The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 7, 2015, 10:34 PM   #1
60mg

feral hogs hunt - locations?

I've been hearing about those "just help me to get rid of them" locations but it seems like it's rather a myth waiting to be busted. Either way, I was hoping to find a few places for 3-4 people hunt that would not be "fishing" only, be reasonably priced yet actually had hogs and no limits but it seems like all I can find is either BS promises or outrageous prices. Can anyone recommend a place based on their own experience ... "my buddy's been there" referral brought me those above by far.
Thanks a ton in advance
Old April 7, 2015, 10:47 PM   #2
cliffhangernlv

I've heard parts of Arizona is good hog hunting. And last I heard Utah says "come get 'em". Nevada is that way for coyotes but has no hogs.
Old April 7, 2015, 10:50 PM   #3
TimSr

Knowing your location and how far you are willing to travel would probably get you more helpful recommendations.
Old April 7, 2015, 10:53 PM   #4
rickyrick

While farmers like to get rid of them, it would be hard to let you and your buddies just show up to hunt them...

I did it for free, but I was known and trusted by the property owners
Old April 7, 2015, 11:01 PM   #5
TXAZ

You really need to know the land owner but the eastern half of Texas has a serious hog problem.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 8, 2015, 01:11 AM   #6
60mg

I'm in Illinois. travel ... anything within 10-14 hours of travel works.
I quit trying to find a free place a while ago. I'm just trying to find a place that won't cost me a my mortgage to go hunt at and would have hogs to go after. everything else is a bonus most of the places I was looking at are not letting anything other than sit in the stand ... kind of boring.
Old April 8, 2015, 04:33 AM   #7
Brotherbadger

Not sure what you consider expensive, but I've heard good things about jagerpro and hogswat out of SW Georgia. I've never used them(I hunt with some local friends), but I hear they get the job done. Lots of hogs in SW Georgia, so I doubt you'll be shut out.

A quick check of their websites show cost is somewhere around $500/person/night, and that includes ammo, weapons and thermals.

Should be within 14 hours, depending on where you live in Illinois.

EDIT: None of it is sitting in a stand or fenced in, from my understanding. They go to local farms and stalk the hogs.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "

Last edited by Brotherbadger; April 8, 2015 at 05:11 AM.
Old April 8, 2015, 08:25 AM   #8
Grits

The stand hunting is usually done over bait. Stand hunting would have its advantages like making it less likely that the hogs will see or smell you - they have a very good nose. Stand hunting is safer for all those around you which is probably the primary reason they want you in a stand. The deer club I am in in South Carolina will only allow still hunting out of a stand on their land, unless you are using a shotgun with Buck Shot.

I have never hunted hogs ( eaten several and consider them superior to meat you can buy in the store ) but I know how hard they are to see. I only have 14 acres but just across a 4 lane highway from my house is a huge tract of land with several thousand of acres and a 100 acre pond. People have always told me the place was crawling with wild hogs, yet just across the road and even though I have driven over this land many times, I have never seen any. I know that hogs will feed during the day but around here they are primarily nocturnal. I don't know if this is a DNA thing or whether it is from any hunting pressure but your chances of seeing one are much better at night. This is why a lot of states like South Carolina are easing restrictions on night hunting, because of the hogs and the coyote that has become a major concern due to the impact on the deer herd of the state. They do put restrictions on the rifles used at night and I think .22 cal is the only rifle you can use. Hit them in the right place and a ,22 cal is just as good as a 30-06

One reason it may cost you some money to hog hunt is the way hunting has changed in my life time. Almost every young boy hunted when I was a teenager. We didn't even ask permission a lot of times because even the most hardened farmer wouldn't say anything to a young boy with a shotgun or a 22 rifle, even if he was trespassing. Things are different now and unfarmed land is turned over to the state to manage or leased out to hunting clubs which is even more profitable. The window for my hunting hogs has closed. I know if I killed one I would have to dress it, and I am probably too old and weak to hoist it off the ground
Old April 8, 2015, 03:12 PM   #9
choctaw

Quote:
You really need to know the land owner but the eastern half of Texas has a serious hog problem.
So does the western half.
Old April 8, 2015, 03:14 PM   #10
rickyrick

Really not much public land in Texas.
Old April 8, 2015, 10:55 PM   #11
colbad

there are no hogs in Arizona. Don't confuse Javalina and Wild Hogs. A Javelina is not a pig and not dangerous like feral hogs.
Old April 9, 2015, 01:49 PM   #12
rickyrick

Pigs aren't particularly dangerous to humans... They would really like it if you just let them squeal and run away... A pig in a cage, trap or otherwise restrained can be quite aggressive.

Now when you shoot one in a group, a monumental spectacle will unfold of pigs scattering in random directions; you may want to be alert so you don't have a collision... Especially if you are at pretty close range.
Old April 9, 2015, 02:04 PM   #13
Banger357

http://www.helihunter.com/

I have not done this, nor have I been to that area. All I know is that ever since I stumbled across a youtube video of it, it has been at the top of my bucket list. My brother and I are planning on booking a trip once I have more money and his wife stops popping out babies every year.
Old April 9, 2015, 08:29 PM   #14
TimSr

Quote:
there are no hogs in Arizona. Don't confuse Javalina and Wild Hogs. A Javelina is not a pig and not dangerous like feral hogs.
Javalena is a peccary. They are a totally different species and cannot interbreed with hogs. They are much, much smaller than hogs.

Not familiar with AZ hunting laws, but I'm going to guess that they are regulated as a game animal, and not an invasive varmint.
Old April 10, 2015, 07:37 AM   #15
Mobuck

I heard from some local guys who drove to Texas and paid a landowner several hundred $$ for zero critters. Seems some scammers are taking advantage of folks from a good distance away.
I've been hearing all the commentary about the feral hogs doing lots of damage but then all the landowners want paid to let someone get rid of the hogs. Seems the state has a responsibility to take care of it's critter problems. Regardless of the background, once the critters are loose and not claimed by someone, they're "wildlife".
Old April 10, 2015, 08:05 AM   #16
rickyrick

It's normal for people to pay land owners to hunt in Texas.

I have seen where a land owner lets someone hunt for free and the guy invites all his buddies and turns into a reckless party...

Most of them have animals they don't want shot up or property destroyed...

I'm not sure where the state has responsibility to control a farmers problems, but some counties have bounties of a couple of bucks per tail....

Hunting leases are a good way for the farmer to make money... Some are nearly insolvent at times ....
Old April 10, 2015, 09:47 PM   #17
Mobuck

"I'm not sure where the state has responsibility to control a farmers problems, but some counties have bounties of a couple of bucks per tail.."

According to the reports, this is NOT "a farmer's problem". Like the zebra mussels in the Great Lakes or the Asian Carp in the Mississippi, the species(whatever it is) has become a "public problem" and requires the input of the state to control or correct the problem.
I assume that farmers and other landowners pay a significant amount of taxes and I would expect those taxes to pay for the control of "invasive species" if I was one of those paying said taxes.
Old April 10, 2015, 10:56 PM   #18
TXAZ

I have to take exception with colbad's post:
Quote:
A Javelina is ... not dangerous like feral hogs.
It could be a tragedy for someone to believe that and approach a javelina. We lived in Central AZ for 2+ decades and often heard of people and pets being attacked. Their distance sight might not be great but their ability to become Major league hacked-off quickly and attack is well documented.
We had some living at the end of the block. Steering clear while being situationally aware and prepared to fire is required to avoid potentially serious hospital visits.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 11, 2015, 10:28 AM   #19
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
there are no hogs in Arizona.
Yes there are. http://www.huntwildpig.com/state-spe...a-pig-hunting/
Old April 11, 2015, 10:45 AM   #20
Water-Man

http://www.caryonah.com/

I haven't been to this place.
Old April 11, 2015, 12:18 PM   #21
rickyrick

It is a statewide problem, I dealt with it for many years... People have attempted to control them.... Texas is full of invasive species; plants, animals and fish... That's from private land ownership and unchecked agriculture...
It would be a revolutionary act for the state to enter all these private lands to eradicate hogs; people will get pretty upset.

Now lots of people pay hog hunters to get them out, many hog hunters are unscrupulous and release them to keep their business going. High fence hunting ranches also keep them.... So the well to do can come down and kill one like and pose like a warrior...
So if a person wants to hunt hogs in Texas they must pay a hunting lease, pay for a canned hunt, own property or know someone who does.
Old April 11, 2015, 02:11 PM   #22
thallub

Wild hogs are big business in TX: They are also big business in OK. The OK legislature recently rejected a bill that would have tightened the rules regarding the hog hunting ranches as well as the hunting, trapping, keeping and sale of wild hogs.
Old April 11, 2015, 04:09 PM   #23
reloader28

Funny thing about Texans. They all complain about the terrible hog problem until you offer to come down and help, then they want you to pay for each hog you kill.

If it was a real problem, it IS solvable by shipping in gray wolves like they did here. Canadian grays are just as native to Texas as they are to Wyoming. I guarantee the hogs would disappear just like everything did around here. Even the grizzlies are heading east.
Old April 11, 2015, 07:07 PM   #24
rickyrick

Well there's lots of free hog hunting if you own the property.

They are a huge problem... I've hunted a few ranches for free.... I was well known and trusted and spent 4 or 5 nights each week at times hunting... On top of a regular job sometimes without sleep.

Anytime someone from the outside gets to hunt for free, out come the beer coolers, all his buddies and 4 wheel drives, next thing the gates are left open and the cows are in the highway.

Farmers allowing free hunts was ruined long ago by knuckleheads. Don't let the fact that someone from up north gets charged to hunt fool you into thinking that there's not a problem.... Farms are a business, hunting is profit, but an idiot leaving a gate open or shooting cows can solve that quick.

Last edited by rickyrick; April 11, 2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old April 11, 2015, 08:54 PM   #25
globemaster3

For those willing to castigate the Texas landowners for complaining about the problem, but charging for the opportunity to hunt, search the topic on here and read some of the inputs from other forum members with property down there and hear some of the problems that have been caused by the knuckleheads. Just because they want to charge doesn't mean its not that big of a problem...

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."