The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 7, 2013, 09:42 PM   #1
ttheel

Which AR should I Buy?

I am looking to pick up my first AR before it is too late to do so. Given the difficult environment to be a buyer right now I understand that one may not get everything he wants. Which one of these AR's would you choose for the price? All are brand new.

PSA M4 Premium Carbine - $1200
Smith & Wesson M&P 15 - $1700
Colt Le6920 - $2000

I know, big prices but that is the way it is in todays climate.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Captains1911

Wait a few months and get the Colt. No way in hell though I'd pay more than $1200-$1250 for it.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:52 PM   #3
Creeper

"Today's climate" won't last, so... what the Captain said.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:56 PM   #4
RamItOne

holy cr@p
Smith & Wesson M&P 15 - $1700 (gosh i hope its not the sport)
Colt Le6920 - $2000 ( I didnt like them at 1,100)

IF you seriously believe there will never be a time when you are legally able to purchase an AR15 then I would go with the PSA (good enough quality) and put the rest of the money towards the ridiculously priced ammo to go along with it

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 7, 2013, 09:59 PM   #5
ttheel

Quote:
"Today's climate" won't last, so... what the Captain said.
Do you really think so? They were banned once before, do you not think there is a good chance of it happening again?
Old January 7, 2013, 10:07 PM   #6
CTS

When the ban was implemented in September 1994 the dems controlled both houses of the Congress. I have doubts that they can get anything even close to that restrictive of a ban passed today. If the POTUS goes around Congress with an illegal Executive Order, it will be easily overturned by the Supreme Court in my opinion.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:34 PM   #7
slim9300

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappy View Post
When the ban was implemented in September 1994 the dems controlled both houses of the Congress. I have doubts that they can get anything even close to that restrictive of a ban passed today. If the POTUS goes around Congress with an illegal Executive Order, it will be easily overturned by the Supreme Court in my opinion.
All it takes is a few weak Republicans to cave in the House and the "AR" and "high capacity mags" are gone forever (amongst other sweeping changes). If you don't think that's possible you haven't been listening to the news or talk radio. I have heard quite a few stanch conservatives (and republican congressmen) and self-proclaimed strong 2nd Amendment supporters calling for a supposed "middle ground" on gun control. They say, "Why does one need an AR, AK, high capacity magazine or thousands of rounds of ammo?" These are conservatives not just RINOs. I think we may be in bad shape this time.

I'm pretty sure the $200 tax and forfeiture of all "ARs" to the government upon your death, won't hold up in Congress, but that doesn't mean we're still not f-ed. Trust me when I say that I hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 7, 2013, 11:58 PM   #8
Adamantium

Politics aside, even if you buy a rifle right now what magazines will you use and what ammo are you going to shoot in it? Waiting for inflated prices to come down on one is waiting for the same on the others.
Old January 8, 2013, 03:31 AM   #9
Auto426

Quote:
Do you really think so? They were banned once before, do you not think there is a good chance of it happening again?
They weren't banned last time around. The AWB basically created a list of 5 military like features, and said that for a new weapon to be legal it could only have 2 of those 5 features. So gun companies dropped things like bayonet lugs and threaded barrels and suddenly the guns were legal again. The dems also lost a great deal of seats in congress by passing the bill, and me thinks they won't be so eager to enact any new legislation this time around.

But back to the original question, I agree with the others in saying hold out. A Colt 6920 is supposed to sell for right at $1000, and there is no sense in feeding the price gougers. Just give it a little time. Once this whole thing blows over and manufacturers can catch up on their back logs prices will come back down.
Old January 8, 2013, 03:39 AM   #10
Stripeknight

I would probably go with the Colt personaly, I remember that last ban and for 10 years regretted not getting the gun I wanted. I was lucky that the ban passed. I for one think that it's risky either way. Buy a rifle and be mad in year if nothing passes, or be upset the rest of your life if they do pass possibly. There is another factor, If Obama passes the Nato sanction he could possibly pass up the congresional vote altogether from what I read.
Old January 8, 2013, 07:46 AM   #11
Moby

If every single one of us do not contact ALL of our representatives and strongly voice our opions of this ban it will happen. Politians want ONE THING, reelection. Threaten that with enough voters and they vote the way their constituents want them to.

DO NOT WAIT FOR OTHERS TO WRITE!
You MUST get vocal. The left wins by being vocal.
WE MUST BE VOCAL!
Write, email, call. Get your friends to do the same!
The rights you save will be worth it.
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old January 8, 2013, 07:47 AM   #12
TacticalDefense1911

The Colt is the best gun out of those three but that is a silly price. The PSA is still a Mil-Spec gun and by most accounts a very solid gun for the money. I'd go with the PSA and buy yourself some ammunition with the extra money. S&W seems to make a decent AR but for $500 more then the PSA and the fact that it is not Mil-Spec it wouldnt be my choice out of these three.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:27 AM   #13
Pilot

Quote:
If the POTUS goes around Congress with an illegal Executive Order, it will be easily overturned by the Supreme Court in my opinion.
I wouldn't bet on that. Look what "conservative" Justice Roberts did with the un-Constitutional Obamacare just because "he didn't wnat to be the one to strike it down", not that it violated the law. Pure personal "feelings" over the rule of law.

In addition, Obama may get to appoint TWO far left Supreme Court justices this term (like the previous two) which would shift the balance to very liberal. Then just about anything he does will be upheld.

Elections have consequences. Thanks Amerika.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:32 PM   #14
Justice06RR

At those ridiculous prices, just go with the PSA and buy some ammo (if you can find them lol).

The Colt is great, but just way overpriced at this point in time.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:40 PM   #15
Xfire68

I would have to agree. What are you going to shoot out of it? If you can find ammo in any good amounts the stuff is costing almost as much as the AR! Skip it for now and wait it out.
Old January 9, 2013, 07:28 AM   #16
droptrd

Those prices are absolutley rediculous. Just be patient. 2K for a 6920
Old January 9, 2013, 09:39 AM   #17
MMV.30

Wait. Then buy the Colt.
Old January 9, 2013, 06:49 PM   #18
Fjblair

Really it's a crap shoot. In 6 months $2k for the Colt may have been a bargain. It's easy to say wait if you have an AR not so easy if you don't have one and want one. Or maybe it will all go away and the AR's will be cheap and plentiful.
Old January 9, 2013, 06:56 PM   #19
Hairbag

That ship has sailed already!
Old January 9, 2013, 07:14 PM   #20
Xfire68

Quote:
It's easy to say wait if you have an AR
Yes I do have a AR but, I was looking to build a AR just for hunting when the panic set in.

I can not only not find a upper in 6.5 Grendel but, if I could I could not afford it!

I was lucky enough to buy mine when prices were at close to the lowest I have seen.

I feel bad for those that just bought AR's a month of so ago and only bought a few hundred rounds. They don't get to enjoy them like they should.
Old January 9, 2013, 07:36 PM   #21
Grizz12

Quote:
I wouldn't bet on that. Look what "conservative" Justice Roberts did with the un-Constitutional Obamacare just because "he didn't wnat to be the one to strike it down", not that it violated the law. Pure personal "feelings" over the rule of law.

In addition, Obama may get to appoint TWO far left Supreme Court justices this term (like the previous two) which would shift the balance to very liberal. Then just about anything he does will be upheld.

+1000
Old January 9, 2013, 08:00 PM   #22
pturner67

I think you're mistaken if you think the panic will die down. Did you see the news today?

Vice President Joseph R. Biden vowed action on gun control from President Obama on Wednesday and floated the idea that Mr. Obama could use executive action to do so.
“The president is going to act,” Mr. Biden said, speaking briefly before a meeting with gun safety and gun victims’ groups Wednesday. “There are executive orders, executive action that can be taken. We haven’t decided what that is yet. But we’re compiling it all with the help [of] the attorney general and all the rest of the cabinet members as well as legislative action we believe is required.”
Old January 9, 2013, 08:09 PM   #23
slim9300

Quote:
Originally Posted by pturner67 View Post
I think you're mistaken if you think the panic will die down. Did you see the news today?

Vice President Joseph R. Biden vowed action on gun control from President Obama on Wednesday and floated the idea that Mr. Obama could use executive action to do so.
“The president is going to act,” Mr. Biden said, speaking briefly before a meeting with gun safety and gun victims’ groups Wednesday. “There are executive orders, executive action that can be taken. We haven’t decided what that is yet. But we’re compiling it all with the help [of] the attorney general and all the rest of the cabinet members as well as legislative action we believe is required.”
I agree with your point 100%. This is not "blowing over."

If Obama takes "executive action" on anything related to firearms he had better be prepared for very bad things. I hope that idiot is just posturing. Scary times. Just picked up another 1500 rounds of ammo today. "Panicking" seems like a legitimate outlet to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 9, 2013, 08:20 PM   #24
Catfishman

Quote:
All it takes is a few weak Republicans to cave in the House and the "AR" and "high capacity mags" are gone forever (amongst other sweeping changes). If you don't think that's possible you haven't been listening to the news or talk radio. I have heard quite a few stanch conservatives (and republican congressmen) and self-proclaimed strong 2nd Amendment supporters calling for a supposed "middle ground" on gun control. They say, "Why does one need an AR, AK, high capacity magazine or thousands of rounds of ammo?" These are conservatives not just RINOs.
What Republicans said this?
Old January 9, 2013, 08:52 PM   #25
BigD_in_FL

Quote:

Yep, and it seems a lot of gun owners did not vote their RKBA rights, so the OP may not get a chance the way the antis are really trying to push through a law. They did it with obamacare, this will be easy, too many believe the current media lies