The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 30, 2007, 07:19 PM   #1
roy reali

Ejectability

Has anyone here noticed that certain brands of shotshells seem to work better in self-loaders?

I am curently using several brands of light field loads in my auto. The Winchester ammo does cycle the gun, but barely. In fact, once in awhile a shell will not fully eject. The ones that do hit the ground just a few feet away.

Federal shells seem to eject with a bit more force. I haven't had one not cycle completely yet. They also land on the ground a little farther away then the Winchester shells.

The Estate shells go flying out of my shotgun. Often I can not even find the hulls. I pick up after myself, but with Estate shells they often end up out of sight. These seem to cycle the action with some oomph!

All the shells are of similar shot size, shot weight, and velocity. They are small upland game type of rounds.

Do ceratin brands seem to work in your auto shotguns better then others?
Old November 1, 2007, 03:31 PM   #2
ronto

Don't have a self-loader, but Winchester's don't even eject well all the time in my pump...Never had a problem with Remington.
Old November 1, 2007, 05:47 PM   #3
BigJimP

Most semi-autos are a little finnicky about the loads they cycle the best. However, if they are kept clean and lubed ( which means you clean and lube them after every time you shoot them ...) then most any gun will cycle a load that is at least 1200fps even if its only 7/8 oz of shot.

If the gun is dirty, its a crapshoot on whether they will cycle or not.