The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 13, 2013, 09:16 AM   #1
kraigwy

Cold Weather BP Shooting

I know BP builds up in the barrel as it's shot and the barrel needs swabbed every couple rounds (I swab mine after three rounds).

What do you use in cold weather. Normaly I use warm soaky water or TC's mixture.

Both freeze. I was shooting yesterday and it was right around 0*. Its a pain to shoot three rounds and head for the house to swab the barrel, then back out side for another three rounds.

Is there a cold weather BP barrel lube that can be used to swab a barrel in sub zero temps??
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 13, 2013, 09:58 AM   #2
mykeal

Alcohol.

Or one of the mineral oil based solvents (ie, Ballistol).
Old January 13, 2013, 10:55 AM   #3
BirchOrr

Re:

mykeal is correct.

I swab between every shot. In the field, I keep a plastic Skoal can in my pocket (to keep it warm) full of either T/C pre-soaked patches, or I pre-make my own using Simple Green.

After a shot, I run 2 or 3 wet patches (I roll them into a ball between my fingers so they're not too wet, don't want to foul the nipple/breach plug) until they come out fairly clean. Run a couple dry patches. Load powder and sabot, ball, etc. After loading, I run a patch of Ballistol to protect the barrel and keep it from freezing. I can do this in under 2 minutes and well worth it!

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old January 13, 2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Pahoo

Mineral Spirits

Another use for Mineral Spirits ....
I also use a product called; StrongArm

Be Safe !!!
Old January 13, 2013, 12:13 PM   #5
kraigwy

Thanks for the info guys, I really like the Skoal can ideal.

Now if I can only get my wife to use some Skoal so I can get an empty can I'd be good to go.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 13, 2013, 12:43 PM   #6
BirchOrr

^^^

Get her to drink the alcohol, chew the Skoal and after that... you might be persuaded to go shooting at a later time.
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...