The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 15, 2007, 01:10 AM   #1
onlydriveford

tactical shotgun question

i have a mossberg maverick 88 tactical shotgun, fold up stock, shell holder on the stock wit pistol grip and heat shield with built in ghost sights and want to know if anyone knows where i can get a kit to put a pistol grip on the forend? or do i absolutely have to switch out the forend with a mossberg 500 which is the only way i have discovered surfing the web?
Old November 15, 2007, 04:33 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

You can't do that without registering it with and paying a $200 tax to the feds.
Vertical foregrips are verbotten now, I think.
Old November 15, 2007, 04:38 AM   #3
Austin Cowart

um

I havent heard anything about forward asst. on your pump being restricted now... Um not sure but that would require everyone in the country probably a 100,000 plus regestering theirs before the ban goes into effect. Onlydriveforce I dont think they make one for the mav 88 but check Advanced technology inc.
Old November 15, 2007, 06:35 AM   #4
Desert01

The 500 and Maverik should interchange no problem. Generaly, so long as your shotgun is at least 26" over all it is still considered a shotgun, even with out the stock. I fyou had a "pistol" like say an H&K MK-23 and put a vetical fore grip on it you would be in some strange lands I'm sure. More likely to see that on a AR "pistol".. results would probably be the same.
Old November 17, 2007, 12:36 PM   #5
.351winchester

Just a tip, from myself and a bud at work: it doesn't feel or operate as good as it loks like it would
Old November 17, 2007, 10:48 PM   #6
nemoaz

Quote:
You can't do that without registering it with and paying a $200 tax to the feds.Vertical foregrips are verbotten now, I think.
Really? What law is that?
Old November 17, 2007, 11:47 PM   #7
savasyn

Quote:
I thought they only had stupid restrictions like that here in Kalifornia, and only on rifles. I was under the impression that you could pretty much do whatever you wanted to a pump shotgun as long as you stayed away from NFA mods.
Old November 18, 2007, 02:08 AM   #8
Bill DeShivs

It may only be for pistols, but adding a vertical foregrip makes the gun an "AOW" under ATF rules. Best to check with them for legality-I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Regardless, one pistol grip makes a shotgun difficult enough to shoot. 2 makes it almost impossible.
Old November 18, 2007, 02:35 AM   #9
Boris Bush

Too much I think going around here. Check this out...........

http://www.paladinarmory.com/SBSAOW.htm
Old November 18, 2007, 10:25 AM   #10
rem870hunter

pistol grip fore end.

i bought 1 off ebay 2 years ago. i put it on my 870 although i don't have a pistol grip or an AR looking buttstock. holding it seemed steadier than the normal fore end. it was an advanced tech. brand. i bought it with the temptation on installing it on my wingmaster mag. with a rear pistol grip. i have'nt shot anything through the gun with it on. i think i might today.

sorry the manufacturer of the pistol grip was TAC-STAR not ADVANCED TECH. i did'nt shoot with it on yet. it looks too silly with a regular type buttstock.

nice wingmaster madcrate

Last edited by rem870hunter; November 19, 2007 at 09:43 AM. Reason: wrong maker of pistol grip. it made by TAC-STAR. nice shotty madcrate
Old November 18, 2007, 11:03 AM   #11
madcratebuilder

Quote:
You can't do that without registering it with and paying a $200 tax to the feds.
There may be state laws that restrict shotguns, but no fed law I know of. This is legal in Oregon.
Old November 19, 2007, 02:01 PM   #12
rem870hunter

heres mine with the tac star foregrip