The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 2, 2002, 12:56 PM   #1
Hellequin

Homemade Porting

Have anyone tried to do some homemade porting of your handgun?

If yes; how did you acomplished the task??

I´ ve seen some porting jobs on glocks that seem to be easy to reproduce in your very own home with the proper tools.

I´d like some opinions. Even the disaster ones.

Thank you.
Old January 2, 2002, 03:24 PM   #2
Hand_Rifle_Guy

Drilling holes in barrels without kicking up huge burrs is not casually done. This is not conducive to maintaining rifling. Manufacturers use EDM machines (Electrical discharge machining) which remove material without cutting it. I should mention that I have a Webley barrel that has a couple of holes down through the top of it, but I have no idea how this was accomplished without kicking up burrs. Perhaps they were removed after the fact, but I don't know how. They don't seem to interfere with the barrel's function, though.

The other method is to machine an expansion chamber on the end of the barrel, and cut ports in the top of that. The ultimate recessed barrel crown. If you're going to try a home porting job, this is probably the route to go, but it requires enough meat in the barrel to accomodate the expansion chamber. And a lathe, with appropiate tooling to hold barrels. Additionally, it requires dismounting revolver barrels, but maybe that goes without saying.

Note: I've tried none of these personally, I'm just relaying what little I know.

Yer on yer own at this point, pilgrim.

I'm reminded of that every time the phone rings.

"The telephone is an infernal device whereby any damnfool with a nickel can ruin your whole day."---Mark Twain

H_R_G
Old January 3, 2002, 09:25 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Hellequin, there is an article in a magazine(?) called Modern Gunsmithing that the American Gunsmith Association sent me. It has an article covering this. I haven't tried it myself but then I haven't been asked to. You should be able to get a back issue from them. It's the same outfit or at least I believe they are in association with the American Gunsmith Institute. The folks that put out the videos. George
Old January 3, 2002, 01:11 PM   #4
Keith J

Not hard to do without burrs

There are a few tricks, one of them is driving a bullet into the area where the holes are to be drilled.
Old January 3, 2002, 02:25 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Or using a lead lapping slug and polishing compound to remove any burrs.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 3, 2002, 03:42 PM   #6
Jim Watson

I read an article in American Rifleman once, back when they were able to cover guns and shooting instead of politics, describing the porting of a .22 barrel for use in ISU Rapidfire - the event normally shot with .22 short, 5 shots in 8, 6, then 4 seconds.
The diy'er poured the barrel full of Cerrosafe chamber cast alloy before drilling. It prevented burrs from forming. OK for him, but not on my High Standard, thank you. Just FYI.

I had a couple of shotgun barrels ported locally. A pro machinist recommended using a ball end mill because it would form less of a burr than a drill bit. Less, not none; the barrels still required some polishing. It certainly reduced the recoil, though.