The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 4, 2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Boomer44

Cleaning Beretta A400 Excel Sport

I just purchased the Beretta A400 Excel Sport. It's a Great gun. Since it's a gas operated gun, I see that the gas cylinder gets fouled. It has several small port holes and is a little tricky to clean. A guy I meet at the range told me he uses CRC Brake Cleaner, and it works very well for him... Does anyone have any thoughts on this ????
Old March 4, 2013, 02:33 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

I use the non-chlorinated stuff in the $3 can from wally world on the Xplor A400 i have. I also use dental picks to get any major hard buildup and pipe cleaner to go inside the ports gently. Brake cleaner also works well for INSIDE the barrel and on the piston.
Old March 4, 2013, 04:07 PM   #3
publius

My standard way of cleaning anything is to flood on the powder solvent and scrub with a toothbrush. Let it sit for a few minutes & scrub again. Clean it all off w/ carb cleaner. You have to remember that it is completely clean and no lube is there at all so you need to relube most parts. It does get a gun CLEAN though. Keep carb cleaner away from plastic/polymer!
Old March 4, 2013, 04:48 PM   #4
BigJimP

I think break or carburetor cleaners are way too corrosive...

Personally, I use "Shooters Choice" products for 99% of my cleaning...and if I get a real stubborn spot, a little bit of Barnes CR-10 ---but I think the solution to the problem is more like BiDinFL advised...some pipe cleaners, Qtips ...and just clean it after every range trip .../ so you don't get that heavy buildup .....
Old March 4, 2013, 04:54 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

Some of my buildup, I'll attribute to using Red Dot - reminds me of the days when i used Unique a lot - a dirty powder and that MIGHT have something to do with it in my gun. BUT, that being said, my 3.5' chambered goose gun shoots my very light 3/4oz reloads with zero malfs of any kind....
Old March 4, 2013, 09:45 PM   #6
Boomer44

Thanks guys..... There is some good advise there.. Just what I wanted.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:47 PM   #7
rcase1234

Brake clean is a great cleaning product IMO. I would use it on the piston as well as the inside of the barrel.
Old March 5, 2013, 06:59 AM   #8
Virginian

I use WD-40 and have zero issues. I am reasonably sure brake cleaner would work too; it works well on my brakes.
Old March 6, 2013, 06:46 AM   #9
Slugo

+1 for WD40
Old March 6, 2013, 10:00 AM   #10
BigD_in_FL

WD-40 is a decent item for cleaning the barrel as it acts like a solvent making plastic, etc. easily removable. I do not like it for small areas like ejectors because it can, over time, build up a varnish-like residue that may cause issues.