The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 2, 2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Geek-With-A-Gun

.40 S&W Caliber Cartridge not Accurate?

I was reading in Guns magazine today (January Issue) about the 20th anniversary of the .40 S&W caliber cartridge and in the article it was stated:

"Though not the most accurate pistol cartridge out there, the .40 S&W has more than enough accuracy for it's purpose."

My question is this, why was such a statement made? Is it really less accurate than let's say a 9mm or a .45 ACP?
Old December 2, 2009, 09:12 PM   #2
jontz

Sounds like a duboius claim to me. I know several people who shoot it better than any other caliber, and I have never seen any hard data to suggest it is less accurate than any other handgun caliber. Maybe they are comparing it to rifle rounds...

Last edited by jontz; December 3, 2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old December 2, 2009, 10:02 PM   #3
jersey_emt

Agreed, definitely a dubious claim. I don't think it holds any merit, the .40 S&W is a great handgun round.

Please check out WhichGun.com, a firearms reference and buying guide.
Old December 2, 2009, 10:12 PM   #4
Blue Grass

I call B.S. I've never seen any informed research that says the .40 S&W is inherently less accurate than any other self defense caliber.
Old December 2, 2009, 10:19 PM   #5
fyimo

My 40 SW Sig 226 is a very accurate handgun and shoots equally as well as my 9mm Sig P226.
Old December 2, 2009, 10:21 PM   #6
TriumphGuy

In most cases involving modern ammunition, it's the firearm or the shooter that isn't accurate, not the cartridge. This assumes quality ammunition, of course.
Old December 2, 2009, 10:59 PM   #7
AK103K

I dont usually shoot a lot of .40, but in the same guns, SIG P226's and P229's, with extra factory .40 barrels, I shoot tighter groups with the 357SIG barrels in the guns than I do with the .40 barrels in the guns.

Its the same for all of them too, not just one gun.
Old December 2, 2009, 11:27 PM   #8
vox rationis

Here's a group that I shot, off hand with an HK USPc in .40S&W at 25 feet using UMC 180 grain practice ammo. I haven't benched the pistol, but with the right ammo I bet it would do pretty well.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old December 2, 2009, 11:36 PM   #9
Sarge

I've got a Glock 23 which apparently didn't get the memo. Discounting shots that I toss, it'll hang right at 2 3/4" at 50 yards (rested)- even with my bulk reloads.
Old December 3, 2009, 12:10 AM   #10
vox rationis

Quote:
Discounting shots that I toss, it'll hang right at 2 3/4" at 50 yards (rested)-
That is pretty impressive. With what ammo?
Old December 3, 2009, 04:06 AM   #11
Jim March

The 40 does seem to have some disadvantages.

It's almost always loaded supersonic. A lot of the loads that work best for personal defense, 155gr or esp. the 135gr don't have a lot of bearing surface (meaning "part of the bullet that actually rubs on the barrel"). A longer bearing surface increases accuracy. And since the cartridge is kinda short for it's length, if the chamber is a bit loose it will allow more "wobble" meaning the bullet doesn't start out pointed quite the same place downrange each shot.

BUT, a tighter chamber can compensate for that, and the heavier weight slugs have both more bearing surface and some of the 180s are subsonic, which helps too.

They're not highly thought of in IPSC circles.

They're almost always plenty accurate for personal defense.
Old December 3, 2009, 05:52 AM   #12
dances with guns

there were serious accuracy problems that initially delayed the 40s&w (it's original name) from reaching the market.

s&w could not get less than 3 foot shot groups with it at 25 yards. of course s&w and winchester resolved the issues.

maybe the current rumors are leftover from the dawn of the 40cal? initial offerings in the caliber weren't as accurate as 9 or 45.

it's still not quite accurate as 45acp or 9mm in a lot of guns. yet other guns shoot it exceptionally well. seems to be a very brand(of pistol) picky cartridge
Old December 3, 2009, 07:07 AM   #13
jontz

Quote:
maybe the current rumors are leftover from the dawn of the 40cal? initial offerings in the caliber weren't as accurate as 9 or 45.
Hadn't thought of that, good point.
Old December 3, 2009, 08:24 AM   #14
Sarge

Smoothbore BB pistols will beat '3 foot at 25 yards'. I don't buy it.

I have also obtained excellent accuracy with OEM Glock .40 chambers measuring 0.433 at the chamber mouth, so large chambers are necessarily accuracy destroyers either.
Old December 3, 2009, 08:37 AM   #15
motorep

"not highly thought of in IPSC circles" ? Limited division is shot almost exclusively with .40's. Yes, capacity is the issue, but I don't hear anyone complaining about the accuracy.
Old December 3, 2009, 09:07 AM   #16
gglass

Obviously the article was written by one of those slimy S&W haters. You know... The ones that typically refer to the cartridge as .40 Short & Wimpy.
Old December 3, 2009, 09:17 AM   #17
johnbt

Have the bullseye shooters discovered the .40 S&W yet? John

From another board, posted in 2006:

"IF .40 S&W were more accurate at 50 yards than .45 ACP bullseye match shooters would be all over it for the "centerfire" leg of 2700 matches. They aren't, so its pretty safe bet that it isn't.

--wally."
Old December 3, 2009, 10:17 AM   #18
SPUSCG

Ive seen some impressive groups shot with .40s. Its accurate. Im not a .40 fan but saying its inaccurate is a stupid claim.
Old December 3, 2009, 10:36 AM   #19
NRAhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim March
They're not highly thought of in IPSC circles.
Wait, what? As was mentioned above, Limited and Limited-10 are shot almost exclusively with guns in .40. You see a lot of .40s in Single Stack as well although it's a little less common there. You can't go to a major USPSA match without tripping over 250 guys with guns chambered in .40.
Old December 3, 2009, 01:04 PM   #20
sheepman

The Glock 22 was the most accurate Glock that I owned (with WWB 180gr) it would out group a 17 and 21 at 25 yd of of sand bags usually 1.5" five shot groups. I currently have a Kahr K40 that shoots very good also. The heavy bullets seem to work better for me. I like the 40 but don't think it is any better or worse than a 9mm or 45 acp any one will work for me.
Old December 3, 2009, 03:24 PM   #21
ldcarson

Just Bought an HK 40c

I have shot just about everything except the .40 and the 10mm. I recently purchased an HK 40c and plan to take it to the range in the next few weeks to see how it does. However, I will say that I find Sig 9mm (239) to be more accurate than my Glock-19, so I tend to think its more about the gun, grip and trigger control and less about the ammo...
Old December 3, 2009, 05:24 PM   #22
CUBAN REDNECK

The majority of PD's in America, as well as the majority of Federal agencies use the .40 cal. It is a powerful and accurate round. I've owned a Glock 22for the last 16 years. I also have a .40 cal FNP and Beretta. It will get the job done.
Old December 3, 2009, 05:37 PM   #23
Departed402

If not .40 then which?

Some of you have said that .40 S&W is, "pretty accurate for self defense". That seems to give the impression that you think another pistol cartridge is more accurate. So...

Without starting a huge malicious debate, which pistol round is most accurate? You may want to list a few of them in the order you like. And if you think's it's .40 S&W please say so. (I know some depends on brand of gun and brand of ammunition. I just want other people's opinion.)
Old December 3, 2009, 05:42 PM   #24
Dragon55

"Without starting a huge malicious debate,....." you say

Too Late.........

.22 I say.
Old December 3, 2009, 05:59 PM   #25
NWPilgrim

Depends on what you mean by "accuracy". For off hand shooting out to 25 yds there seems to be more difference in accuracy between ammo brands/models than cartridges such as 9mm, .40 and .45ACP. Also, the .38 and .45ACP have nearly 100 yds of evolution in firearms which most of includes bullseye competition.

The .40 was designed specifically to meet combat criteria not bullseye competition standards, and the firearms for it have been primarily intended for LEO and defense. Maybe in a hundred years some .40 pistols will evolve to be tuned for better target accuracy. But right now the competitions it is used for favor reliable functioning, capacity and speed over pinpoint accuracy.

The transonic velocities of lighter bullets can also be a factor not experienced in all but the most extreme .45ACP (such as 165 gr). I suspect a 180 gr .40 is just as inherently accurate as a 230 gr .45ACp or 147 gr 9mm all of which have similar sectional densities (therefore approximately the same bearing length) and velocities.

I think the accuracy issue has more to do with the ammo type and firearm used than the cartridge when it cmes to the popular auto pistols. for instance, the .380ACP is not known as being inherently accurate. Light, stubby bullets. But, when fired in a fixed barrel blowback pistol like the Makarov it can easily be more accurate than 99% of recoil operated pistols.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison