The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 17, 2007, 08:05 AM   #1
870pilot

Lee Classic Turret Allows Me To...

attend a couple of combat training classes next month since the cheapest .45 acp i can buy around here is $14 and since one class required 300 and other 600 rounds ($252) that was the difference between going and staying home

all by buying Berry's bullets from Cabelas, local primer and powder and brass from BrassmanBrass...

i can get an honest 145 rounds loaded per hour and that takes into account if the auto-prime hiccups... every once in a while the primers just don't make the cup and fall into my waiting hand and then it's perfect for another long run of primers.

knock on wood, the timing on my press is flawless, the powder charge consistent and overall, red is my fave color

so thanks to Lee!

and not that a lot of blue camp fans would read this post, but i wonder what a dillon square deal could do cartridge per hour? an honest CPR...

all i load for handgun is .45 i must be the only guy that loads for one handgun caliber but then i only load .223 as well...
Old September 17, 2007, 04:22 PM   #2
CrustyFN

I have a Classic Turret also. I have had it close to a year and it hasn't let me down yet. I load 9mm and 223.
Rusty
Old September 17, 2007, 11:09 PM   #3
firechicken

I've had my Classic Turret Press for a couple months now. Once I get it going, I can do an honest 180 rounds of 45 ACP per hour without rushing. I loaded on a single stage RCBS for years. When I started shooting handguns more often, I just couldn't keep up. The Classic Turret is a nice compromise between the single stage and progressive. Increase in speed with attention to detail in each operation in the loading process.
Old September 18, 2007, 12:56 AM   #4
fourrobert13

I load on a Classic Cast turret myself. I only load 9mm on it. I can get 150 to 175 rounds per hour on it or some where in the middle of that. I love it. My brother uses a Dillon Square Deal B and it's currently at Dillon because it stopped indexing, but when it was running, he would load 300 to 400 rounds per hour. Really and truely, it all boils down to what one person likes.
Old September 18, 2007, 09:06 AM   #5
Sevens

Quote:
and not that a lot of blue camp fans would read this post
Not sure why you said this... If you like your red, that's cool--others like their stuff, in the end we are all reloading and shooting, seems like that'd be more than enough for us to get along!

All my stuff is Lee except for my powder measure which is Hornady.

Honestly, it doesn't seem like there are a lot of Dillon users who post regularly in this forum, or if there are, they don't think it matters enough to pimp their color.

If I had the money, I wouldn't buy a Dillon--because then I'd need to FEED it, and then I'd have so much ammo that I'd shoot it all up! But if someone came to me and wanted advice for the fastest and best for the cash, I'd probably direct them to Dillon.

I tell you what I'd like to have... a 5 or 6x single stage. I prefer to do all my operations at one time... all my sizing, all my priming, all my seating, etc. But to be able to do 5 or 6 cases with the same single ram stroke would be terrific. Of course, I'd need 5 or 6 dies of each caliber, which is nuts... but really, I do prefer the single stage. Hell, even if it was just the resizing stage... being able to do 5 cases with one stroke would be a big help.
Old September 18, 2007, 10:34 AM   #6
Dogbuster

Hey I'd like to ask you Lee Classic Turret guys a question . Have you loaded small rifle cases like a 223 or 22Hornet on it and what kind of bullet run-out do you get . Do you use any Lee collet neck sizing dies of factory crimp dies with it and how do they work with the turret press.

thanks
Old September 18, 2007, 10:56 AM   #7
rwilson452

That's not how a progressive works. you use a single set of dies for each chambering you load. The case rotates to each station ( die or hole if you prefer). For instance is a five position press the first hole has the decapping/sizeing die the second station primes. for a pistol the next station will expand the mouth and drop powder the next one seats the bullet and perhaps crimps. the next station ( optional ) crimps. then it dumps it out of the press. you get one completed round for each pull of the handle. Ususally the shell plate rotates either by hand ( dillon 550) or automaticly Dillon 650, Lee turret and loadmaster etc. SO with a 5 hole press the first 5 pulls you get nothing then they pop out with each pull of the handle. trying to size 5 cases at once wouldn't work well. As you can see to do rifle you would need to buy another "die" to drop powder and have a powder measure compatable with that die. Priming methodology varies by press.

I tell you what I'd like to have... a 5 or 6x single stage. I prefer to do all my operations at one time... all my sizing, all my priming, all my seating, etc. But to be able to do 5 or 6 cases with the same single ram stroke would be terrific. Of course, I'd need 5 or 6 dies of each caliber, which is nuts... but really, I do prefer the single stage. Hell, even if it was just the resizing stage... being able to do 5 cases with one stroke would be a big help.
Old September 18, 2007, 11:52 AM   #8
Gewehr98

Makes me wonder, too...

Quote:
and not that a lot of blue camp fans would read this post, but i wonder what a dillon square deal could do cartridge per hour? an honest CPR...
As an owner of a Dillon Square Deal B, a Dillon RL-550, a Hornady 007, and ancient Lee turret, and an even older C&H Linear 4-stage, I also am curious about what prompted the above jab.

Regardless, I am never in any competition to see how many rounds per hour I could crank out, and I never will be. My rate of ammo production is precisely tuned to the amount of quality ammo I wish to make per session - no slower, and no faster.

I'm starting to believe that folks with progressive presses trying to prove something with their rounds/hour counts are an accident waiting to happen.

Neural Misfires
Old September 18, 2007, 12:13 PM   #9
Sevens

rwilson452: Yeah, I know, man! I know how a progressive works, I used to load all my skeet ammo on a Mec-650. (still have it, just don't shoot skeet these days and haven't loaded shotshells in years)

I was just making a statement that I have no burning desire to move to a progressive or even a turret press because I enjoy the operation much more (and feel better about the process) when I'm doing just one step over a whole run of cases, usually 20, 50 or 100 at a time.

What I meant was that it would be nice if I could resize five cases with a single stroke of the lever, but yeah, I realize that nobody makes a press designed to work in that manner. And as I said, I would need five sizing dies.

If I shot action pistol or something of that nature, I'd have to go progressive. But for the shooting that I enjoy, single stage is perfect for me.
Old September 18, 2007, 12:35 PM   #10
rwilson452

Ah, but I do it both ways. Got a single stage for rifle and a progressive for pistol. In pistol I shoot mostly combat action type stuff. I ain't good enough with a pistol to shoot bullseye anyway.
Old September 18, 2007, 05:09 PM   #11
CrustyFN

Quote:
I'm starting to believe that folks with progressive presses trying to prove something with their rounds/hour counts are an accident waiting to happen.
I couldn't agree more. I Have never timed myself on rounds per hour. I sit down with a number in mind and when they are done then I am done. The CT loads fast enough to keep up with my ammo needs, if not I would buy a press that could. I enjoy my reloading time and am not in a hurry to get it done. Thats probably why I still trim with the Lee trimmer and remove primer crimps with a drill.
Rusty
Old September 18, 2007, 06:19 PM   #12
P-990

Quote:
Good point.

I've loaded single-stage, with the Lee turrets and a Lee Pro-1000. Honestly, for handgun ammo, I far and away prefer the progressive. An honest 300-rounds an hour, and it's usually more accurate than whatever cheap factory ammo I was using. *cough* WWB 9mm *cough*

But then again, I'm lazy, and like only having to load a couple of nights a week for a month's supply of ammo!

Of course, I guess the point of this is that the Lee stuff works just fine and is affordable. When I'm ready to skip buying another gun, I'll buy a Dillon 650 and really crank out some rounds! Until then, I'll keep the Pro 1000 for pistol rounds and odd .223 loading and use a single stage for 99% of rifle ammo.
Old September 18, 2007, 11:43 PM   #13
rg1

I've got 3 "Green Machines" with a red Forster Co-Ax in the middle. Here's a good review by a fellow reloader using the Lee Classic Turret press:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...ress/index.asp
Old September 19, 2007, 01:57 PM   #14
870pilot

"Honestly, it doesn't seem like there are a lot of Dillon users who post regularly in this forum, or if there are, they don't think it matters enough to pimp their color."

That's why i wrote this...

"and not that a lot of blue camp fans would read this post, but i wonder what a dillon square deal could do cartridge per hour? an honest CPR"

same sentiment in some ways... and i guess i have a bit of an attitude from a couple of pro-dillon fans that thought Lee wasn't worth more than a boat anchor and weren't shy about it...

it's the age old ford v. chevy thing... i could care less about color, i just (and have) a super reliable press that is almost fun to operate and the Dillon Square Deal has caught my eye on occasion...

not trying to jab anyone, as i've ducked a few jabs myself

thanks for the input and i agree... a buck fifty an hour is a great pace for me with my Lee, speed records in reloading is foolhardy, but some machines just make more per hour
Old September 19, 2007, 02:25 PM   #15
cpaspr

Personally, I load on a pair of RCBS single-stage presses. But the first .45 ACP reloads I got were on a friend's Dillon 650. I kept the primer tubes loaded, and he cranked the handle leisurely as we chatted. We ran out of my500 rounds of brass right on the first hour mark.

Please note that I'm not a "slow and single-stage is better" person. It's just what I could afford at the time. Some day, I'm hoping to move up to at least a turret press, for for now what I have beats nothin' by a long shot.
Old September 21, 2007, 05:49 PM   #16
Frenchwrench

I've loaded on the Lee Cast Turret for the past year and a half, great unit. But I found a used Dillon 550b with extras, so I jumped on it. The only plus is One pull one bullet , instead of four pulls one bullet. Both are great machines, but the Dillon is like Homer Price's Doughnut Machine.
Old September 25, 2007, 10:18 AM   #17
natlmatch

I've read that turret presses (in particular the Loadmaster) aren't as accurate as a single stage press. Can anyone please expound some knowledge on this?

Regards,

NM
Old September 25, 2007, 10:46 AM   #18
Uncle Don

Actually, the absense of the press fighting wars is why I like this forum. People are happy with thier choices and don't find the need to take shots at the other. It should apply to both camps.
Old September 25, 2007, 11:10 PM   #19
LubeckTech

I use my 3 hole turret press in a slightly different fashion than most people and get about 150 QUALITY rounds per hour. I removed the auto index feature and rotate it by hand because I use it as a single stage setup to size & decap. Then it stays single stage to prime with the Lee auto prime 2 which is a press mounted tool that primes quickly and easily - much better than hand priming tools. Since it seats on the upstroke I have great control of the seating depth so I don't have hangups in my revolvers due to a slightly high primer. I always felt that downstroke priming was slow and a pain in the rump. With the brass sized and primed I use the press as a turret rotating it by hand to flair the case and charge with the Lee disk powder measure then seat the bullet then factory crimp. Getting it to index correctly after using it as a single stage was always such a pain for me I removed the nylon piece and found I could move it manually as fast it moved it's self with a lot less fustration. The factory crimp die produces a great crimp and post sizes the case so every case chambers every time without fail!
Old September 26, 2007, 05:18 PM   #20
CrustyFN

Uncle Don, good to see you here on TFL.
Rusty
Old September 28, 2007, 08:12 AM   #21
G&G

Some of the guys I shoot IDPA with reload with Dillon. I couldn't afford that jump so I got a Lee Classic Turret as a first time reloader. I only reload for myself so speed isn't an issue for me. A lot of people stop their microwave with 10 seconds left because they're always in a hurry. I have enough anxiety from life. My quiet time on my reloader is therapeutic.

If you love Dillon, that's great. My Lee works for me and I'm content with it.
Old January 10, 2008, 04:46 AM   #22
ldv444

BLUE FAN-Whatever Fan

ALL- Ford,Chevy,Dodge.....whatever you like to get you down the road. Same with reloading equipment....whatever you think fits your needs the most. I choose Dillion because my reloading mentor had twenty years experience with his 550 and it has been great and their reputation for customer service. In reading multiple forums, I have found that more people complain about Lee quality than the other brands. It also seems like the folks who like Lee always say something about cost. Well, if you have to constantly fix stuff and work on things to get them to work, then you are out more money in the long run. I have a good buddy who has a lee progressive press and he constantly is replacing the plastic parts. Maybe he's a monkey with a hammer, or maybe there is a consistent problem with the equipment. Seems like I've read this several times before on multiple forums. But, like I said in the beginning-if your Lee stuff works...fantastic! I don't care what truck you drive....as long as it has a NRA sticker on the back and you remember your gun freedoms at the voting booth!! Everybody-keep shooting and sharing reloading ideas! Be safe and good luck to everyone!
Old January 11, 2008, 09:33 PM   #23
Vitamin G

I'm also a big fan of the lee turret. At a relaxed pace, i get roughly the same number of rounds i would get rushing with my single stage, and I feel a little better quality since i don't have to actually change the whole die out all the time. Of course the Dillons and Hornadays will chuck out more ammo in less time, but on the Quantity-to-Price continuum, this is the press for me

Everyone has a perfect press for them, its just a matter of where they fall on the continuum. Its like comparing an Anshutz custom olympic level target package, to a stock 10/22 with bulk ammo. Both will get a job done, it just depends what job you want it to do, and what you want to spend doing it