The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 7, 2009, 11:05 PM   #1
DG45

Replacement forearm for Model 11?

I recently bought an old Remington Model 11, manufactured in 1938. It's in very good (or better) condition. The wood on this gun is beautiful: I think it's walnut. I've read that cracks in the forearm are a common problem in Model 11's but mine isn't cracked, although there are a few small scratches on it. Still, I know it may crack one day if I use it a lot -and I intend to use it a lot.

This model was discontinued by Remington in 1948 but they made about a million of them between 1911 and 1948 so presumably there are still lots of them out there. Hopefully, somebody still makes replacement parts for these guns. I'd like to buy a spare forearm with identical checkering so that if mine ever cracks, I'll have another one. Anyone know where I might find one for reasonable money?
Old November 8, 2009, 01:05 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...a spare forearm..." Gunparts lists 'em. A 3 shot, 12 ga., walnut, forearm(no picture or mention of checkering) runs $34.20.
Gunparts lists most of the other parts at reasonable prices too.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/products_new.asp?CatID=5642
Both the checkered butt stock and matching forestock, used 12, 16 or 20 Gauge with scratches(easily fixed), can be had here. Looks like nice walnut. $100 for the butt stock, $125 for the forestock.
http://www.gun-parts.com/remingtonstocks/
Old November 8, 2009, 07:27 PM   #3
DG45

Thanks for the info, T. O'Heir. I agree with you. The walnut ones do look very nice.
Old November 8, 2009, 09:50 PM   #4
amd6547

Or, you can use the Ramline synthetic forearm made for the Auto five in the field, and save your wood for display. It drops right on. That's what I did.
Old November 9, 2009, 12:42 PM   #5
DG45

That makes a lot of sense amd6547. Can you post a photo of your gun? I'd like to see how the synthetic forearm looks on your gun. Also, you mention that your gun is an Auto 5 which I know is a Browning. Mine's a Remington Model 11. I realize they were both licensed to be made under the same Browning patent but I'm not sure they're completely identical in all respects. Will a synthetic forearm that will fit an Auto 5 will also fit a Remington Model 11? Or do they make a slightly different one for Auto 11's? Thanks for your reply and any other info you can share.
Old November 9, 2009, 01:53 PM   #6
amd6547

I have an older Model 11...the type with the safety in the trigger guard. The Ramline Auto 5 forearm fit perfectly. Don't have a pic, but...well, to me, it was about function...it looks a little strange with the synthetic forearm and the wood buttstock. The synthetic buttstock won't fit without bending the lower reciever tang, which I am unwilling to do. I could pick up a spare trigger guard assembly with the lower tang and alter that, I guess.