The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 24, 2013, 03:58 AM   #51
JC57

Bad idea. Keep the Glock 19. If the laws they are proposing get passed, you will still be able to buy a revolver in the future, and may even have more choices of revolvers as companies switch over manufacturing to non-banned guns. But I bet you won't be able to get a new Glock 19 (or maybe only a 7+1 capacity.)
Old January 24, 2013, 09:18 PM   #52
Revolver1

No brainer. The Colt.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:17 PM   #53
capt Ajax

I have a S&W airwaight that I use for CC and I like it.....but I wouldn't trade a Glock 19 for it. I also own a Glock 19 and it is a good pistol BUT that Charter Arms revolver is nice!

I say take the Charter...if you can aford the cash. You might be able to negotiate a better price for your mags since the ban will make them worth more $$$.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:39 PM   #54
BIG P

Another keep the Glock,just buy something else.NO TRADE You'll be sorry.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:24 AM   #55
Glenn Dee

I prefer S&W revolvers... I like Colt revolvers, I have owned Charter Arms revolvers... Keep the Glock. I'm not looking at dollar values but the tactical advantage each weapon would give. The Glock 19 IMO is the perfect combination of all issues. It is a service sized pistol that can serve in that capacity, it is quite capable of concieling as well as most guns, including that Glock 26, It carries a full load out of rounds (15). I could personally testify to the tourture tests and standards the Glock 19 has aced in the past. IMO They are uber-reliable.

The S&W revolver is as reliable as any gun made, it is as durable as any gun made. But it has a specific role. It's a secret squirrel hide out gun. If deep concielment is the mission order.... the S&W is your baby. However the Glock may not be quite as stealthy... it can work.

The Colt Detective Special is a cross between a service revolver, and a hide out gun. Colts have protected Police Officers, and non sworn civilians as well for decades. This revolver is out of production. Some say is a bit fragile, though that has not been my experience. While not quite as concielable as the Smith it's bit more concielable than the Glock. However Glocks are seviceable ad nausium.. there are no shortage of Glock parts, or armerors. The Glock 19 may not concieal as well as the colt... it is a true service sized pistol with a much larger load out of ammo. Again whats important to you.

The Charter arms revolver depending on the model... is either the same size as the Smith J or a long barreled Detective special. Either way there are IMO better choices. A larger Charter arms is about the same dimensions as the Glock 19, but with more sharp edges, and a lot less BB's. IMO Either the Smith, or the Colt would be more reliable, and a better choice than the Charter.

If my opinion had any weight I'd advise you to trade the Glock 26 before the 19. The Glock 19 can do anything the Glock 26 can do... only better. If I were to make a trade... I'd do the Glock 26 for the Smith J frame... and get a few bucks for a holster and ammo as well.
Old January 27, 2013, 12:07 PM   #56
happyguy

Colt
Old January 27, 2013, 12:13 PM   #57
Fjblair

642 or bust. Great revolver.
Old January 27, 2013, 12:25 PM   #58
redrick

I wouldn't trade it for anything on your list if it's 100% reliable. Might sell it if I could get $500 for it and buy something else.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:06 AM   #59
Josh17

I do love both the Glock 19 and 26. The only reason I leaned toward trading the 19 instead was because of "wear/age". I'll explain it below, I can't decide which is better to keep just in case I do decide to trade... Keep the 19 or 26? Details of each below:

GLOCK 26 GEN 3 Age: about 4 months old. Rounds fired through life of pistol: about 100. Everything is stock (not a bad thing I think the more stock, the more reliable). Condition is great since its only a few months old. I have a pretty nice holster for it.

Vs

GLOCK 19 GEN 3 Age: unknown. Bought it from a retired police officer. I don't remember if he said it was his duty weapon or not... Either way I'm guessing it was heavily carried, and has a high round count from training and practice. Or maybe it wasn't the officers duty weapon and he could have bought it while retired and it isn't that old... Problem is I don't know! So it could have about 500 rounds through it's life or 15,000... No idea. The condition looks still pretty good. The only thing I don't like is not knowing the age and round count on the Glock 19. I hate to be using it and one of the parts is at the point of needing replacement. The plus is it has night sights which I love. Also has a wolf trigger, plug, and easier mag release. I don't care at all for any of those add ons I like stock GLOCK as I think stock is more reliable. The night sights are an exception.

So knowing what I said above, does the Glock 19 still seem like a better keeper than the Glock 26? What makes the Glock 19 better anyways (just wondering). If I did keep only the G26, I'd keep a couple extra G-19 mags to use with the 26. Doesn't that make the mag difference no longer an issue? I figure they are both equally reliable. So I wonder what benefits the Glock 19 has over the 26 BESIDES mag cap as I have already G-19 mags for the 26 to make them equal. And since the G-19 is older, I wonder if its really any better than the G26 if mag cap is taken out of the equation?

Last edited by Josh17; January 28, 2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old January 28, 2013, 11:09 AM   #60
MLeake

What is the big deal?

If in doubt, replace your recoil spring, mainspring, etc preemptively.
Old January 29, 2013, 01:15 AM   #61
Josh17

Hmm, didnt know that's all that would need replacing... I figured there'd be "more" parts to replace. But then again it's a Glock....

I just figured a brand new Glock 26 would be worth more than a 10+ year old probably heavily used Glock 19.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:18 AM   #62
MLeake

It would, but why trade either?

The Colt DS would make a good collector's gun, if it's in really good to excellent condition - but then it would be a bad choice for a "truck gun."

As noted earlier, I don't see any gain for you, other than the monetary value you might see on the DS if you did NOT use it as a truck gun, in trading the G19.
Old January 30, 2013, 03:49 PM   #63
ccwnut

Wait!

Yep, that's what I'd do. Keep both Glocks, and save up the money to buy a revolver. And to that end, I'd go with the 642- just something about it that speaks to me.
Old January 30, 2013, 03:55 PM   #64
Grant D

Get the Colt.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:03 PM   #65
Munkster

Keep the glock, especially in these times in which hi cap arms are in peril i suggest you keep your glock, it may or may not go up in value but in terms of carry its one of the best choices you have (reffering to 3rd gen im not a fan of the gen4). If you so decide to get rid of it i would save of some money and see how much i could sell it for and then see if i can buy something , but these trades dont seem very appealing. I wish you the best of luck
Old January 31, 2013, 10:58 PM   #66
wayneinFL

Kind of a gamble, but...

Trade for the Charter Arms and $300. That's like $600 value give or take. Then when the ban doesn't happen, and the panic buying wanes, buy a used Glock 19 with the $300.

Free Bulldog!
Old January 31, 2013, 11:38 PM   #67
guardjim

Get the Colt. They are no longer made and worth two of your Glocks.
Old February 1, 2013, 06:50 AM   #68
MLeake

If he uses the Colt as a truck gun, and lets it get beat up, it will not be worth two Glocks. The OP is not looking for a collector, according to what he's said, he wants a gun to stick in his glove box and forget.
Old February 2, 2013, 04:33 PM   #69
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake View Post
If he uses the Colt as a truck gun, and lets it get beat up, it will not be worth two Glocks. The OP is not looking for a collector, according to what he's said, he wants a gun to stick in his glove box and forget.
And on that note, get the Glock then. Do that to a Colt and many won't like you on a personal level.

Sent from my phone...expect typos.
Old February 2, 2013, 11:33 PM   #70
Josh17

Yeah am looking for a truck gun. That's why I leaned toward revolvers. The COLT I will pass for sure it's too old and not a good idea for truck pistol.

The Charter arms seems like a sweet deal to me. A .44 charter arms, a box of 50 rounds of .44 special, a holster, AND $300 cash... That seems like an amazing offer to me. (Brand new charter arms retails for $415). I figure a Charter arms should be perfect for a truck gun, especially if it was bought brand new in 2008 and only fired 100 times max, should be a good choice since it is used, but not heavily used only 100 rounds. Shouldn't a Charter arms be über-reliable if its only been fired less than 100 rounds and is only 4 years old?? I figure a loaded charter arms that just sits in say, the Glove Box, is more likely to go "bang" everytime vs a Glock that just sits in the glove box, but that's just my view on revolvers don't know how accurate it is.

But man I dunno I love Glock! I just figured with that extra $300 cash I could literally buy another pistol... Or just have that extra $300 and a .44 revolver to go with it.. Can't make up my mind, driving my crazy lol.

I already have a Glock 26, so I can have the Glock 26 do anything the 19 can (since the 26 can take a Glock 19 mag). The only benefit I see with the 19, at least for me, is it has night sight. Is there anything different on a Glock 19 that make it better or more reliable than a 26??? I thought they where the exact same, just one is sub-compact vs compact. And internally, isn't the only difference between a Glock 19 vs 26 the dual recoil springs in the G26??

Last edited by Josh17; February 2, 2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old February 3, 2013, 12:59 AM   #71
k511

another vote for keeping your glock here....ive had all 3 of thoe revolvers and they only one worth a darn to me was the S&W and its the only one i still have...around here at least they are easy to come by in the 350 range....the glocks are whats gettin eaten up right now cause of the 10+ ammo mags
Old February 3, 2013, 04:55 PM   #72
s9601694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh17 View Post
Thanks for all the relplies, I held off on any trades.
Good for you! I traded my G17 for a G23 and even though I love my 23 I miss my 17!! NEVER get rid of a Glock!
Old February 3, 2013, 11:00 PM   #73
Aiko

Dude, keep your Glock and save for the revolver.
Old February 4, 2013, 03:39 AM   #74
Josh17

I keep getting new offers, this time a Ruger security six (or Ruger speed six). From what I read they are arguably the best revolver Ruger ever made, and built like a tank so very reliable and good carry or truck gun. At least that's what I read.

But after reading all these posts I think the Glock is my best bet still. Keeping it and saving up for a Revolver seems like a good idea.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:10 PM   #75
ET.

I can't help but get the feeling that now is the time to sell a handgun. I bought a LNIB Glock 23 gen 4 blue label the week of the Conn. shootings for $475. That exact gun just sold on Gunbroker for $875. It's crazy. I could double my money and then wait for the prices to come back down. Buy low sell high!!! Okay, I won't really sell any of my guns, but if I was smart I would sell them all except maybe 1 or 2 tomorrow.