The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 28, 2007, 04:49 PM   #1
garymb

It's between 3 of them...

So I am new to shotguns and am looking to acquire my first, though am limited to choose between three that my mother has inherited (she is offering me one as a gift): a Winchester 12ga over/under with "pigeon grade XTR" stamped on the barrel, a Winchester 20ga over/under also with "pigeon grade lightweight XTR" stamped on the barrel and what I think is a removable choke, and a Browning 12ga over/under that I have been told has salt in the wood; from what I can remember the stock has discolored powdery spots on it and the finish looks wavy as if it were cracking, though no actual surface cracks are present, and the rubber shoulder pad/cushion is cracking. Unfortunately I need to decide without actually looking at the guns again, as two of them will be sold before I have a chance to visit my mother and go through the transfer process. Basically, it would be my only shotgun, that I would use for bird hunting, blowing up gophers, etc. I havn't fired a shotgun since I was a kid and hunted gophers with my dad's old 410, so I'm not sure what to expect with the recoil of the 12 vs 20 ga...I'm a 5'10 165lb male to put things in perspective. So, from this very limited description, what would you all choose?
Old October 28, 2007, 05:50 PM   #2
perazzimx14

Choice is up to you. To bad you cannot get back and see which one you prefer.

As conceerning the "salt wood". Years ago Browning used salt to help aide in the extraction of moisture in the wood blanks. This proved to be a bad idea as salt and carbon steel do not mix well. Not all of the wood was effected though. Only the wood on the outside of the pile that came in contact with the salt was. So even if you have a "salt wood" Browning there may be nothing wrong with it. Even now Browning will replace the "salt wood" free of charge.

The only way to tell if the gun is effected is to remove the stock and look for corrosion of the inside of the receiver and internal parts. If the parts are corroded I would definately choose one of the Winchesters.
Old October 28, 2007, 06:30 PM   #3
garymb

To be honest I'm most impressed with how the Winchesters look, both are in immaculate condition with almost identical checkering and engraving, though the 20ga seems to have a few more bells and whistles. I think what will really sway me is the uses of the two sizes; is the 12 more capable when hunting, or will it blow smaller game to smithereens and leave me with a sore shoulder? Plus the 20 has screw-in chokes, dunno how much of a difference that makes...I'd like to go with the one that would be a better-suited all-around shotgun...
Old October 28, 2007, 08:57 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

All around usually means 12 gauge. I'd go with the Win 12.
Old October 29, 2007, 01:46 PM   #5
garymb

So the shotguns were evaluated by a firearms retailer/afficionado this morning, and it turns out the browning has some surface mildew on the stock but fortunately no salt in the wood, and internally is immaculate. With some cleaning up I was told it would be good as new...While I still think the Winchester has slightly better aesthetics, I was told the Browning is from the 1950's and has twice the value, which is kinda hard to argue with.
Old October 29, 2007, 03:09 PM   #6
johnbt

No salt is good news. I'd rather have the Browning, but you take the one you like. You can always sell it you know and buy something else later on.

John
Old October 29, 2007, 05:21 PM   #7
perazzimx14

Will the 12 gauge make your shoulder sore??????? If it is a Winchester 101 I doubt that it will make your shoulder sore but your cheek is a different story. The 101's are notorious for kicking like a mule as the stock confiruration was one that fit about 1% of the population.

If the Browning is as you state I would tend to go with it, as the stock configuration was better for most of the shooting population.