The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 25, 2014, 07:52 PM   #1
Kframe

My 2nd Day on the Regulation Trap Line...

As an update to this thread I want to talk about today, only my 2nd day at a real trap range.

Gorgeous day, by the way, SE MN in the fall can just be fantastic.
78°F, little wind, pretty much full sun once the morning clouds burned off.

Today I shot two rounds.
The gun came with five chokes, and the top barrel came fitted with IC (4 dashes) and the bottom had cylinder (5 dashes).
My first round, the other day, I only shot the top barrel, not even knowing at the time what chokes I had in.

Yesterday I pulled those two out and put in modified (3 dashes) in the over, and full (1 dash) in the under, intending to shoot a round with each barrel.
Once I got on the line though I forgot and ended up shooting both rounds with the modified choke top barrel.

The first round today I got a 10, worse than my first time out, and I knew I was going to shoot poorly as I was in the first squad after they opened at 5pm, and I was nervous and tachycardic as I'm a newbie and the whole organized shoot thing is new to me.
Then I had a water break and after a few minutes another shooter, a teenager, signed up so we shot a squad with me and her. I felt much calmer for the 2nd round and I tried to remember to keep my focus on the bird and start at good hold points.

I shot a 16!

The ones I got I totally dusted, and the ones I missed I knew about almost as soon as I pulled the trigger, they just felt wrong, and sure enough the clays would sail off into the grasses.

I know I lifted my head up on a few, as after the round I could feel that I got kissed on the jaw a few times by the stock. Lesson learned!

Anyway, I'm totally hooked and can't wait until my next round!
In the meantime, I'd love to hear suggestions on what I can do to improve between now and then, and for the next time up on the line.
Old September 25, 2014, 08:04 PM   #2
mxsailor803

And you thought I was joking when I said its like golf lol. Next thing you know, you're going to join the range and be at the clubhouse regularly lol.
Old September 25, 2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Kframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsailor803
And you thought I was joking when I said its like golf lol. Next thing you know, you're going to join the range and be at the clubhouse regularly lol.
Well you won't be surprised then to hear that since I got there early I helped them set up the stations on the line and chit chatted about membership.

It's only $25 a year and the only reason I didn't join today is I didn't have enough cash and they don't take plastic.

Itching for another fix,
Old September 25, 2014, 11:25 PM   #4
Kframe

These are my score cards. I'm going to try to keep them all and as I improve maybe I'll see patterns in where I'm missing consistently, like from the five stations.

Old September 25, 2014, 11:31 PM   #5
mxsailor803

Make you a binder of your best rounds as a keepsake.
Old September 26, 2014, 06:01 AM   #6
eastbank

welcome to the clay games dark side, you will meet wonderful shooters at the ranges who will help and guide to become a better shooter. as you get better a new shotgun or two will find their way into your collection(don,t ask me how i know) and don,t give up when you hit a slump. i have out shot every one (about 50) i shoot with regularly and in turn all of them have out shot me. but most of all enjoy the clay games and new friends you will make. so far this year i have fired 3150 rounds at my closest trap range(i shoot at four). eastbank.

Last edited by eastbank; September 26, 2014 at 06:10 AM.