The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 1998, 11:40 PM   #1
Bill M

Anyone have pet loads they'd like to share for the 6.5mm M96 Swedish Mauser, .303 Enfields, and 7.62x54 Mosin Nagants? I'm not a hunter so my shooting will be restricted to punching holes in paper at 100 yards and beyond. To date I've been using surplus ammo but would like to expand into reloading. Am interested in starting with Sierra's matchking bullets.Thanks.
Old October 17, 1998, 08:09 PM   #2
rod

Pardon me for not posting a reloading message but I have a M96 Swede and it is a beauty ... but boy does it print high at 100 yards with that minimum 300 meter sight. The Swede's must have been anticipating very long range engagements <g>.

Did you install a new front sight blade in order to keep your shots on the paper at 100 yards? If so how did you figure sight height and where did you pick yours up?

I've been shooting Winchester 140 grain loads and I guess the sights are regulated for 160 grain Swedish military ammunition.

=rod=
Old October 20, 1998, 11:02 PM   #3
Bill M

Rod,

I haven't changed the front blade, not wanting to modify the gun in any way. Afterall, these Swede's are, as you say, real beauties. From my readings on line, I learned to expect them to shoot high at 100 yds. Now, at the range I simply hold 9-10 inches below where I want the bullet to impact. My groups are not spectacular by any professional standards, but keeping 5 shots within 3 1/8" at 100 yds with open sights and my poor vision, well... I'm satisfied. Up till now I've only used surplus ammo. When I first bought the rifle at a local gun show, I picked up a box of PMC commercial fodder for it. But critics warn against this particular brand of ammo in surplus guns saying it's too hot and may potentially damage both gun and shooter. So I've decided to pull the bullets and toss the powder but am unsure what to replace it with at this point. The act of learning is half the fun though.
Regards.
Old October 21, 1998, 09:35 AM   #4
rod

Bill:

Thanks for the reply. Front sight blades are so easy to replace without damaging the gun I don't worry about it. If I want to sell it as a collector's piece I'll reinstall the old one.

This month's American Rifleman has a nice set of loadings for 6.5x55. I'll send them to you if you'd like.

I have shot Winchester's 140 grain load with good success. I've heard the negative about the PMC ammo and steered clear of it.

=rod=
Old October 21, 1998, 01:25 PM   #5
Nestor Rivera

You might also think about getting a Williams rear apature sight (under $20) , It replaces the rear sight and is fully adjustable plus it is a peep sight. It does not require any changes to the rifle and can be changed back and fourth in a matter of minutes. I have a Tall sight on my '94 and the williams on my '96 and like both but I think the williams is maybe a little better. Good Luck
Old October 21, 1998, 07:35 PM   #6
Bill M

After reading your suggestions I'll give more thought to installing either a higher front sight or a Williams rear peep sight. As far as a source for tall replacement front blades, this has been brought up on Tuco's Forum in the past. You may check into it at http://www.paradise-web.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=tuco10. He has an archive you may check into for other questions as well.

Old October 23, 1998, 09:32 PM   #7
Colin

I have had some great success loading my Swede with RL-22 with Speer 140 gr and Noslers 120 gr Ballistic tips.I use "moderate" loads that are listed in the Lee reloading manual.
I recently shot some Lapua factory 156 gr soft-points that were VERY good. I plan to do some work with the Hornady 160 gr bullets and see if I can duplicate the performance.
Colin