The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 17, 2012, 12:38 AM   #26
Bill from Boomhower,

congratulations on your model 42

Get that problem you mentioned rectified, buy up some .410 ammo, and prepare to keep a staight face, as you amaze yourself and your friends, by out-shooting their 12 and 20ga guns, making it look easy and fun. Easy because it's a damned fine gun, well designed, with excellent balance and point-ability, which feels like an extention of your arm pointing, swinging thru on targets.............. natural. And fun because the shotgun is so light, so balanced and light weight that it not only makes last second snap-shots on game count effortlessly, but it's probably half to two/thirds the weight of the Model 12, and shells are as well light in weight, and are less bulky to carry afield, making this gun a fun pleasure to shoot, and shoot well. The old saying about .410s was that the gun was for beginners, or experts. I should never have let go of the one I had that was my Dad's. It had a plain bbl w/full choke, and was just very clean otherwise. Nowadays I have a real clean Wingmaster 870 in .410 w/vent-rib bbl, and improved cylinder, that was my Father-inlaw's, but this one's not gettin' away from me. You'll really appriciate that gun by just shooting with it as I have mentioned. Keep your eye out for a Winchester model 37, a uniquely designed single shot .410 break-open, that your boy can gro into first to help teach him. It's even shorter and lighter than the model 42, with a unique design.....the top tang break-open lever is in front of the hammer. That's certainly different, yet it puts the young shooter's handin a closer, more natural position to raise or lower the hammer, I beieve making it safer for new, young shooters, plus you'll have another cool Winchester. I have one myself, and used to have the model 42 as well. Oh well.........
Old July 17, 2012, 03:14 PM   #27
misterE

Just got the manual in the mail so I'm thinking this weekend I'll take it apart and try to assess what the problem with extraction is. The bolt has a tiny extractor claw on the inside or left side of the bolt and I'm thinking it may be broken off and some of it missing. Gonna have to do a search on the net for pics of what it should look like.

Also, the slide release is a little sticky. I'm hoping a good thorough cleaning and maybe a few replacement parts will have her up and running. Seems like a pretty complex gun to me just looking at the manual, with many areas for dirt to gum up and plenty of tiny parts to break or tiny springs to get weak. Wish me luck!
Old July 18, 2012, 01:07 AM   #28
340 Weatherby

At $700, that was a fine purchase. you should be able to get it fixed ok as their are people that specialize in 42's. I haven't seen one like yours priced under $750 in 20 years. They truly are a cult gun, and unless someone has one they probably won't understand. Shoot a limit of doves with that thing and they'll have to knock the smile off your face.
Old July 18, 2012, 08:08 AM   #29
oneounceload

We have a small cadre at our gun club who all own 42's and they will get together on the 5-stand and FITASC field with them and have some fun. Most are pre WW II, and in great condition
Old July 19, 2012, 12:05 PM   #30
Davidmoody

H&R 20 gauge on receipt but on gun Winchester

I have a 20 gauge single shot shotgun that is supposed to be an H&R but on the stock it says it's a Winchester ........the serial numbers on the receipt and the gun do not match up...
This may help ......it doesn't eject the shell after firing....typical on an H&R
Someone said to use Remington ammo.....I am using Winchester super target
Old July 19, 2012, 02:18 PM   #31
zippy13

Greetings Davidmoody, and welcome aboard.

Quote:
...the serial numbers on the receipt and the gun do not match up...
Oops... I think you may be trolling for trouble.
How is the stock labeled "Winchester"... on the butt plate or grip cap?
Old July 19, 2012, 03:33 PM   #32
Davidmoody

No trouble...

I hope......
It is a plastic shoulder plate that says Winchester repeating arms co.
Serial#8794 2
this is a very old gun.....
Thanx for your reply.....
I'm putting together kit furniture for my neighbor...so I'm in and out
Get ASAP
Dave Moody
Old July 19, 2012, 06:11 PM   #33
gunut

misterE;
..be carefull taking apart that 42..its easy to damage screws and scratch and mare parts trying to get them apart..[fair warning given]

Nice looking gun....it was made in 1961....

Last edited by gunut; July 19, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old July 19, 2012, 07:14 PM   #34
Davidmoody

Thanx

How did you know it was 1961.......
Is it a Winchester or an H&R......
I did clean the breech totally ....and hop in that it ejects the shells
I heard that Remington has a better quality ammo......!!!!.
Thanx
Dave
Old July 19, 2012, 09:00 PM   #35
misterE

Gunnut - thanks for the warning and I plan on being extremely careful with this gun. By the way, do you have any experience with disassembly of the 42? If so, I'm sure I'll have some questions. Going to really take my time on this one. I was planning on starting this weekend, but my sister just had a baby in nw Arkansas, so looks like I'll be headed up there.

David - I just went to google and did a search for " Winchester serial numbers" and came up with a site where you enter the number and they tell you the date of manufacture. You do have to know the model of the Winchester to search the serial number.
Old July 26, 2012, 08:32 PM   #36
misterE

extractor, bolt pics

Hey guys, im having a hard time finding any pics of the left extractor on the model 42, but i finally got to taking the gun apart, and have some pics of the bolt showing the extractor. Take a look at the left extractor and see if you guys think its broke off. Thats what it looks like to me and this may be my solution to my extraction problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bolt 1.JPG (62.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg bolt 2.JPG (99.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg bolt 3.JPG (90.2 KB, 37 views)
Old August 27, 2012, 06:25 PM   #37
misterE

Alright, I'm back, with updates.

I found that Midwest gun works had all the parts I felt needed replacing after I finally got the gun all broken down ( don't thinks I've ever taken that long to take a gun apart). Anyways, I replaced several springs and screws, but when I went to replace the left side extractor I didn't fit! Dang it! It is just too fat. It will actually go into the slot and I even got the retaining pin in, but there is so much extra metal, it will not function at all. So I put the old one back in ( which is sheared off at the tip) and got the gun back together after thoroughly cleaning every last bit of it. Took it out and shot it last night and still failing to eject every third or fourth round (big surprise).

So my question this time is would y'all just try to file the new extractor down to fit or search the world over for a new extractor that is correct? I think I'll probably end up filing.

Oh, I did fix the sticky slide release. Just had to do some very light filing where the thingy was hitting the thingy.
Old August 27, 2012, 07:41 PM   #38
oneounceload

$700 is a steal for a 42. My local club has a group of folks with 42's, and between all of them, they have about every grade - all get shot
Old September 24, 2012, 12:17 AM   #39
misterE

Finally got it running right

Well I finally got the old model 42 running right. Did some filing on the new left extractor so it would fit and now it is ejecting every time. Man, that is one fun little shotgun. I'm almost afraid to have too much fun with it thigh, given its value. Kind of thinking about selling it now and getting both me and my son new shotguns.