The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 8, 2015, 06:16 PM   #1
Old Stony

Pigs in the trees?

I have been having some deer lately showing up on the cameras with some signs I think might be a big cat. I realize the cats travel a large area and might be long gone, but I thought maybe it would be interesting to try for some pic's of one at least. My first attempt with a hog leg hanging just brought out a bunch of coyotes and buzzards..but I thought I'd try it again. We hung these two small hogs in a tree this morning and put a camera on them to see what might show up. I just thought it might get interesting..
Old May 8, 2015, 09:11 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Deer with signs of a big cat? Those pics would be really interesting.

Seeing your picture, my first thought was "Blair Pig Project."
Old May 8, 2015, 10:28 PM   #3
Sharkbite

Hmmmm... Looks like pigs DO fly
Old May 9, 2015, 03:23 AM   #4
Ibmikey

I think they, along with snakes are waiting to drop out of trees onto my scrawny body
Old May 9, 2015, 05:13 AM   #5
BoogieMan

I dont think cats will scavenge. Pretty sure they only eat fresh kills. You may have a much better result if you put up a little fenced area and left the pig alive. Either way im sure you will draw plenty of yotes.
And, that picture is priceless.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 9, 2015, 05:41 AM   #6
livingintx

At the very least it should keep the terrorists away
Old May 9, 2015, 10:04 AM   #7
Double Naught Spy

Mountain lions will scavenge, but generally prefer fresher or unspoiled meat. So this time of year, scavenging is less likely to occur more than a day or two after the kill.

http://www.balancedecology.org/Mount..._Behavior.html
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_d...pubs/00-54.pdf
http://bri.sulross.edu/nongame_ml_prey.html
Old May 9, 2015, 11:07 AM   #8
rickyrick

Will smell lovely soon.
I know nothing of cats
Coyotes will come
Old May 9, 2015, 12:47 PM   #9
Old Stony

I know nothing of cats either....this pic is of one coyote the last time I tried this. I had a pretty good bunch hanging from a pig leg and one ambitious one that tried climbing up after it. I figure nothing ventured, nothing gained in this situation..so i might as well try. The worse that can happen is probably some coyotes wandering around burping from eating too much pork.
The property I am trying this on has a lot of bobcats, but I think the damage i was seeing on the deer had to be something large...and I don't think a bobcat would tackle a full grown deer anyway.
Old May 12, 2015, 12:05 PM   #10
psalm7

Having not read the story that goes with the pic I would have thought it was your idea of art . Kind of like the Texas chainsaw family .

Looking foward to more pics of what does show up .
Old May 12, 2015, 02:53 PM   #11
Old Stony

I guess I made one major mistake with my picture taking...some time ago. I invested in a bunch of Wildview cameras, back when the company still stood behind them. In fact I still have a few that I have never used that would not be eligible for warranty as I have had them on a shelf for too long.
Anyway I made a mistake of putting one of them on a tree pointing at the pigs and it failed to take any pictures ( which seems to be a common failing with them). I am careful to always format a sd card before I put it in a camera and set everything up right....but probably 20% of the time they just don't work.
This has been a major disappointment this time, as both pigs are completely gone now. I had one just hanging from a rope, but the other was roped to a limb and tied securely with horse wire...so it would have taken some serious effort to get it down.
All I can say at this point is Wildview cameras are crap.
Maybe I'll try this experiment another day using another brand of camera.
Old May 12, 2015, 03:07 PM   #12
psalm7

Mine would take 1 picture then lock up . I always ended up with one picture of a crow or a nosie dog before dark then nothing .
Old May 12, 2015, 06:49 PM   #13
Jo6pak

Probably Bigfoot. Don't some of the "researchers" say that sasquatch can affect electrical devices?

Or maybe chupacabra?
Old May 12, 2015, 07:35 PM   #14
psalm7

One researcher in the late 70's claimed that for each UFO sighting there was a bigfoot sighting near that area . These are probly the researchers that run our Universities today .
Old May 12, 2015, 07:59 PM   #15
Old Stony

I wouldn't doubt there was an "aura" of some kind over the area I had baited. After I found the results of my work were for naught as a result of a crummy camera, I think I discovered some words that weren't even in my vocabulary previously.
I hope the folks at Wildview felt some of the heat in the air...
Old May 12, 2015, 08:37 PM   #16
psalm7

Iv noticed how many folks do not realize what kind of wildlife live near them . I cant count how many times Iv heard " We have those here ? " when looking at critter cam shots .
Old May 13, 2015, 11:37 AM   #17
rickyrick

I used to put spoiled chicken in front of game cams... Critters would come to that spot for weeks
Old May 14, 2015, 08:50 AM   #18
Old Stony

Pigs have been a little scarce around here lately and rather than wait for some more, I baited up the tree with a couple more critters I found this morning. i really tightened up some horse wire around them, so they are securely held to the tree. This time I put 2 cameras on them so maybe at least one camera will work.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:42 PM   #19
Double Naught Spy

I bet you are a lot of fun at Halloween!
Old May 14, 2015, 03:16 PM   #20
rickyrick

No critter eats raccoons lol... They were always the last carcass touched.

Once as an experiment I left a raccoon and a skunk together as bait and the coyotes ate the skunk carcass before the raccoon lol

Your pics look like the route to the chainsaw killer's house
Old May 14, 2015, 06:43 PM   #21
Old Stony

Maybe one of these days I'll have some good pork to hang again. Hogs have been been pretty scarce around here lately. Lots of deer and coon tracks around all the feeders, but not one hog track lately. I started putting out coon traps again to try to lower their numbers some. Last time I did this was last year and I quit trapping them at number 89, but I guess it it's time again. I have trapped 14 of them in the past 2 weeks and would have had a bunch more if the weather would only cooperate.
Old May 14, 2015, 07:28 PM   #22
double bogey

Stony, what area of the county are you hunting? When my parents were alive they lived off 243 near the shell station. Used to have lots of family there, but the old farmers died, kids sold off the places. Only have a few cousins left. The first pigs I ever saw loose were a bunch of babies near Whitton, in the mid
70's. That county sure is getting populated on the west side, it seems.
good luck with your tree baits, that's how they hunt leopards, so maybe it will work with cougar. If that's what your tracks are.
Old May 14, 2015, 07:44 PM   #23
rickyrick

Texas raccoons love marshmallows

They cannot resist them
Old May 14, 2015, 08:59 PM   #24
psalm7

Great horned owls love skunks . They will kill and eat everyone they see .
Old May 15, 2015, 05:25 AM   #25
Old Stony

Bogey...most of my hunting is a couple miles south of Canton near the property we call Spring Lake. It was once called Titus lake if that triggers any memories for you. It is about 1,100 acres now, with a 40 acre lake in the middle of it and woods thicker than you can walk through on a lot of it. I also have access to a couple properties sw of Canton towards Martins Mill that are pretty productive. The tree baiting is on one of those properties.
Rickyrick....I used marshmallows for some time and they did work great, but the heat melts them into a gooey mess and the rain plays havoc with them. I am using the Duke dog free traps and they work great. I feed fish on a couple lakes around here and the coons really like the floating fish food. It sits in a trap for a while and resists rain pretty good for a few days...at least. I ususally give a squirt of fish oil around the trap just to let the coons find it easier.