The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 25, 2012, 11:58 AM   #1
tbogart

Another noob question.......

New to reloading, have done about 200 no problems loading and firing. Got an order of 380ACP from Precision Delta that included 10 or 12 what appear to be steel casings. Have heard that steel should not be reloaded. Anyway, reloaded 2 with no problem. Should I fire them or dismantle and toss them?
Old June 25, 2012, 12:30 PM   #2
tkglazie

Quote:
Should I fire them or dismantle and toss them?
My general rule of thumb is always "when it doubt, throw it out" (in this case, salvage the bullet/powder by pulling the cartridge apart of course).

You would probably be fine shooting them, but why bother. You only have 2 and they arent going to group the same as your brass cased cartridges anyway so I would just salvage the bullet and if possible, the powder. Shoot the now empty case in your gun (safe direction of course) to kill the primers and then toss the cases is my recommendation.
Old June 25, 2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Edward429451

First you should be sure that they are steel. Do they stick to a magnet? The only harm to reload these is to your dies. I'm not saying to reload them because you should be nice to your dies. Any that you have loaded can be shot without worry.
Old June 25, 2012, 04:56 PM   #4
serf 'rett

Are you sure the cases aren't nickel plated?
Old June 25, 2012, 06:21 PM   #5
dacaur

+1 on magnet test, (wont work with aluminum though) If you dont have a magnet handy, are they silver or grey? Silver would be nickle plated brass, a shiny or dull dark grey is steel, a dull light grey would be aluminum. Either one of the last two should go in the trash IMO... Well, the aluminum ones go in with the cans after being decapped.
Old June 25, 2012, 06:55 PM   #6
marklyftogt

Probably nickel but I have seen nickel be a little more brittle. They always seem like the ones to split first. Toss 'e./
Old June 25, 2012, 09:28 PM   #7
tbogart

Thanks for the input and advice. Into the trash they go.
Old June 25, 2012, 10:05 PM   #8
Misssissippi Dave

There is one good use for steel or alum. cases in reloading. They make good dummy loads. You can load up the bullet without a primer. You can also glue in a chunk of eraser in the primer pocket. It is good for those times when you are trying to teach someone about proper trigger control.

The end of ammo as we know it would have to happen before I would reload Steel or Alum cases for live ammo.
Old June 25, 2012, 10:11 PM   #9
farmerboy

I wouldn't load steel, my dies are more expensive than those cases.