The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 9, 2011, 06:07 PM   #26
serf 'rett

Careful use of politics helped me aquire two full size pistols. It's the only good thing Prez O has done for me. Shortly afterward I got a concealed carry permit. One night, as I was cleaning after a range trip, my wife looked at my full size pistols and asked, "Aren't those too big to carry concealed?"

"Well, yes, they are a little large; I've been thinking I may need something smaller." A small, slick 9mm was purchased within days.

I don't have a clue how I'm going to add the much desired 1911 to the herd. It going to be a challenge because I started reloading a few months ago.
Old August 9, 2011, 09:40 PM   #27
Mercenary

Get a credit card from a reputable company that offers no interest for 12 months

OR

A lot of gun shops have layaway plans; usually 10-20% down and then 90 days same as cash.

Just some suggestions.

P.S. I think budsgunshop.com has a financing option.
Old August 10, 2011, 03:49 PM   #28
Daryl

I don't think I can be much help here.

I recently had to argue it out to convince my wife to let me SELL a handgun to cover some expenses we've encountered.

Yes, I love my wife, and sometimes sacrifices must be made to make ends meet. Guns are replaceable, a good wife usually isn't.

Daryl
Old August 11, 2011, 08:16 AM   #29
bikerbill

The secret word is "shoes." Often you can trade off by letting her get something she wants and then get your gun.

I don't have that problem; my wife and I take an allowance each month from our joint income and spend it however we want. If I want a new gun, I just save up my allowance until I have enough to get what I want. If you think your wife is going to dig in her heels, I'd start saving but put the discussion off for a while as you work on her feelings about firearms and spending money.

A caveat ... guns are addictive; I have a dozen or so handguns (a small collection for many here) and a list of others I want to buy ...

Good luck ...
Old August 11, 2011, 10:22 AM   #30
shortwave

Quote:
The secret word is "shoes."
later wrote:

Quote:
If you think your wife is going to dig in her heels...
Solution would be to buy your wife shoes without heels.
Old August 11, 2011, 10:32 AM   #31
egor20

Quote:
The secret word is "shoes." Often you can trade off by letting her get something she wants and then get your gun.
I tend to reminder her how many boots she's bought.
Works every time.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old August 11, 2011, 03:58 PM   #32
postmaster

inflation!! saving, investment!!

Tell the wife that guns increase in value, therefore you are protecting your savings!! IT is money in the bank!! Therefore it is an investment in your future.
Old August 11, 2011, 04:08 PM   #33
markj

Buy one of them pink framed guns and tell her it reminded you of her and every time you hold it you think of her............
Old August 12, 2011, 08:57 AM   #34
D-Ric902

My wife and I made a deal when we got married.
The tax check is hers and the bonus check is mine.

In all actuality she does not mind me spending on guns, she trusts me not to put us in a bad financial situation and she says "At least your not spending it on drugs , boose or women"

At the same time, she carries the checkbooks and I'm gone a lot so I trust her not to put us in a bad situation either.
So far (10 years) we have never had a problem. But I do remember that after the last debate between McCain and Obama just before the election in '08 I looked at her and said "I am going to put us in debt at the gun shop" and she said "Maybe you should"
Gotta love that woman

Tags
92fs , convincing , p238 , tips , wife