified the US government, and the rest of the world via the Internet.

As for me... What guns? I don't own any guns!
Old January 4, 2013, 12:24 AM   #4
kilimanjaro

He's standing up for his rights as any citizen should do, and is not going to lie about it with some boat accident drivel. More power to him.

We don't have to be afraid of our government, they should be afraid of us.
Old January 4, 2013, 12:32 AM   #5
MonkeyKnight

Damn straight.

Thomas Jefferson and the movie "V for Vendetta" have the right idea. IMO

I will list what guns I have, not register them. And only give them up when the coroners come and pry my cold, rigor-mortis stiffened, gun shot residue covered hands off of them.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun,"
-- Wayne LaPierre, NRA's executive vice president.
Old January 4, 2013, 12:44 AM   #6
stephen426

I believe in my rights, but I sure as heck am NOT going to advertise to the government what I (allegedly) own. I, as a law abiding citizen, sure as heck do NOT want to get into a shoot out with the police over gun ownership. They may or may not agree with the laws, but they have orders to follow. Plausible deniability is better for self preservation. If you didn't believe in self-preservation, you most probably would not own a gun (other than as a hobby or for hunting).

Let's quit the chest pounding and do the smart thing. Just like in the game Whack-a-Mole, whoever pops his head up gets pounded!
Old January 4, 2013, 01:07 AM   #7
Dr Big Bird PhD

The clerk at the gun range I went to today said he has instructed hundreds of LEO's and SWAT team members on proper gun handling, use, and efficiency.

Yet it is illegal for him to have a CCW, but not Senator Feinstein.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 4, 2013, 01:08 AM   #8
MonkeyKnight

Let me apologize for coming off like I was chest thumping. That was not my intent.

Make no mistake, I don't want a shoot out with anyone. Much less on an official capacity.

It's a right to own weapons. I have been rewarded that right. It's known that I own weapons. If asked, I will willingly admit that I own weapons. I am a law abiding citizen and will not let myself be disarmed. I will also not cower down, lie and hide the fact that I am exercising a right.

If I did something that made me ineligible to possess firearms, like murder. Take them, and put me in the slammer. Those are the rules. I follow them. But then again, I am a sensible person.

If weapons are illegal here by popular vote, I will go somewhere where they are not. If enough people believe that this is the land that shall have weapons as a right to own, I will remain and aide the cause.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun,"
-- Wayne LaPierre, NRA's executive vice president.
Old January 4, 2013, 02:50 AM   #9
Metal god

I may be splitting hairs here but I often see things in letters or writings like this that turn me off . He makes a great point then says

Quote:
I will not have some woman
Things like that always make me think there is a underling issue .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 4, 2013, 04:40 AM   #10
youngunz4life

I sortof agree w/stephen. I love the letter, but have you ever noticed how far a similar argument of "I am a sovereign citizen so not held accountable by US law" has gone?
Old January 6, 2013, 02:59 AM   #11
50 shooter

The Nazi's also said they were just following orders, did that make killing Jews and other people declared non citizens okay?

I know some people need a reason to assure themselves that what's happening to them and others is right, okay... So when madame F finally gets her way and everyone is told to turn in your guns or go to jail, what then?

I've already made up my mind and I hope others have to that when the day comes, don't register your guns. Or even think of turning them in for that matter, because if you do they'll be melted down before you'll ever get them back.

Hate to say it but this Country is headed for another civil war because you know the shooting is going to start somewhere. Once it does there's no more fence sitting and there will be a lot of dead people on both sides before it ends. For this, Obama will go down as the most hated or the greatest president ever. Just depends on which side loses this time and in a civil war no one really wins.
No time for rearranging.
Old January 6, 2013, 03:36 AM   #12
pnac

Here's Joshua Boston in a CNN film clip. Some stuff could be more accurate, but overall, he did a good job. Made his point anyway.

http://xrepublic.tv/node/1640
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old January 6, 2013, 03:46 AM   #13
pnac

Quote:
Things like that always make me think there is a underling issue .
Did you mean "underlying" issue? A servant is, by definition, an "underling", although they don't seem to realize that.
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old January 6, 2013, 04:24 AM   #14
Metal god

Yea I can't spell very well .

What I meant was If the AWB goes through . Our elected officials will have passed the law . Last I checked It takes 269 votes and a signature for it to become law . Therefore no woman will have done or tried to take anything from him , so why say it like that ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 7, 2013, 01:24 PM   #15
trespass

no fly list?

so, reckon the corporal is now on the "no fly" list for indicating he might
actually stand on his hind legs like a grown man?

God Bless you corporal.
Old January 7, 2013, 01:30 PM   #16
trespass

reply to metal god

not sure I understand your intention with post, but will say this...
I have never had anyone but a liberal democrat take things away from me.
They want to take my guns, they want to take my money, my right to an opinion, my car, etc.
The corporal is right. There is a point at which a person just has to ask themselves if they will submit or not. I am not asking for anyone to take up arms and am asking for no act of violence, but at same time...there is a place at which a free man has to just say no. I will not do it. I think the corporal is approaching that point for himself and I appreciate the man in him
that stands on its hind legs, looks his opposition in the face and says..not one more step back will I take. OOOORAH Marine...Semper Fi!
Old January 7, 2013, 02:08 PM   #17
trespass

federalist 46

specifically, for starters, might read Federalist 46.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:12 PM   #18
Tengu01

I applaud this Marine for his stance , especially in the face of such anti-gun rhetoric and sheepishness that saturates the internet .
Old January 7, 2013, 09:34 PM   #19
Metal god

Yea i think I may have been misunderstood or I did not phrase it well .

I believe his point is well grounded and on point . I would have used the word( somebody , the government in place of woman ) When I read that I thought this guy has women issues and has his girl walk three feet behind him . Like I said in my first post I knew I was splitting hairs and really probably took it the wrong way . For that I'm sorry if I upset anybody . That was not my intention .

Old January 7, 2013, 10:18 PM   #20
jimbob86

Quote:
God Bless you corporal.
This.

I always said the Marines made better people.....
Old January 7, 2013, 10:19 PM   #21
SPEMack618

Saw the good Corporal on the idiot box this morning. He held his own pretty well.

needed a haircut and a shave though.

Pop walked by and grumbled

"What is he? A reservist?"
Old January 7, 2013, 11:36 PM   #22
jimbob86

Quote:
needed a haircut and a shave though.
After 10+years of high and tight and a baby-butt face (except on leave-mayhaps I came to associate facial hair w/ freedom and R&R?) .... I got right shaggy, and for years, after I got out....... joined the local VFD, and had to lose it- SCBA doesn't seal any better than an M-17 if you have a beard .....
Old January 8, 2013, 12:16 AM   #23
mikalangelo

Feinsteeeeeeeeeen,

There are more military personel and police officers that are abusing the law! it's not just the civilians! I don't believe in gun control while this government is the largest weapons manufacturer in the world! You want gun control stop making weapons lady!! if not then i believe everyone should own a gun.

Why should i wait 30 minutes for the cops to show up at my house or to a school shooting when i can make a villain look like a pasta drainer! and that's before he kills 30 some Kids!!! In dire situations you have to act quickly and not wait for the trigger happy people every time!!
Old January 8, 2013, 01:51 AM   #24
mack59

Read the letter and saw him on CNN interview (you may find it on youtube) he was very well spoken and not angry or confrontational. The anchor asked him what he would do if the ban was passed into law and he said he would not register his firearms. She then restated the question and said but what will you do if they come to take them and he just said he would not comply. No threatening nor chest beating tone or rhetoric. The anchor seemed a little flummoxed by his response. She then asked what should be done to stop the school shootings, implying that he might not be concerned about that and he basically said that people have the right to carry a gun for protection and he does and would use his firearm to defend himself or others if need be and that it was up to others or each individual to choose if they wanted to do so or not.

He came across as very calm likable and respectful in demeanor.
Old January 8, 2013, 04:22 AM   #25
50 shooter

That's the point, they're trying to bait him into coming off like a nut job! First outburst or crazy answer and they'll use it to villify him.

We are under the spotlight even more now and if you do for some reason get on TV, keep your cool and think about what you're going to say before it leaves your mouth. All they want is a slip up no matter how small to paint all gun owners as "nuts".

I'll repeat what I said before, I will not register anything with the .gov if it comes to it. Pass it along, the more that refuse the better.
No time for rearranging.