The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2009, 10:32 PM   #1
gdeal

Lee Turret Press mounting

Where on your workbench do you mount your Lee Turret Press? Right side? Left Side? Middle? Doesn't matter? I am just wondering before I start screwing holes into the wood.
Old August 16, 2009, 10:38 PM   #2
marlinreloader

Right

I like mine a little to the right with a powder throw to the left and a Lee unversal de-prime a little more right.

This gives me alot of room to work on the left for tools and manuals.

Marlinreloader
Old August 17, 2009, 06:10 AM   #3
QBall45

The correct answer is where do you want it? Press position is really personal preferance.

I'm left handed, I work my handle with my right. My press is off on the right side. This gives me plenty of space on the left to work.
Old August 17, 2009, 11:14 AM   #4
dsv424

I mounted my Lee Turret on the far right side. That way I have the cases and bullets sitting just to the left for easy access. If you are left handed the handle on the turret can be mounted on either side. Its your preference.
Old August 17, 2009, 11:21 AM   #5
GeauxTide

Yep, far right side. Gives lots of room for case and bullet setup.
Old August 17, 2009, 11:51 AM   #6
RidgwayCO

Instead of drilling holes in your bench, why not attach your bench-mounted tools to pieces of wood and then mount them using C clamps? That's what I do now, and it's great because you can move your tools around to where they work the best and not have to worry about putting holes in your bench that may not work for you later. Just a thought.
Old August 17, 2009, 12:03 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I just mounted mine on the far right side. I'm right handed and will be using the press with that hand, plus I'm using the Auto Prime so I wouldn't want to be reaching around the handle to prime a round.
Old August 17, 2009, 01:58 PM   #8
gdeal

Quote:
why not attach your bench-mounted tools to pieces of wood and then mount them using C clamps?
Ok... Plywood? What size for a Lee Turret Press?
Old August 17, 2009, 02:27 PM   #9
RidgwayCO

Plywood, mdf, whatever you've got that's about 3/4" thick. Cut it so that you've got an extra inch or so top and bottom, and a couple of extra inches on both sides for the C clamps to get a good hold. Remember to relieve the bottom of the holes (on the side nearest the bench) to allow the bolt heads to not touch the surface of the bench when it's tightened down. I just did this for my Lee Classic Cast single-stage press. I'll see if I can get some pictures in a couple of days.
Old August 17, 2009, 03:03 PM   #10
illinoisbrassman

I currently have mine bolted to the bench, but am in the process of acquiring a new bench and rail system to mount all my presses so they can be removed/installed as needed. with just a quick cam clamp.
Old August 17, 2009, 03:06 PM   #11
gdeal

Quote:
rail system to mount all my presses so they can be removed/installed as needed. with just a quick cam clamp
I know that many of us would be interested in seeing some pics when you have that all set up. Sounds interesting.
Old August 17, 2009, 03:11 PM   #12
Russ5924

Mine is to the right and use my right had to insert the case and my left to place the bullet and remove the loaded cartridge.
Old August 17, 2009, 07:55 PM   #13
The_Vigilante

Lee Turret Press mounting

I have a Lee Classic Turret, Lee Classic Cast Single Stage, and a Lee Loadmaster. I mounted all of them on pieces of 2 x 12 and then C-clamped them to my bench.
Old August 17, 2009, 08:00 PM   #14
gdeal

Quote:
I have a Lee Classic Turret, Lee Classic Cast Single Stage, and a Lee Loadmaster. I mounted all of them on pieces of 2 x 12 and then C-clamped them to my bench.
Wow.