The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 14, 2010, 04:34 PM   #1
ClemBert

Largest conical/powder combination for a Walker?

Curious to know how many of y'all shoot conicals out of your Walker. What's the largest conical/powder combination you've used and what were the results?

Weight of conical and type of powder/charge used please.
Old September 15, 2010, 08:54 AM   #2
andrewstorm

tall tale

see able ammo's customer review of a walker,he says his load is superior to the factory 44 mag load,dang gotta get me one a them horse pistols
Old September 15, 2010, 09:09 AM   #3
ClemBert

From Able Ammo customer comments:

I have a very early edition of this weapon. I cast a 235 grain Lee 44 caliber bullet and load with 65 grains of Pyrodex P. This is ballastically superior to a .44 Magnum lead bullet factory load at 1355 FPS muzzle velocity. Yes, it leads the bore, but I can put 6 into 3" at 50 yards with the notched hammer sights.

I was hit-and run in '03 and I shot the driver and his passenger while fleeing. I shot the passenger at about 45 yards though the right hip. The bullet shattered his hip, and the exit wound in the front was about 2" in diameter with pieces of hip bone causing additional trauma.
The driver turned back towards me, and I fired one round aimed at his aorta, but shot a bit high. It travel thru his chest and exited his shoulder blade leaving about a 3" exit wound. Both dropped like they had been pole-axed. I had two deputy sherriffs witness the incident. Both are still in prison. The Whitneyville Colt's Pattern revolver is big and heavy, but I've fired hundreds of rounds thru it and it hasn't loosened up. Just the apperence of this cannon is enough to scare off most of my attempted burgalers at my house. The report and ball of fire from the muzzle also must be frightening from the "business end". I highly reccommend this piece.(And YES, I am distantly related to Wyatt and his brothers, 4th cousins.)

I've seen this person's review and commentary before. Most of it I find hilarious if not flat out comical. I'm having a hard time believing any of it. Starting off, I'm really not very confident that one could fit both a conical and 65 grains of powder into a Walker.

You are right Andrew....you need to get a Walker!
Old September 15, 2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Andy Griffith

I'd venture to say that with some Goex Express or Swiss will be the fastest loads with real black powder. A cylinder full of Triple7 in FFF and a Lee conical would give the most energy, but I'd be more than a bit hesitant to pull the trigger on it, even in a Walker.
Old September 16, 2010, 03:44 AM   #5
simonkenton

He was hit and run, and shot the passenger at 45 yards?

What in the world?

Was the passenger still in the car? Is it justified to shoot a passenger?
Not around here it isn't.

This story is weird bordering on bizarre.
Old September 16, 2010, 08:20 AM   #6
Rifleman1776

I don't believe the story at all.
But that aside, whatever black powder and projectile you can cram into your Walker will shoot just fine. If you like the results that is the load for you. Just make sure you use real black powder.
I avoid modern subsitutes so can't speak to what will happen with them.
Old September 16, 2010, 12:29 PM   #7
ClemBert

So no one here can share their Walker experience using conicals?

1. Weight of conical?
2. Grains of powder?
3. Accuracy?
Old September 16, 2010, 01:02 PM   #8
arcticap

The Dragoon performance results pictured below should be similar to the Walker.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...4&postcount=25
Old September 16, 2010, 09:53 PM   #9
ClemBert

Thanks arcticap.

Kind of surprised that no one has any load data for the largest load/ball combination for a Walker. I was thinking we'd have at least a few folks here post their 50+ grain loads with conicals.
Old September 17, 2010, 05:52 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

I know this is not what you asked for but....

....I use roundball only. At forty grains I got a high MV of 988 and was doing two inch groups at 25 yards. Projectile weighs 137 gr. ASM Walker. As far as I know I am the first person to fire it.
Old September 17, 2010, 08:55 AM   #11
ClemBert

Thanks Doc. The velocity info IS helpful. It would be interesting to see someone's results if they could get a conical projectile of weight 220 - 240 grains propelled at that rate. Would be nice to know how many grains of BP it takes to do that. It may not be possible given the chamber depths and the relatively short barrel of a Walker.