The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 27, 2008, 05:55 PM   #51
ElectricHellfire

Nah, the pack doesnt scream gun IMO. Besides, thinking you have a gun in your bag and proving it are two different issues. If the establishment has a rule against bags then they have a beef. Otherwise they can suspect all they want but they gotta eat it.
Old May 27, 2008, 06:09 PM   #52
sophijo

fannypack

I bet you could wear that in a shoulder rig kinda setup...I'm still thinking about chest waders belted at waist. The pack could solve the "water", the "access", and the "retention" problem. BTW....and I thought my legs were ugly!
Old May 27, 2008, 06:18 PM   #53
ElectricHellfire

Does anyone else use the Maxpedition Versipaks? I use one occasionally but I have two little kids so it just kinda looks like a diaper bag.
Old May 28, 2008, 08:30 AM   #54
Mark Milton

I don't understand why you need the fanny pack, unless it is for your wallet and cell phone.
For years I carried a Glock 17 in an IWB rig in my summer gym shorts.
Couple of times I wore it while swimming using the same rig attached to my swimming trunks. It's light enough not to pull down trousers, after all.

I have a fanny pack now, but seldom put a gun in it. I tend to stick the gun in an IWB rig, sometimes an ankle rig. The pack is a nice place to stow the wallet, car keys and folding knife though.

A j-frame is more compact though. I got one of those and started packing it in an IWB rig. I even wore it while pumping iron back when I used to go to the gym. Wear a big enough t-shirt and smaller wood grips and nobody ever noticed. Hoist enough poundage and they will be counting plates not scoping out if you have an odd bulge on your waistband.

I have known outlaw bikers and undercover cops who carried large guns to gyms, usually concealed in their gym bags under a t-shirt. A friend of mine who was a pro-wrestler on the indy circuit once told me that back in the old days a lot of wrasslers' carried guns the same way.

Uh,
Dude, you are so hairy they should have hired you to play Wolverine in those X men movies.....
Old May 28, 2008, 11:39 AM   #55
Magyar

Quote:
So if you feel secure in your manhood and can get over looking like a tourist (or looking like a possible lesbian if you are female) I would highly recommend it.
I guess I fit in that category...The look of a fanny pack & the retrieval issue just stops me "cold"....
Old May 28, 2008, 12:47 PM   #56
bikerbill

Bought a fanny pack when I first started carrying, but I just couldn't bring myself to wear it ... I carry in a pocket holster, I DO wear a belt with shorts (otherwise I feel like the weight of the gun is pulling my pants down on one side) and I don't have to deal with fanny pack access issues .. the gun just slides out of my pocket ... By the way .. there ARE four seasons in Texas ... Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer and Christmas ...

As always .. to each his own ...
Old May 28, 2008, 02:21 PM   #57
milemission

For summer carry, there are several shorts that have the same four pockets as blue jeans, but have two larger lower pockets just above the knees. A handgun in an in pocket holster would work in several different kinds of these sorts. You're still dressed for summer, still carrying, and not wearing a fanny pack.
Old May 28, 2008, 02:38 PM   #58
hayek

Quote:
Bought a fanny pack when I first started carrying, but I just couldn't bring myself to wear it.
Old May 28, 2008, 02:40 PM   #59
hayek

Summer carry for me is better in a sense because I can wear my shirt tail out and I blend in with the crowd better that way. In winter, it is less common to see someone with their shirt tail out. Anyway, in the winter I carry with a shoulder holster quite often.
Old May 28, 2008, 03:01 PM   #60
Playboypenguin

Quote:
there are several shorts that have the same four pockets as blue jeans
I am not a fan of pocket carry.I find it uncomfortable, awkward, and obvious at best...and that is with a small gun. There is no way I am getting a gun with teo rounds or .40S&W or .357sig in a pocket like I can my pack.
Old May 28, 2008, 03:06 PM   #61
milemission

I was suggesting shorts that also have the two larger lower pockets around knee level, like cargo shorts and such. I have some shorts and pants that have pockets like that which will accomodate a snubby revolver with an inpocket holster nicely.
Old May 28, 2008, 04:07 PM   #62
tplumeri

Quote:
I was suggesting shorts that also have the two larger lower pockets around knee level
yeah, that would cover up more of those hairy legs!
Old May 28, 2008, 04:11 PM   #63
Playboypenguin

Quote:
I was suggesting shorts that also have the two larger lower pockets around knee level, like cargo shorts and such. I have some shorts and pants that have pockets like that which will accomodate a snubby revolver with an inpocket holster nicely.
I hate those things. It always looks like you are wearing a crumpled up pile of laundry on your thighs. Besides, the cargo pockets offer little support and take for ever to access if they are button...and I would never put a gun in them without buttoning them.
Old May 28, 2008, 05:07 PM   #64
Desslock

I kinda like the "Spider Man" pack idea...Who the hell's gonna think you're carrying a gun in a "Spider Man" pack? Or a "Knight Rider" pack...Oooo...I like the sound of that one. I suppose a "Teletubbies" pack would really throw them off, too. Steer clear of the "A-Team" and "Rambo" ones, though.
Old May 28, 2008, 05:09 PM   #65
Lawyer Daggit

What is wrong with bum bags (or what you call them fanny packs)- they are very popular with Australian hunters.
Old May 28, 2008, 05:29 PM   #66
EastSideRich

I think there is a line you have crossed (over which you cannot return) the first time you strap one of those things on, much like buying a minivan.

I'm not prepared to cross that line, and hope I never do.

Even if it carries well, there has got to be a better way.

I must also say:
pbp, I am shocked that the guy with all that stainless and wood (arguably the finest looking collection I've seen) wears one of those.
I hope you at least only put your Glock or XD in that thing.
For the sake of all that is holy, PLEASE keep your Sig away from that man purse.
Old May 28, 2008, 06:38 PM   #67
vox rationis

I don't have a fanny pack, but rarely, I will carry in a man purse .

Anyway that fanny pack looks like a very practical solution with that wardrobe.

Quote:
For years I carried a Glock 17 in an IWB rig in my summer gym shorts.
Couple of times I wore it while swimming using the same rig attached to my swimming trunks. It's light enough not to pull down trousers, after all.
DUDE..you carried a G17 in your SWIM TRUNKS?..WHILE SWIMMING?...that is HARD CORE!!!
Old May 28, 2008, 06:50 PM   #68
Jay1958

I have an Uncle Mike's fanny pack, but I don't use it as a carry method. I keep it in my car for those times when I have to go in somewhere that I can't legally carry - for example, a bar or restaurant that serves alcohol...

I put my carry weapon in the fanny pack while I am still seated in the car, then pop the trunk and place the fanny pack with pistol inside in the truck. Returning to the car, back to the trunk, retrieve the fanny pack, get in the car and go...
Old May 28, 2008, 07:15 PM   #69
EastSideRich

Quote:
I put my carry weapon in the fanny pack while I am still seated in the car, then pop the trunk and place the fanny pack with pistol inside in the truck.
If you have to do this, I highly recommend you place the gun in your trunk at some other location (before you get to your destination).
Nothing says "I have valuables I don't want stolen" like putting something in your trunk before you go in someplace.

A couple of years ago my mom went for a walk around lake on a weekend afternoon (very busy lake, lots of people). Before she left her car she put her purse in her trunk. When she returned, she found someone had got in her car, ripped out her back seat and took her purse.
I cant remember how they got in the car in the first place, but I don't think they broke the window.

Just goes to show how brazen some people are (mid-day, lots of people around)
Old May 29, 2008, 07:50 AM   #70
Murdock

Me too!

Geez! Don't mock PBP for having hairy legs. He's got a gun!

Fanny packs are good.

Last edited by Murdock; May 29, 2008 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Photos didn't laod. Will try again
Old May 29, 2008, 08:57 AM   #71
Firepower!

I doubt if its about being real man or not. I just refuse to wear something that ridiculous. Rather leave gun in car than be a laughing stock!

You can always pace gun in your pants' side under T shirt, or on ankle if wearing pants.

No purses for me. No sir, thank you!
Old May 29, 2008, 09:37 AM   #72
Wuchak

If you ever watched Hogan Knows Best you'll know that the Hulkster is never without his fanny pack. If it's ok for the Hulk it's ok for me.
Old May 29, 2008, 12:34 PM   #73
Playboypenguin

Quote:
I just refuse to wear something that ridiculous
What makes it ridiculous? Allowing yourself to be shamed and shaped by other people arbitrary and juvenile opinions?
Old May 29, 2008, 12:42 PM   #74
ElectricHellfire

Who cares what it looks like. If it fits your need and does the job carry it. I didnt think it looked all that bad actually. Now if you had those flip up sunglasses and a plastic clear green hat on then that would be bad. I see no problem with it personally. Gotta stop worrying about how you look. Oh wait, mabey that just happens after 18 years of marriage.... Go with it PbP.
Old May 29, 2008, 01:41 PM   #75
Van55

I got my fanny pack yesterday. Genuine leather. Holds my HK USP9, two magazines, 100 rounds of ammo easily, though it's a bit heavy.

No one laughed at me at the range, and the guy running the range begged me to let him load my magazines with my UpLula speed loader (again).
Closed Thread