The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 12, 2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Slugo

Big Jim, what choke combos...

are you shooting these days!?! For sporting, I used SK/IC for many years. Then I moved to tighter combos like LM/M. Now opening up again at IC/LM. I hate changing chokes and am always looking for that right combination that will break 95% of the targets, as long as I do my part. I'm specifically talking sporting clays, not trap or skeet...
Old November 12, 2013, 08:29 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

All depends on where you shoot Slugo - but where I shoot, IC/LM is a good combo to start but you should also carry an IM for that one or two stations where the distance gets a tad further out
Old November 12, 2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Slugo

you are correct, sir. I carry a M/IM combo in my jacket pocket, just in case...

Last edited by Slugo; November 12, 2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old November 13, 2013, 12:01 PM   #4
BigJimP

Every course in my area is a little different....but IC / Mod is usually what I start with ....and on a sporting course I'll shoot a shell with 1 oz of 8's at 1225 fps ....90% of the time....( 12 ga) ...../ if I want to shoot a 20ga for some reason I'll go with 7/8 oz of 8's at 1225 fps most of the time.

I will carry 5 boxes of 1 oz of 8's / 1 box of 1 oz of 9's / 1 box of 7 1/2's ....on my rugged gear cart...( for a 100 bird event )...

and I will switch chokes from station to station - if the targets change significantly .....so I do carry a pair of Skeet, pair of IC, pair of Mod, one Imp Mod and 1 Full....( in a plastic fishing lure box )...in my vest back pocket....
---------------------
the casual weekend tournaments ...tend to be set pretty easy ( low 70's for a class C shooter )..../ as we get closer to state tournament time...they get tougher.../ and you'll need an Imp Mod or a Full choke once in a while on those really long crossers ( 50 yds or so )...and sometimes you only get a limited view of them as they go thru the undergrowth and brush or thru the trees...

so it really depends....
Old November 13, 2013, 03:33 PM   #5
Slugo

thanks, buddy. Always nice to know what other shooters are doing...
Old November 13, 2013, 03:37 PM   #6
BigJimP

Anytime.../ stay well !