The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 20, 1999, 07:41 PM   #1
Matt

Cleaning my colt 70 series last night i discovered a very small crack on the frame right at the slide stop.Can any thing be done or should i start shoping for a frame?This gun was bought from a pin shooter,and is almost all aftermarket,if nothing can be done to save this frame,who's would you recommend?
thanks
Matt
Old December 20, 1999, 09:33 PM   #2
Mikey

If the crack is at the part of the frame rail just above the squarish hole in the frame that the slide stop engagement surface protrudes through, you are probably OK. Most aftermarket frames don't even have that part of the rail at all. They just cut a gap for the slide stop. STI frames have a whole center section missing from both rails!

You may want to have a smith look at it and even machine that piece away to relieve any stress that might be there. It may help prevent more cracking.

Mikey
Old December 20, 1999, 11:18 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Matt,

It is a little late for you on this but perhaps someone else might benefit.

I recommend agaist buying a gun from a pin shooter. They tend to load hot and the guns suffer accordingly.

Jim
Old December 21, 1999, 12:25 PM   #4
JoeHatley

Matt, your frame can possibly be heli-arch welded, but unless it gets worse, I would just leave it alone. I've seen cracked frames last many years before they get bad enough to effect functioning.

If the crack starts at the slide stop hole, putting a slight radius on the area may slow it down. For a while...

Probably time to start watching for a replacement at your local gun shows, or have a dealer order you and Essex Arms frame.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA