The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 3, 2010, 08:18 PM   #76
Abel

If you compare a used 336, that can easily be had for 350 or less if you search, to one of these new Mossbergs, you'll realize quickly that there is no comparison. The Mossberg is junkie, on all levels.
Old February 4, 2010, 02:07 AM   #77
olyinaz

I'd still like to hear more from those who actually HAVE one of these rifles.

Oly
Old April 2, 2010, 09:05 AM   #78
shaken1204

I just bought a Mossberg 472 from a retired couple yesterday. These were only made from '72 to '78. Talk about a well made gun. This thing is tighter than the marlin 336 sitting in the rack at academy sports. My buddy has a 336 with scope and sling and after he took a look at my 472 without anything on it, he wanted to trade his full package for my 472. NO WAY! This baby is made the way guns USED TO be made. Great walnut stock and solid action. You won't find many of these out there.
Old April 21, 2010, 05:01 PM   #79
dgludwig

Sounds like the ones I was looking at (see post no.6). I'm glad you like yours.
Old April 21, 2010, 05:26 PM   #80
ohen cepel

I have handled a few of the Mossbergs and liked them just fine except for the safety design. It's not a bad design, I just didn't like it.

Fit and finish were good for the money. I would consider buying one if I was in the market and the price was right.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old April 21, 2010, 06:13 PM   #81
cje1980

Boy is this an old thread.
Old May 6, 2010, 10:20 PM   #82
goredsox

true dat... I happened by and was floored to see recent posts to the thread... meanwhile, my 464 is still doing fine :-)
Old May 18, 2010, 06:21 PM   #83
Noah Zark

Regarding the question of the Winchester 94 receiver metal from 1964 to the early 80s, Model 94 receivers were not cast, but made from sintered compacted powdered metal. These receivers cannot be successfully reblued via conventional methods, as the sintered P/M receivers are porous -- they have approximately 10% to 14% porosity due to the interstitial space between adjacent iron powder particles. The receiver acts like a sponge and absorbs blueing bath chemicals which later leach out of the porous receiver and ruin the finish. Winchester would seal the porosity with sodium silicate and then electroplate the sealed receiver with iron in order to take the Winchester factory finish of the time period.

The sodium silicate sealing process was inconsistent and of varying effectiveness. If any residual porosity was left in the sintered P/M receiver, then the blueing bath would be absorbed and later leach out. It was not uncommon to unpack a new Win 94 from the 60s and 70s and find gray streaks or rusty streaks or spots in the blueing on the receiver. Gunsmiths went nuts trying to get their hot blue to "take" on a 1964-1982 Win 94 receiver, and most 'smiths gave up and refused to refinish W94s. A few 'smiths took to using oven-cured or anerobically-cured methacrylate resin to seal residual porosity, and this process was fairly successful at holding out blueing chemicals.

Winchester abandoned the sintered powdered metal receiver in 1982 (or maybe 1981 for the 1982 model year, I can't recall) about the time the 1894 Big Bore was introduced, and went back to forged receivers.

Source? Direct experience in the P/M industry and two personal friends who were "present at the creation" for the P/M W94 receiver in the early 1960s.

Noah
Old May 18, 2010, 06:54 PM   #84
OJ

Quote:
olyinaz I'd still like to hear more from those who actually HAVE one of these rifles.

Oly
Quote:
It might be a good idea to read previous posts before writing such -

I make no claim to being an expert but, I got my first rifle for my 6th birthday in 1932 and, being a retired surgeon, am able to shoot at the range every week now so I think I have had enough experience to judge rifles like the 464.

As I stated in my post on this thread, there were several threads on the Levergun.com forum with 99% reporting failures in the first few rounds fired and not just speculation as you allege. The only one reporting otherwise eventually came to the conclusion he was wrong in his conclusion the 464 wasn't as bad as described by other users-shooters.

Here's what a search there produced:Search found 345 matches

Search term used: mossberg 464

Most gun manufacturers test fire their guns before putting them on the market. The fact the Mossberg 464 has failed in as little as only one shot suggests there was no test fire program at Mossberg for the 464. As I reported on my previous post on this thread, I haven't even gone through a box of 20 rounds and nave had two part failures. If it were an automobile, there would have been a massive recall - even Ruger has experienced that - and it was done at the manufacturer's expense.

Not so here - I'm certain Mossberg is well aware of the problems with 464 parts failing - costing customers money to get their guns fixed - but they seem to be turning a deaf ear and ignoring customers - which they have done in the past. Mossberg has no conscience and is ignoring potential injury and lawsuits from injured customers.

My concern is, if there are so many early failures of parts, what are the odds the next part to fail could be the locking mechanism of the bolt or even the bolt which could produce a devastating injury to the shooter??

Personally, I'm not willing to take that chance. So now I have a gun I'm afraid to shoot and certainly won't take the chance of selling - or even giving it away.
Read previous posts - there's no shortage of either experienced shooters with the 464 - as well as threads on lever gun forums - should be enough owners to satisfy anyone.
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old May 18, 2010, 09:42 PM   #85
moosemike

Quote:
Personally, I'm not willing to take that chance. So now I have a gun I'm afraid to shoot and certainly won't take the chance of selling - or even giving it away.

Please reconsider and give it to me. I'll even pay the shipping.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:42 PM   #86
OJ

Quote:
moosemike

Please reconsider and give it to me. I'll even pay the shipping.
I know that sounds tempting but, I know what I'd think of someone who sold or even gave me that rotten piece of junk and I don't want any one thinking that about me every time he looked at or tried to shoot that gun - a man's gotta draw the line somewhere and have his pride, you know -
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old September 27, 2012, 09:06 PM   #87
goredsox

I'd not bump this thread, except that it involved catalog of firsthand experience with the 464. I've now had my 464 for 2yrs beyond the last post. Another couple hundred rounds in both range and field use and I've still not experienced a failure of any variety. In fact, I asked my local gun store (where I purchased) and he's sold plenty with no returns per defects or malfunction.

I've since moved beyond the Hornady Leverevolution ammo and currently fire Winchester Supreme Silver (Round Nose) Ballistic Tip. I made the switch because the terminal performance of the LeverEvolution was not conclusive as I've had with the CT bullets.
Old September 29, 2012, 10:01 AM   #88
Cary

Thanks for the update on your Mossberg 464. I like lever guns and the fact that another company is manufacturing one after the demise of the M94. I know Winchester is offering them again but the price is quite high for them.
Cary
Old October 2, 2012, 08:35 PM   #89
rallyhound

I've got a short review here

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=619321

Free" men do not ask permission to bear arms.
Old October 4, 2012, 08:35 PM   #90
wicat3

I have a 464 with a gray laminate stock and found it to be a good gun. I like the saftey on top of the stock as well as the grip safty that is on the lever. It shoots well and for 20 bucks I was able to order a scope off of mossberg for a 3x40 scope.

I have liked mossberg products for so many reasons. I know everyone has an opion and some people think a cheap gun is a bad gun but for me I cant afford all the big priced guns out there so I work with what I can afford. My 464 is my second brand new gun and has not dissappointed me yet.
Old October 4, 2012, 09:50 PM   #91
gaseousclay

does Mossberg make the 464 in a .22 caliber?
Old October 4, 2012, 11:19 PM   #92
tahunua001

yes they do, I'm not sure if the standard 646 does or not but I know that ugly tacticool 646 with M4 stock does.