The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 9, 2009, 09:47 PM   #1
jhngist

Super Blackhawk barrel shortening

I have an Old Model SBH with a 10 1/2" barrel. Now, don't get excited, the barrel is from a later gun. It has the "warning" rollmark, and a soldered-on sight, and it's tapered.I know that, if it were original, this gun would be worth megabucks. But in its present condition, the orginal collector's value is diminished greatly. This barrel length is 'way more than I would ever choose, but I got a killer deal on the gun, ($204.00), and it's otherwise pristeen. I'd like to have a shorter, (5 1/2") barrel, and I'm curious as to what it should cost to get it cut down properly. Also, if anyone can recommend a good 'smith in the Houston, TX area, I'd be obliged.
Thanks for any replies,
JG
Old February 10, 2009, 03:33 AM   #2
Scorch

I would not recommend going that short, but it is your gun. Any smith that is famiiar with handgun work can cut and crown the barrel and remount the sight. The sight is not soldered on, it is silver brazed on (sometimes caled silver solder) and has a base pin under it.
Old February 10, 2009, 03:55 AM   #3
HiBC

Long time ago I decided I wanted to be able to sit in a pickup with my SBH on my belt.Just a regular 71/2 in new model.I cut it at about 5 in,just ahead of the rolled script.
Removed ejector housing,set it up in a mill with a vee block and faced and crowned it with a boring head.Re-established th dowel pin hole and soldered the front sight on with the equivalent of Brownell's Hi-force 44,the 800 deg F stuff.That was about 25 years ago,it is still there.

I much prefer the 5 in,and a few other folks who tried mine felt the same.

It is a hoot with 300 gr laser cast.

Beware,if the flux runs,it takes blue off. :-(