The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old September 6, 2004, 02:41 AM   #1
GUTTERbOY

No quote feature?

On the other forums I frequent, in each post there is button which automatically lets you reply with that particular post's text displayed as a quote. Now, I can copy-paste and manually stick it in the [quote] tags, but it's easier and nicer with the button to use, especially since it usually includes the name of the quoted individual. I find that quoting makes it easier to respond to cetain points in a discussion.

Is there actually a button for that here that I'm not seeing? If not could this feature be enabled?

Thanks for the time- good to see TFL back up again. This place is responsible for a large portion of my firearms education.
Old September 6, 2004, 03:23 AM   #2
tyme
Staff

The quote button tends to lead to over-quoting.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old September 6, 2004, 11:12 AM   #3
Quartus

I hang out on a board that uses it, and it's gaggingly common to have someone hit the quote button on a looooooonnng post just to add one comment.

Usually a "me too!". :barf:

I'm glad it's not used here, though I do appreciate it's usefulness. But you can do the same thing with just a few steps. Just highlight the post, hit "Reply", paste it in, then, while it's still hightlighted, hit the "Quote" button. (THat's the text box looking thingy - the rightmost of the formatting buttons if you are in Enhanced mode.

Now please edit the quote so you are only responding to the salient points!

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old September 6, 2004, 12:08 PM   #4
GUTTERbOY

All excellent points, I must admit. I didn't even think of it beyond my own inconvenience, you know, having to CTRL-C and CTRL-V and such... way too much work!

Good to go!

"If guns cause crime, all mine are defective" -Ted Nugent
Old September 7, 2004, 09:02 AM   #5
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTTERbOY
especially since it usually includes the name of the quoted individual.
You can add the name of the quoted member by making your first quote look like this: {quote=GUTTERbOY} and it'll look just like it does above.
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old September 7, 2004, 11:21 AM   #6
Quartus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTTERbOY
especially since it usually includes the name of the quoted individual. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluesMan
You can add the name of the quoted member by making your first quote look like this: {quote=GUTTERbOY} and it'll look just like it does above.

Which is especially helpful if you are quoting several people so you can tell them ALL why they're wrong!

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old September 7, 2004, 12:04 PM   #7
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartus
I hang out on a board that uses it, and it's gaggingly common to have someone hit the quote button on a looooooonnng post just to add one comment.

Usually a "me too!". :barf:

I'm glad it's not used here, though I do appreciate it's usefulness. But you can do the same thing with just a few steps. Just highlight the post, hit "Reply", paste it in, then, while it's still hightlighted, hit the "Quote" button. (THat's the text box looking thingy - the rightmost of the formatting buttons if you are in Enhanced mode.

Now please edit the quote so you are only responding to the salient points!
Me too!
Old September 7, 2004, 01:08 PM   #8
Quartus