The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 28, 2010, 06:37 PM   #1
l98ster

CCW in Westchester County NY?

I have had my pistol permit in Westchester county NY for quite some time. It was issued to me with the restrictions of hunting and target. Westchester County citizens are not issued CCW at all, unless it is for business purposes, and even that is almost immposible to get.

With the new Supreme Court ruling, will Westchester County be required to issued CCW permits if applied for?

For those of you who dont know, westchester will not issue CCW permits, but all the other surrounding counties do. People who live in other counties can legally carry in westchester, but the actual residents of westchester cannot.

-George
Old June 28, 2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Zhe Wiz

I have the exact same stupidity in Tompkins county. When I submitted my app, before anyone looked at anything, I was told that I would get a target and hunting restricted permit. I'm hoping that sometime this decade that restriction will be removed. We'll see.

Zhe Wiz
Old June 28, 2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

It's unlikely to change automatically. It will probably take litigation. I'd be surprised if now, following the favorable ruling in McDonald, New York RKBA organizations aren't already planning lawsuits to deal with the NYS and NYC situations.
Old June 28, 2010, 07:45 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

My ex-father in law was a city judge in White Plains and it was difficult even for him to get a CCW.

That said, I sincerely doubt if it will chance much of anything in those areas where concealed carry is virtually impossible -- many parts of California, New York, Hawaii, New Jersey...

The ruling says nothing about prohibiting CCW as how it relates to the Court's incorporation of the Second Amendment at the state and local levels.

Such changes will have to happen as they have happened elsewhere in the US over the past 20 or so years -- by action of state legislatures.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 28, 2010, 08:08 PM   #5
sparky07

I bet you would have to push through the courts

I live in putnam and I am betting that Westchester will not move until someone tries to push the issue in court. As we know, this could take years.

You know.. this is a great question for the NRA-ILA and NYSRPA.
(http://nysrpa.org/) to see what they think on this one.

From what I understand from what I have read so far. The court decision is a statement for the Home and not any further past that.

Maybe Castle will come back to NY now.

Very good question
Old June 28, 2010, 08:09 PM   #6
l98ster

From what I understand, this ruling is states have to allow citizens the right to protect themselves with a handgun if they so choose.

Is this ruling limited to only in your home, or can we now defend ourselves outside the home as well? If the later is true, I should be able to ammend my permit to allow me to CCW.

Maybe I am not understanding the ruling properly?

-George
Old June 29, 2010, 05:15 AM   #7
K80Geoff

I do not see this ruling changing anything in the third world Country that NY has become. The laws allow you to obtain a permit to own a handgun and take it to the range to shoot. You can even hunt with handguns with the proper license. Just do not expect to get a CCW endorsement unless you live in a rural upstate county and went to school with the local Judge, or are a high profile celebrity with "Gonnections"

So the basic premise of McDonald is met, you can have a handgun in your home for self defense. After you jump through hoops, submit to intrusive and demeaning application procedures, and wait the proper time for TPTB to process your application.

Even in draconian NYC, you can still obtain a permit to own a handgun in your home.

There are several RKBA organizations in NY State, but they spend more time infighting with each other than actually doing much that is positive.

But that is the nature of the state and will probably not change.
Old July 3, 2010, 07:34 PM   #8
Garybock

CCW

I am in Rochester, NY and when I applied for a CCW permit the County Clerk told me the only way I could get a CCW was if I put down personal protection as a reason for wanting a permit. Both my wife and I now have our CCWs. But I can not order ammo via mail order.
Old June 13, 2013, 10:19 AM   #9
FuzzyWuzzy

Westchester County is trying too hard to be like NYC

I too am in the process of moving to Westchester County and am interested in obtaining a carry permit for the purposes of target shooting at an NRA certified range. You need to obtain the proper forms from the Westchester County Clerk, located in White Plains, or from their website (Google Search will help you find it) and fill it out with a small fee and mail it to them. If you're squeaky clean and don't have any convictions or felonies, I see no reason why they'd deny you a pistol permit. They will call you in for an interview asking you to justify your desire to possess a handgun (as if the 2nd amendment isn't self explanatory but I am preaching to the choir here), but this is NY we're dealing with and according to the liberal who run this state, guns are evil possessed objects that magically wake up one day and go on shooting sprees. (note extreme sarcasm ). The biggest challenge I find in the license application process is finding those 4 references to vouch for your good moral character who are NOT anti-gun, like the ones who helped to pass the unconstitutional NY SAFE Act, to sign off on the form.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; June 13, 2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: political invective.