The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 18, 2009, 12:07 PM   #1
joehorner

Knoxx Spec Opp Stock (BROKE)

I purchased one of these a few months ago. I could never get a good sight down the barrel without getting smacked in the cheek. Had it out the other day,put a 3" #2 shot in it and wham it broke. The spring in the pistol grip let go. The stock covered about half of the trigger guard hole? Now it just slides back and forth freely. Needless to say it is going back to Cabelas. I used it on a Mossberg 500A. I am on the fence about getting another pistol grip stock. I will switch the wood out when I go trap shooting,but would like to replace the knoxx with something that has a better comb for looking down the barrel for HD. Any sugestions???? Joe
Old June 18, 2009, 12:14 PM   #2
oneounceload

If your wood stock works well, why not stay with it? It seems the Knoxx stock did not fit you properly - that explains the cheek bashing. If your wood stock allows you to do well at trap shooting, I'd leave it be....JMO
Old June 18, 2009, 01:11 PM   #3
RoscoeC

On my Knoxx Spec Ops, I discovered that if I lengthened the stock the bell would stop smacking my cheek.

Your assessment of the cheek weld on the spec ops is correct. It does not lend itself to this very well. I have plenty of extra padding on my cheeks, so I have learned to make it work for me.

I have not had any problems with mine through several thousand rounds.

With all that said, I would not buy another one. In fact, I have configured another 870 and I put the Remington Police wood stock on it with the limbsaver recoil pad.

The only reason I would ever recommend one is if someone is extremely recoil sensitive. It does do an admirable job on mitigating recoil. However, there is definitely a learning curve that goes along with it and I'm not sure the advantages vs. disadvantages are not just about a wash.
NRA Life Member
Old June 18, 2009, 02:27 PM   #4
Technosavant

I had my SpecOps stock let go in exactly that fashion at about skeet station 5. I finished the round- was awfully entertaining, holding forward with the fore end while mashing the trigger with my right, racking the slide, then doing it again. I still cleared station 7 (got the doubles!).

Yeah, annoying, but if it's mashing you in the face, your face is too close; I keep mine extended almost fully on my 870. It isn't for everybody, but it does tame the recoil quite a bit.