The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 8, 2010, 08:08 PM   #1
fatdaddy

Winchester SX3 Shotgun

I have a winchester sx3 shotgun & it works great for goose shoots using 3 1/2". The problem I'm having is that when shooting clay pigeons it jams with 2 3/4" loads. The 2 3/4" loads are winchester 1 1/8 loads #8 (light target loads). Any tips are apprec. Thanks Fatdaddy
Old May 8, 2010, 10:14 PM   #2
poortrader

I have a SX3 Flanigan, and I haven't had any problems with 2 3/4 shells, but I only shoot Remingtons in it. I have heard of people having problems with the Winchester 2 3/4" shells.

Try to change the ammo, maybe this will help. Did you change the gas piston?

NRA Life Member
Old May 9, 2010, 04:33 PM   #3
arizona98tj

The SX2 used a couple of different gas valves, depending on the load.

Does the also SX3 use different gas valves? If so, which one do you have installed when shooting the 1 1/8 ounce loads?

I have an FNH SLP which is the same as an SX2. It comes with tow different valves and it does make a difference when shooting the lighter loads.
Old May 10, 2010, 07:17 AM   #4
LanceOregon

Quote:
The SX2 used a couple of different gas valves, depending on the load.

Does the also SX3 use different gas valves? If so, which one do you have installed when shooting the 1 1/8 ounce loads?

I have an FNH SLP which is the same as an SX2. It comes with tow different valves and it does make a difference when shooting the lighter loads.
The SX3 uses the new "Active Valve" system on its gas piston. So no, you do not get an extra gas piston, since the new design adjusts on its own.

Go to the Winchester Guns website, and you can read up on the new Active Valve design.

Old May 11, 2010, 07:46 AM   #5
johnbt

"The SX2 used a couple of different gas valves, depending on the load."

I believe the target guns did; or some of the target guns. I have a 2003 SX-2 Waterfowl/3.5" and it will cycle anything from 1-1/8 oz. field loads on up without changing or adjusting anything.

I would try a different brand of ammo and add more lube to everything that moves. I'm assuming this is a new gun.

John